Seriously No Politics ×

Trees, Soil, And Your Garden.

Hello friends. I have been quite interesting in plants and botony for some time. Latley over the past 3 years I have planted a number of trees and made a raised garden. I had to do a raised garden because I have a freaking cable box in my back yard the supplies the rest of the neighborhood. So I could not dig were I wanted to put it. Any way are there other plant enthusiasts on this board? I had received a digital soil tester for my brithday to check the PH levels. I have noticed that most potting and garden soil has a PH of about 5.5. My clay soil is about 6.5, which surprised me as I was told that alot of our soil here in Utah is alkaline.

So, what do you guys think the proper PH should be for fruit trees and vegatable gardens? I am guessing I probably don't need to worry about it. I should note that I have about 6 inches of top soil before I get to the clay for the trees. My garden, the soil used in for it, was purchased as a "garden mix". I also have several bags of Harvest Supreme mixed in with the soil as well as a some utelite soil conditioner. I am mainly curious how to get the nicest, biggest, and tastiest fruit and veggies that I can get. Thanks much.

http://usubotanicalcenter.org/

This is a fairly good website to go to. Put in the search area what question you have, some things came up for me when I put in PH Soil. I only like gardening when I have to. My husband does and so I need to can and put up all the stuff!

Or this:

http://www.gardenguides.com/104826-tips-vegetable-gardening-utah.html

Edited by Tacenda

http://usubotanicalcenter.org/

This is a fairly good website to go to. Put in the search area what question you have, some things came up for me when I put in PH Soil. I only like gardening when I have to. My husband does and so I need to can and put up all the stuff!

Or this:

http://www.gardengui...ening-utah.html

Thanks.

I just planted two trees. They seem to be growing at a good rate and getting enough water. The only problem is I have one that is starting to lean a bit. Would you recommend stabilizing the tree or leave it? It is only a little guy so I am leaning toward leaving it.

Hello Mola...

Because my garden is flowers, vs veggies, I've planted mostly perennials so I bought several softbound books put out by Sunset, Better Homes & Gardens, Ortho, etc, available in the magazine section of your supermarket or nursery... I also invested in a Sunset volume titled "Western Gardening" which covers all aspects of flowers, shrubs, vines, trees etc etc conducive to the West... they also publish for other areas of the country by zones. These types of books are worth their cost because they answer questions such as the ones you raise on soils, watering, cultivation and more, plus the characteristics of the various species... and give ideas for how to group compatible plants to make for the best gardens, i.e., watering requirements vary for different plants and you wouldn't want to plant those requiring lots of water next to those that do not, etc. Lots of color illustrations of each plant, and for ideas on how to plant.

And I used Miracle Gro and had beautiful foilage and blooms. Just follow the directions.

I kept my lawn area mole free by using Mole Out. I did spot weeding in the lawn using Weed Out.

Weed control of larger beds takes patience and trying several methods (my previous cat, Charlie, loved the flower beds (his jungle) so I had to be careful of what products I used so as not to harm him or the birds, etc.

I'd say you need to start with a good Sunset garden book for your zone... Mine is 300+ pages and packed with information on all phases of gardening...

Most of all... enjoy working in the garden... I did some of my best praying on my hands and knees in the garden... Good luck.

GG

Hello friends. I have been quite interesting in plants and botony for some time. Latley over the past 3 years I have planted a number of trees and made a raised garden. I had to do a raised garden because I have a freaking cable box in my back yard the supplies the rest of the neighborhood. So I could not dig were I wanted to put it. Any way are there other plant enthusiasts on this board? I had received a digital soil tester for my brithday to check the PH levels. I have noticed that most potting and garden soil has a PH of about 5.5. My clay soil is about 6.5, which surprised me as I was told that alot of our soil here in Utah is alkaline.

So, what do you guys think the proper PH should be for fruit trees and vegatable gardens? I am guessing I probably don't need to worry about it. I should note that I have about 6 inches of top soil before I get to the clay for the trees. My garden, the soil used in for it, was purchased as a "garden mix". I also have several bags of Harvest Supreme mixed in with the soil as well as a some utelite soil conditioner. I am mainly curious how to get the nicest, biggest, and tastiest fruit and veggies that I can get. Thanks much.

Most garden plants prefer a soil to be 6.5 pH to as neutral as possible, but slightly acidic is better for most plants than alkaline. Potatoes prefer slightly alkaline soil. Add Sulfur to lower pH and Limestone to raise it. Organic matter tends to make the clay particles less likely to stick together for a looser soil.

I use a combination of 1 part garden soil to 1 part compost, and liberal use of Miracle Grow plant food. It works well.

I just planted two trees. They seem to be growing at a good rate and getting enough water. The only problem is I have one that is starting to lean a bit. Would you recommend stabilizing the tree or leave it? It is only a little guy so I am leaning toward leaving it.

Um you can stablize it. I have 4 trees right now that are being supported by tree stakes. and 2 of them are not very big. THey say to only leave it on for a year though. Some trees just grow crooked. But if this tree is not a tree that is not supposed to be crooked then I would stake it. It really is easy to do. If it is leaning I would do it now. It is easier to stake a tree now then later.

