Seriously No Politics ×

Just When You Think Youv'E Got It Rough.

Do you have more info? I have never heard this before!

It was the fast(s) for Ethiopia in the 80's.....it was above and beyong successful. Here's an article about it: http://www.lds.org/l...0004d82620aRCRD

and Another

Honestly, knowing what I've learned about LDS Charities (my minor was Int'l Development), I feel very comfortable about giving to them. They have almost no overhead costs at all.....the vast majority of their workers are volunteers, they co-opt on larger projects with well established and reputable charities, and they've found particular niches that work to be self-sustaining. They are great!

With luv,

BD

Edited by BlueDreams

What I would like to see is a world poverty level that is consistent across nations and not individualized to individual countries and based on buying power and not just income (when one can buy a loaf of bread for 25 cents and rent is less than $100 a month, then one can live better on less money than in a place where bread is $5 a loaf and rent for a comparable space is $1000 a month). With the usual poverty level measures you have people in America and other developed nations living a much better overall material life than someone who comes out of an impoverished and underdeveloped nation or you have a dollar amount that doesn't tell you what that dollar can provide or not provide.

Also sometimes there are lists of how much is needed to solve a world problem, like somewhere around 10 billion to ensure that every child has an education. Add up the five worse problems (food, medical, shelter, education, and one more I can't remember) and the amount is under $100 billion for the world. And yet much more than that amount has been spent already on aid (though perhaps not all specifically in those categories) and the problems still exist....to reduce the need to a simply dollar amount is imo trying to use guilt to promote more spending as opposed to actually trying to get at the root of the problem and solve it. Much easier to appeal to people's pocketbooks and just send money than actually have to think, organize and convince others to work with you on something.

Since 1960 nearly $650 billion in aid (in 2004 prices) has been provided to sub-Saharan African (SSA) countries by the OECD Development Assistance Committee (DAC) countries. And this number would be even higher if contributions from emerging non-DAC donors, such as China, India, and some of the Gulf states, were added to the total. Has all this aid been gainfully used to promote sustainable growth and development? This is difficult to answer because the links between foreign aid and countries' development are complex. However, the likely answer is, on the whole, "No." Historically, most aid has not been used very well. Much of it was never intended for development to begin with, and a large share went to war-torn and politically unstable countries where development gains have subsequently been lost. However, there is good reason to believe that substantive changes are taking place and that "more and better aid" is now going to finance development programs.

Technical cooperation, much of it spent on foreign advisors, has historically been the second largest component of aid—even though finance for training programs, analytic reports, and expert advice may never actually cross the borders of the donor country.

http://www.imf.org/e...12/sundberg.htm

Edited by calmoriah

What I would like to see is a world poverty level that is consistent across nations and not individualized to individual countries and based on buying power and not just income (when one can buy a loaf of bread for 25 cents and rent is less than $100 a month, then one can live better on less money than in a place where bread is $5 a loaf and rent for a comparable space is $1000 a month). With the usual poverty level measures you have people in America and other developed nations living a much better overall material life than someone who comes out of an impoverished and underdeveloped nation or you have a dollar amount that doesn't tell you what that dollar can provide or not provide.

I wish you were slotted as the first woman president and not Hillary. :(;)

It was the fast(s) for Ethiopia in the 80's.....it was above and beyong successful. Here's an article about it: http://www.lds.org/l...0004d82620aRCRD

and Another

Honestly, knowing what I've learned about LDS Charities (my minor was Int'l Development), I feel very comfortable about giving to them. They have almost no overhead costs at all.....the vast majority of their workers are volunteers, they co-opt on larger projects with well established and reputable charities, and they've found particular niches that work to be self-sustaining. They are great!

With luv,

BD

Well I should have remembered, I sure hope I gave a generous fast offering! This is good to know, thanks BD & Pa Pa.
I was waiting for someone to post this. I watched a father, a mother, and a wife of 3 of the men that were killed being interviewed. It was so sad. These firefighters, go in and fight to save people, homes, etc. But did we think to make them better protected in trying to fight these horrendous fires? I wonder if we need to do better as far as equipping these people, surely there is some kind of fire protector for their bodies. They showed a zip up blue fireproof outfit, but can't remember if they say that it failed or if it was what was needed to save them. But how would it work, if they need like oxygen masks and to be covered from head to toe, that heat would just melt things. Sometimes I think that there isn't anything that could stop some raging out of control fires, but a good douse of rain, and you always pray that the heavens will pour it down. Pretty scary, especially in dry areas like the desert that we now live in.