Seriously No Politics ×

I'M Back In The Usa !

We made it to California. We sailed 7834 miles to get here from Annapolis, MD. We checked in at San Diego Friday and sailed up to Dana Point where we are anchored out. I'd like to thank those of you who prayed for us along the way. It's been a long trip with the last 900 miles bashing into headwinds and seas up the Baja coast. I guess we are acclimated to tropical weather because we froze our @#$ off. I wear up to 4 layers of clothing but I was still cold at night. I may as well get used to it, I have to park the boat and go work in Idaho for a month. Then we get to come back and sail up to San Francisco and into the Delta river system where I have a wood boat repair job lined up.

Glad you had a safe trip. What was your route? I'm assuming you didn't go all the way down around South America, but cut through somewhere.

We sailed down to Florida, around the west end of Cuba and mashed into 8-10 ft tradewinds to Grand Cayman (with much prayer involved), then we had a wonderful reach down to Panama and through the canal. I broke my leg in the Las Perlas Islands doing a dinghy take off in the surf. We then went to Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Mexico.It's about 2340 miles up the Mexican coast to the US border and every bit of it is against the wind and seas. The next time I go down, I won't be coming back. Gentlemen don't sail to weather and I'm trying to learn to be a gentleman.

We made it to California. We sailed 7834 miles to get here from Annapolis, MD. We checked in at San Diego Friday and sailed up to Dana Point where we are anchored out. I'd like to thank those of you who prayed for us along the way. It's been a long trip with the last 900 miles bashing into headwinds and seas up the Baja coast. I guess we are acclimated to tropical weather because we froze our @#$ off. I wear up to 4 layers of clothing but I was still cold at night. I may as well get used to it, I have to park the boat and go work in Idaho for a month. Then we get to come back and sail up to San Francisco and into the Delta river system where I have a wood boat repair job lined up.

Old quote..."The coldest winder I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". Glad you are ok. :)

As promised, I kept the lower lights burning for you, Brother Rod! Welcome back! :)

We sailed down to Florida, around the west end of Cuba and mashed into 8-10 ft tradewinds to Grand Cayman (with much prayer involved), then we had a wonderful reach down to Panama and through the canal. I broke my leg in the Las Perlas Islands doing a dinghy take off in the surf. We then went to Costa Rica, El Salvador, and Mexico.It's about 2340 miles up the Mexican coast to the US border and every bit of it is against the wind and seas. The next time I go down, I won't be coming back. Gentlemen don't sail to weather and I'm trying to learn to be a gentleman.

Glad to hear of your successful conclusion to your voyage. I am here in Idaho about 100 miles east of Boise. If you are going to be close PM me and maybe get together for a meal or a Dr. Pepper.

Ray

Edited by ERayR

Hello Rodheadlee...

How thankful I am to hear that you and Patti have made it safely... what a trip!! I do admire your skill at seamanship... or in today's politically correct climate... seapersonship... ;)

And I hope the sealeg you broke has healed nicely.

Prayers for you and Patti always...

GG

Hey rodheadlee,

I'm very glad you're back safe and sound.

Old quote..."The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco". Glad you are ok. :)

It was Mark Twain who said this... and, I can certainly vouch for it... Many times during the summer when the weather would heat up into the 90's+ in the east Bay and eastward, it would draw the cold, damp fog in from the ocean along the coast. San Fran State Univ was right on the coast and it could be a nice, sunny morning and then by afternoon the fog would roll in, sometimes accompanied with a cold wind right off the ocean. My office was on the 6th floor of the library and it was amazing to watch the fog roll in and out. Sometimes during the summer months my co-workers and I would walk out to the parking lot bundled up in our coats and wool scarfs around our necks... incredible.

GG