Hello Mola...

Because my garden is flowers, vs veggies, I've planted mostly perennials so I bought several softbound books put out by Sunset, Better Homes & Gardens, Ortho, etc, available in the magazine section of your supermarket or nursery... I also invested in a Sunset volume titled "Western Gardening" which covers all aspects of flowers, shrubs, vines, trees etc etc conducive to the West... they also publish for other areas of the country by zones. These types of books are worth their cost because they answer questions such as the ones you raise on soils, watering, cultivation and more, plus the characteristics of the various species... and give ideas for how to group compatible plants to make for the best gardens, i.e., watering requirements vary for different plants and you wouldn't want to plant those requiring lots of water next to those that do not, etc. Lots of color illustrations of each plant, and for ideas on how to plant.

And I used Miracle Gro and had beautiful foilage and blooms. Just follow the directions.

I kept my lawn area mole free by using Mole Out. I did spot weeding in the lawn using Weed Out.

Weed control of larger beds takes patience and trying several methods (my previous cat, Charlie, loved the flower beds (his jungle) so I had to be careful of what products I used so as not to harm him or the birds, etc.

I'd say you need to start with a good Sunset garden book for your zone... Mine is 300+ pages and packed with information on all phases of gardening...

Most of all... enjoy working in the garden... I did some of my best praying on my hands and knees in the garden... Good luck.

GG

Great advice. I till check some of those books out. And I have not tried Miracle Grow. I will try it this year. Also, that is really good adive about the water requirements for plants. I had not considered that before. Right now I just have peas and asparagus and spinache from last year. If you had one book to buy about Trees, plants and gardening what one would it be?

We are considering a green house next year. That should be alot of fun.

You might want to talk to these guys, my husband loves them:

http://www.centralutahgardens.org/

Word. I can see this being useful. Edited by Mola Ram Suda Ram

Most garden plants prefer a soil to be 6.5 pH to as neutral as possible, but slightly acidic is better for most plants than alkaline. Potatoes prefer slightly alkaline soil. Add Sulfur to lower pH and Limestone to raise it. Organic matter tends to make the clay particles less likely to stick together for a looser soil.

I use a combination of 1 part garden soil to 1 part compost, and liberal use of Miracle Grow plant food. It works well.

Miracle Grow it is. I will go get some. Right now most of my yard is at a 6.5. My garden is at a 5.5. But that is because i have lots of organic matter in that garden. And my wife does not want potatoes because she is affraid it will take over our garden. I am actually shocked that my clay soil 2 feet down is still at 6.5. I really thought it would be alkaline. But I never grab the grass when I mow. I always mulch it and I wonder if that is helping my yard.

Miracle Grow it is. I will go get some. Right now most of my yard is at a 6.5. My garden is at a 5.5. But that is because i have lots of organic matter in that garden. And my wife does not want potatoes because she is affraid it will take over our garden. I am actually shocked that my clay soil 2 feet down is still at 6.5. I really thought it would be alkaline. But I never grab the grass when I mow. I always mulch it and I wonder if that is helping my yard.

5.5 pH is too acidic for most garden plants. Add a little Lime to bring up your pH.

I've never heard of potatoes overrunning a garden. If she fears that problem just keep the potato plants in a separate garden box(s).

6.5 pH is better for garden plants than 5.5 pH.

I don't know your specific location conditions. So try adding Gypsum to further loosen clay soils.

Two feet deep soil is fine for most garden plants. Three for most trees, though you might have to stake them until they are more mature.

If you had one book to buy about Trees, plants and gardening what one would it be?

Mola...

I would opt for the large Sunset gardening book for your area/zone...

They also put out the soft bound (beautiful) books on specific aspects of gardening, i.e., vegetables, container gardening, perennials, shrubs and trees, and also specific information for your zone...

Your local bookstore, or even the library, would carry these books...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

5.5 pH is too acidic for most garden plants. Add a little Lime to bring up your pH.

I've never heard of potatoes overrunning a garden. If she fears that problem just keep the potato plants in a separate garden box(s).

6.5 pH is better for garden plants than 5.5 pH.

I don't know your specific location conditions. So try adding Gypsum to further loosen clay soils.

Two feet deep soil is fine for most garden plants. Three for most trees, though you might have to stake them until they are more mature.

OK good advise. I was surpirsed that 5.5 was the PH of the "potting soil". I have several plants in pots and all of them are 5.5 and have the same potting soil bought at different times through out the years. But yeah, I think you are right that 6.5 is probably better. And Gypsum, I need to check that out. That is a good idea.

Mola...

I would opt for the large Sunset gardening book for your area/zone...

They also put out the soft bound (beautiful) books on specific aspects of gardening, i.e., vegetables, container gardening, perennials, shrubs and trees, and also specific information for your zone...

Your local bookstore, or even the library, would carry these books...

GG

Cool, I will go check it out. Thanks so much.