Seriously No Politics ×

Political Internship

First thing you need to know is that it is not alright to drop the names of important people you know in casual conversations or blogospheres, unless you have been told by the campaign to do that. (You could have asked your question without saying with whom.)

A personal principle that will be defining for me. Not only defining by myself but also for those around me.

So if you are sitting at a table and someone passes the coffee pot or a mug filled with coffee down to the person next to you, are you going to refuse to touch the pot/mug and require that person to reach over you to get it him/herself?

Not being derogatory here, trying to understand the principle behind your choice.

Edited by calmoriah

I also want to thank everybody for sound advice. Exactly what I was looking for to challenge the moves I will make. The funny part is you two, Saints Alive and Erayr, are two of the people I respect most on this board. That makes me a fool with a tool who will not take advice.

For the record, I don't have a problem with you refusing to get coffee. I just have a hard time understanding why you have a problem with it. I think it might cause some friction but I doubt it will ruin your experiance. Good luck.

So if you are sitting at a table and someone passes the coffee pot or a mug filled with coffee down to the person next to you, are you going to refuse to touch the pot/mug and require that person to reach over you to get it him/herself?

Not being derogatory here, trying to understand the principle behind your choice.

The principle is that I will not get somebody something I do not agree with. As far as the situation you stated, I would pass the mug or pot that is just good manners.

First thing you need to know is that it is not alright to drop the names of important people you know in casual conversations or blogospheres, unless you have been told by the campaign to do that. (You could have asked your question without saying with whom.)

The key is that you do not drop private or controversial information. You also seem confused about the fact that interning for a politician and interning for his campaign are two completely different internships.

Edited by tyler90az

The key is that you do not drop private or controversial information. You also seem confused about the fact that interning for a politician and interning for his campaign are two completely different internships.

Some internships are better than others. Personally I don't look at a political internship, whether it be for his campaign or for him personally, as one of the better ones. It depends on where one is headed with their life.

Edited by ERayR

And the second is to absorb constructive criticism, without telling the person offering it that they are stupid and wrong and you know more than they do (doesn't matter the words you use to convey such). Interns of any stripe are the lowest rung of the ladder. Good ones shut up and absorb, and learn and as they do, they'll be invited more and more to be something more than someone whose job it is to get things done in the manner they are told to do them. (No I'm not saying you have to agree with everything, just that you need to take it in without arguing why you are right and the person offering it is wrong, and actually examine it to see what you can learn from it.)

As a member of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints we believe coffee is addicting

I doubt you will find any such church doctrine. Fact is that we do not know why we don't drink coffee, other than that is what we have been told not to drink. Do you know that some people with ADHD find drinking caffeine to be the stimulant that makes it possible to avoid the medicine that has other side effects (doesn't work this way for everyone, but for some)? Drs. sometimes prescribe it as medicine.

And isn't it a titch self-righteous to decide whether some substance is bad for someone else? Who made you arbiter of what is good and bad for anyone other than those in your own stewardship?

If you are going to stand on principle, at least be sure you really know your own faith's doctrines, and not just the traditions of church members in your community.

I doubt you will find any such church doctrine.

I did a site search on lds.org and found no instance of "coffee is addicting" or "the addiction of coffee" though there are some accounts about individuals addicted to it being helped to give it up by the Spirit, discussion about the addictive nature of caffeine and other drugs and advice to avoid them, etc.

I would say that while it is recognized due to scientific evidence that there are some addicting aspects of coffee and this is at times discussed in the context of the WoW, that it is not "doctrinal" in the sense that is what is defined in the WoW as to why we avoid it though it may be how some people interpret it.

Not all truth is doctrine.

Edited by calmoriah

That your son went to Harvard is something to be proud about.

Sorry it was his friend Taylor West...

Joshua my son went to Weber State, with honors, just before his graduation he returned here to Atlanta and took 1st and 2nd place in National Computer competition. But when he worked as an intern in his field well it all runs the risks of disenchantment. For him he loved it, Taylor did not.

Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee

And the second is to absorb constructive criticism, without telling the person offering it that they are stupid and wrong and you know more than they do (doesn't matter the words you use to convey such). Interns of any stripe are the lowest rung of the ladder. Good ones shut up and absorb, and learn and as they do, they'll be invited more and more to be something more than someone whose job it is to get things done in the manner they are told to do them. (No I'm not saying you have to agree with everything, just that you need to take it in without arguing why you are right and the person offering it is wrong, and actually examine it to see what you can learn from it.)

Logical fail on multiple accounts.

First, you expect me to take your criticism with something more then a grain of salt without providing any credentials. When by your first post in this thread it seems like you have never held a political internship or worked in a political office. That was induced by the fact you lumped a political office and a campaign together.

Second, you assume not taking obviously worthless criticism from some person on the internet named RPN with a description of violets means I will never take criticism. Then you once again illogically follow that with I will argue or try to prove I am right. There is a big difference between you and my boss.

Third, your first sentence must be a reflection of yourself. No where in my post did I come close to saying you were stupid. Going from disagreeing with your opinion to you assuming I am calling you stupid is a big logical fail.

Edited by tyler90az

I doubt you will find any such church doctrine. Fact is that we do not know why we don't drink coffee, other than that is what we have been told not to drink. Do you know that some people with ADHD find drinking caffeine to be the stimulant that makes it possible to avoid the medicine that has other side effects (doesn't work this way for everyone, but for some)? Drs. sometimes prescribe it as medicine.

And isn't it a titch self-righteous to decide whether some substance is bad for someone else? Who made you arbiter of what is good and bad for anyone other than those in your own stewardship?

If you are going to stand on principle, at least be sure you really know your own faith's doctrines, and not just the traditions of church members in your community.

I smell logical fallacies.

First, just because it is a personal principle of mine not to get coffee does not make me self-righteous. You should be able to figure out the logical fallacy in that, right?

Second, you assume because I am standing on principle I am standing on a church doctrine. You should be able to figure out the logical fallacy in that, right?

Third, you assume I am relying on traditions of church members in my community for doctrine. You should be able to figure out the logical fallacy in that, right?

As far as coffee being I addicting, I search lds.org and see all kinds of information about how coffee is addicting. I even go to the specific WoW page https://www.lds.org/topics/word-of-wisdom?lang=eng .

Russel M. Nelson says, "One keeps the Word of Wisdom knowing that obedience will not only bring freedom from addiction, but it will also add blessings of wisdom and treasures of knowledge.”

Just for you though, I will change my wording to I think coffee is addicting.

I smell logical fallacies.

'tyler90az' In all kindness I smell youthful arrogance. That is a trait that will not serve you well. There is an ld adage that it is better to keep ones mouth closed and be thought of as a fool than to open it and leave no doubt.

I have no doubt that you are a bright young man with a great future ahead of you. I would suggest that it would be wise of you to quietly gain experience and perhaps some wisdom.

Hebrews 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet alearned he bobedience by the things which he csuffered;

'tyler90az' In all kindness I smell youthful arrogance. That is a trait that will not serve you well. There is an ld adage that it is better to keep ones mouth closed and be thought of as a fool than to open it and leave no doubt.

I have no doubt that you are a bright young man with a great future ahead of you. I would suggest that it would be wise of you to quietly gain experience and perhaps some wisdom.

Hebrews 5:8 Though he were a Son, yet alearned he bobedience by the things which he csuffered;

That is a wrong assumption and personal attack.

That is a wrong assumption and personal attack.

It was not meant as a personal attack. I don't have any "skin in the game" so I have nothing to defend. It was, from an old guy to one just starting out, meant only to help you get more out of the experience. Do with it what you will,

My son and a young man I used to teach in Priesthood got a "full ride" to Harvard, majored in Political Science and did it, came back home and said he never wanted to Washington again. :( Good luck :)

Doesn't surprise me at all. Universities and Washington can both be toxic.

I ended up being blessed with an opportunity to be a political intern for a great guy Rep. Raul Grijalva. Does anybody have experience with this type of internship? Any advice will serve me well.

Hold tightly to what your parents hopefully taught you. Stay focused on the Constitution and the inspired intent of the founding fathers to keep government very limited. Don't get sucked into the political bubble. NEVER act like a politician and always be honest. I could go on and on, but will stop there.