Seriously No Politics ×

Mormon Themes In Man Of Steel

Okay you sci-fi geeks, did anybody else notice all the Mormon themes in the new Superman movie? We're there Mormons involved in the production?

Okay you sci-fi geeks, did anybody else notice all the Mormon themes in the new Superman movie? We're there Mormons involved in the production?

What do you think they were?

What do you think they were?

Uh, don't want to be a spoiler, but free agency, the golden questions to name a few. Just went to see it with my son and daughter in law. They were so convinced that they sat through all the credits looking for a Mormon name they recognised.

What is also astonishing is the degree to which many real and imaginary heroes share common patterns of life: see Theodor Gaster, Myth, Legend, and Custom in the Old Testament (N.Y.: Harper & Row, 1969), 225; and Brian Lewis, The Sargon Legend: A Study of the Akkadian Text and the Tale of the Hero Who was Exposed at Birth, ASOR Dissertation Series 4 (American Schools of Oriental Research, 1980), studying the parallels in common among 72 heroes, including Sargon, Moses, Jesus, and Superman!

What is also astonishing is the degree to which many real and imaginary heroes share common patterns of life: see Theodor Gaster, Myth, Legend, and Custom in the Old Testament (N.Y.: Harper & Row, 1969), 225; and Brian Lewis, The Sargon Legend: A Study of the Akkadian Text and the Tale of the Hero Who was Exposed at Birth, ASOR Dissertation Series 4 (American Schools of Oriental Research, 1980), studying the parallels in common among 72 heroes, including Sargon, Moses, Jesus, and Superman!

You could also mention Campbell's book, "Hero of A Thousand Faces".

Uh, don't want to be a spoiler, but free agency, the golden questions to name a few.

Agency has been a philosophical discussion for hundreds, if not thousands of years...and I was under the impression that one of the reasons that the questions are considered "golden" is because there is an inherent need in all of us to get them answered.

Agency has been a philosophical discussion for hundreds, if not thousands of years...and I was under the impression that one of the reasons that the questions are considered "golden" is because there is an inherent need in all of us to get them answered.

Yes, but we really hard pedal them.

I noticed a few things here and there when I saw it today, mainly because I had this thread in mind when I went in there. Good flick overall, I'd probably watch it again.

Not sure i would given the amount of time spent throwing people through buildings

Yes, I heard Joseph Campbell lecture once and he mentioned that all successful stories follow a certain pattern. Amazing that.

I attended an all-day lecture by him in Kansas City when he was 79 years of age, and he lectured without notes, but with slides on screen. Such a great man. You didn't attend in KC also, did you?

I loved the movie but agree with the too much destruction and throwing bodies. That last battle was too long. I didn't think of them as "Mormon" themes so much as universal themes of accepting one's duty, choosing good over evil and wanting to know where you come from. True the idea that we all come from somewhere else is a very Mormon theme in the sense no one else teaches a pre-mortal existence.

I loved the movie but agree with the too much destruction and throwing bodies. That last battle was too long. I didn't think of them as "Mormon" themes so much as universal themes of accepting one's duty, choosing good over evil and wanting to know where you come from. True the idea that we all come from somewhere else is a very Mormon theme in the sense no one else teaches a pre-mortal existence.

Well free agency played a role in the set up. I am beginning to believe the body throwing , etc is used as filler anymore. Hopefully, more people will start getting bored with it and start objecting when it is repeated over and over.

I read today in the popular press that it has "crhistian" themes and the studio hopes pastors promote it to their congregations.

http://www.google.co....47883778,d.eWU

Not sure that is very realistic, if they wanted that they could have devoted less screentime to throwing people through buildings.

So, if throwing people out of windows is defenestration, what do we call throwing people through buildings?

Actually buildings, vehicles, whatever got in the way.

Is that a need like food, shelter, clothing and water? Or a need like....

Yes, but we really hard pedal them.

I only hard-pedal when I'm riding a bike. Now, if you want to talk about hard-peddling or soft-peddling something, that's a totally different deal! ;) (Sorry; couldn't resist!)

Actually buildings, vehicles, whatever got in the way.

Call it, "Opposition in all things!" ;)