Looking For B.H. Roberts-Relief Society Manual

Duncan

Does anyone who is in Relief Society remember a story or a quotation used about 6 years ago called "O ye of Little faith"? it was originally told by Elder B.H. Roberts. It mght have been in the manual.

sorry-that should be a B.H. Roberts Story!

Edited by Duncan

Looking but need more clues....when you say 6 years ago, do you mean in one of the Teachings of the President manuals because I can only find a reference to John Taylor's manual.

Was it in a RS class or with a RS manual...two different things?

Looking but need more clues....when you say 6 years ago, do you mean in one of the Teachings of the President manuals because I can only find a reference to John Taylor's manual.

Was it in a RS class or with a RS manual...two different things?

I saw this comment on a blog and I have never heard it before

"I just gave my RS lesson Sunday and read his "Ye of Little Faith" story how they would ask any farmhouse they stopped at for lodging that night. I asked our own sister missionaries how they would feel doing that. They were grateful, of course, to have their little apartment waiting each night. A mission is hard enough, right?"

it was posted Nov. 2007

Probably could find it in the Defender of the Faith: The B. H. Roberts Story by Madsen, but unless it is a story from a church magazine or conference talk, she might have gotten it from her own resources. Will still keep looking.

There is this:

When their missionary work in the city brought violence and little positive results, Roberts and his companion turned to the rural areas of Iowa where they tried to recruit new members while “traveling without purse or scrip” such requests for food and lodging being the accepted means by which Mormon elders sustained themselves on missions in the United States during the 1800s and early 1900s. [This editor followed the practice as late as 1934 on his mission to the Cumberland Mountains of East Tennessee.] Often, when requests for a night’s lodging were turned down, Roberts was left with “nothing for me to do but to commit myself to the Lord in prayer, make a pillow of a valise, and lie down to such pleasant dreams as might come.”28 His bed might be the floor of a schoolhouse or often on the ground, behind some bushes. On one occasion he struck back at a man who denied him food and shelter by actually following the religious and vengeful ordinance of washing his feet “against one who had rejected me.”29

http://signaturebooks.com/2010/11/excerpts-essential-b-h-roberts/