Seriously No Politics ×

Abstinence Only Education Harmful?

Maidservant

There is so much wrong with this position. First, if she is offering that teaching chastity is wrong because as soon as virginity is lost one loses one's self-esteem, I don't get it. She completely misses that an understanding of repentance would block any such thought process. No one could go through such a horrendous experience and come out unscathed; but it is not helpful to distort the solution. Committing to chastity is honorable and a good choice. A proper understanding of repentance, love, forgiveness are of inestimable value. Claiming that my problems were the result of teaching abstinence is a misunderstanding of reality.

Abstinence only education is a colossal failure. Teaching abstinence as part of a well rounded education in sexuality is a colossal success.

Thanks for sharing your personal opinion.

Many years ago I had a friend who worked for the CDC. He said that they had several studies showing that these progams were very successful, but were ignored in their recommendations.

I've had both abstinence-only and sex ed. Sex ed was in 4th grade and I think later on and was a basic knowledge of your body. Abstinence-only was closer to a pep rally that scared you into not having sex and had you sign a pledge to not have sex or something like it. It was extremely ineffective in my mind. Considering that each grade seemed to be having more and more pregnancies and the sexual problems that we were hearing about from the middle school, the message wasn't exactly working on them either.

Depending how it's taught it can be harmful....that chewing gum analogy was definitely wrong. But generally I don't think it's harmful per se, just ineffective. I can't remember the stats right off the bat....I think they do have a tendency to correlate with a minor delay (like a year), but also correlated with decreased condom use when they do start. It certainly does not mean most of them will make it to marriage without some sexual experience prior. That's just the (sad) facts of my gen.

With luv,

BD

"Abstinence" taught in a secular setting, seems doomed to fail. It's a negative, saying don't do something to a group that will almost always go against what they are told not to do. Chastity and Virtue and Morality taught within the home and in our church buildings where the context of why it is so important to wait until marriage to exercise this gift from God is much more effective, along with the principle of repentance when mistakes are made.

"Abstinence" taught in a secular setting, seems doomed to fail. It's a negative, saying don't do something to a group that will almost always go against what they are told not to do. Chastity and Virtue and Morality taught within the home and in our church buildings where the context of why it is so important to wait until marriage to exercise this gift from God is much more effective, along with the principle of repentance when mistakes are made.

I believe teaching abstinence is a good thing. Teaching abstinence only is a not so good thing.

I agree and it worked with me and with my kids. It's important to teach WHY abstinence is important, which is difficult in a non-religious setting. Much of the world thinks that if you can navigate life w/o an unwed pregnancy .... or rather an unplanned and inconvenient pregnancy (which USED to be the same thing) or getting a STD, you did well. We know that tremendous spiritual damage happens with unrepented immorality that can be avoided. So abstinence must be taught, along with the doctrine of repentance.

I believe teaching abstinence is a good thing. Teaching abstinence only is a not so good thing.

I think I know what you mean, but I'd like to add another thought. Abstinence only is not likely to be successful, when you fail to teach the whole Gospel package. If you can help your kids to gain a real testimony of the Gospel, then they'll want to abstain until marriage. And as with all teaching, example is everything.

I think I know what you mean, but I'd like to add another thought. Abstinence only is not likely to be successful, when you fail to teach the whole Gospel package. If you can help your kids to gain a real testimony of the Gospel, then they'll want to abstain until marriage. And as with all teaching, example is everything.

As a LDS I can agree somewhat. What we teach in the privacy of our own homes, and churches, is what matters most in a young persons life. However once they set foot outside their homes,. and churches, they had better be armed with accurate knowledge not just of the "plumbing" but also of the emotional, financial, and social costs of premature sexual relations.

"Abstinence" taught in a secular setting, seems doomed to fail. It's a negative, saying don't do something to a group that will almost always go against what they are told not to do.

I agree that how you teach it, abstinence or conventional, will affect the success of the program. Abstinence can be taught in a non-religious context, in a postitive manner. Teaching conventional sex ed can lead to "here is how to do it" and a desire for experimentation. There is also a higher rate of failure of these techniques than abstinance. Perhaps you would suggest it would make sense that the students practice under supervision what they are being taught to increase the success rate -- don't do this, but try it this other way.

Only abstinence has a 100%success rate.

Abstinence only education is a colossal failure. Teaching abstinence as part of a well rounded education in sexuality is a colossal success.

Hey saint, it is such a failure that every time it is tried (Abstinence) it works. On the other hand the so called "birth control" success rate is not that great. I had twins on birth control. Go figure. And then you have the abomination of abortion. Good luck with that.

There is about a ten year window in which virtually everyone becomes sexually active.

Ok. More platitudes.

Hey saint, it is such a failure that every time it is tried (Abstinence) it works. On the other hand the so called "birth control" success rate is not that great. I had twins on birth control. Go figure. And then you have the abomination of abortion. Good luck with that.

We didn't get over 7 billion people by practicing "abstinence".

SEE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_birth_control_methods

Women have been known to have children after a hysterectomy. Go figure.

All I ever said about abortion is that I agree with the Church's stated position.

Ok. More platitudes.

Simply the facts of the matter. The vast majority of people will become sexually active between the ages of 15-25 years old. You have two options in this world. You can either teach them correct principles, and let them govern themselves; or you can not teach them correct principles, and they'll govern themselves anyway. I'm not too sure you'll like the results of the latter.

Tell me what are the ramifications of this story as it pertains to abortion? http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/16/man-charged-with-murder-for-allegedly-tricking-girlfriend-into-taking-an-abortion-pill/

I think this is a big deal and a story that needs to be fleshed out. It will be interesting to note that if this guy gets tried for murder what that could mean for people who are "pro choice". He clearly killed a child that he didn't want because he is a coward.

Archived