Seriously No Politics ×

Political Internship

I ended up being blessed with an opportunity to be a political intern for a great guy Rep. Raul Grijalva. Does anybody have experience with this type of internship? Any advice will serve me well.

Edited by tyler90az

I ended up scoring a political intership for a great guy Rep. Raul Grijalva. Does anybody have experience with this type of internship? Any advice will serve me well.

No advice, just had a niece who really enjoyed the work.

I ended up being blessed with an opportunity to be a political intern for a great guy Rep. Raul Grijalva. Does anybody have experience with this type of internship? Any advice will serve me well.

My son and a young man I used to teach in Priesthood got a "full ride" to Harvard, majored in Political Science and did it, came back home and said he never wanted to Washington again. :( Good luck :)

Why not?

As a member of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints we believe coffee is addicting. That is why I choose not to take part in the drinking or supplying. Not that I have anything against coffee drinkers my mom and dad both drink a cup every morning. I would be more then happy to get you anything else you need. Do you like coffee cake?

As a member of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints we believe coffee is addicting. That is why I choose not to take part in the drinking or supplying. Not that I have anything against coffee drinkers my mom and dad both drink a cup every morning. I would be more then happy to get you anything else you need. Do you like coffee cake?

Me thinks I see some problems coming already.

As a member of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints we believe coffee is addicting

No we don't, some might believe that is the reason the WoW prohibits it but there really isn't any doctrinal reason why it is banned.

That is why I choose not to take part in the drinking or supplying. Not that I have anything against coffee drinkers my mom and dad both drink a cup every morning. I would be more then happy to get you anything else you need. Do you like coffee cake?

It's not like you are paying for their coffee habit, they are just asking you to get it for them so they don't have to stop working and go get it them-self

Me thinks I see some problems coming already.

I think you underestimate the kindness of Rep. Raul Grijalva and his staffers. Most people will admire somebody who is principled, I know he will. Being Catholic he will understand and respect my beliefs. He is a sincere man that is trying to do what is best for his constituents. That tells me that he likes sincerity in a person.

My son and a young man I used to teach in Priesthood got a "full ride" to Harvard, majored in Political Science and did it, came back home and said he never wanted to Washington again. :sad: Good luck :)

That your son went to Harvard is something to be proud about.

I will be in one of his local offices not on the hill. It provides me the best opportunity to help people out.

Oh brother...

Where have you interned at before? You seem to be lacking in knowledge of what excactly I will be doing. The coffee thing was more of a joke then anything else. This is different then what people think about an interns tasks.

As far as compromising on principles, I refuse. It is your perogrative to get somebody's coffee or even sell it. That is fine by me, the Marriots sell alcohol and are opened on Sunday. They are great members in my eyes. My in-laws own a motel and they are opened on Sunday. That is fine, nothing wrong with that. On the other hand, it would be breaking a personal principle I have.

Where have you interned at before? You seem to be lacking in knowledge of what excactly I will be doing. The coffee thing was more of a joke then anything else. This is different then what people think about an interns tasks.

As far as compromising on principles, I refuse. It is your perogrative to get somebody's coffee or even sell it. That is fine by me, the Marriots sell alcohol and are opened on Sunday. They are great members in my eyes. My in-laws own a motel and they are opened on Sunday. That is fine, nothing wrong with that. On the other hand, it would be breaking a personal principle I have.

If nothing else it will be a great excuse not to get their coffee and might open doors to the church, you never know. Also, Tyler what a great opportunity for you, I'm jealous and this will look so good on a resume, probably as good as a degree!:)

Afterthought here.....despite what I said above, I worry for you to not look like a goody two shoes either or possibly a snob, I'm sure there are thousands of LDS waiters/waitresses that serve coffee out there. So if you change your mind, don't be too hard on yourself!

Afterthought here.....despite what I said above, I worry for you to not look like a goody two shoes either or possibly a snob, I'm sure there are thousands of LDS waiters/waitresses that serve coffee out there. So if you change your mind, don't be too hard on yourself!

My thoughts exactly.

I can not compromise on principle.

What principle would you be compromising? You have covenanted not to partake yourself, not to police everybody else.

As kind as he/they are your job as an intern is to do the grunt work. That means running for whatever someone wants or needs as long as it isn't illegal. You are there to free up time for the staffers that they can turn into productive time.

Edited by ERayR

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. If I were 40 years younger I'd be tempted.

Sounds like a wonderful opportunity. If I were 40 years younger I'd be tempted.

Seriously, TSS, as different as we are politically, I have no doubt you would have been a terrific intern and been a real asset to your people...

GG

What principle would you be compromising? You have covenanted not to partake yourself, not to police everybody else.

As kind as he/they are your job as an intern is to do the grunt work. That means running for whatever someone wants or needs as long as it isn't illegal. You are there to free up time for the staffers that they can turn into productive time.

A personal principle that will be defining for me. Not only defining by myself but also for those around me.

I also want to thank everybody for sound advice. Exactly what I was looking for to challenge the moves I will make. The funny part is you two, Saints Alive and Erayr, are two of the people I respect most on this board. That makes me a fool with a tool who will not take advice.

I also want to thank everybody for sound advice. Exactly what I was looking for to challenge the moves I will make. The funny part is you two, Saints Alive and Erayr, are two of the people I respect most on this board. That makes me a fool with a tool who will not take advice.

I did not post what I posted lightly. Having been around in a profession that provides a lot of internships (accountant) I am quite familiar with them. In my experience interns who come to the job with an attitude that they will not do the menial work either soon come to a realizations that they work at the discretion of their employer or they don't work long. If one is willing to control their ego and do what is expected of them they can learn a lot and have a rewarding experience. If not then it is much less so.

As to your running for coffee hangup just remember BY advised the saints who he sent out to colonize the remote areas to take coffee and tobacco as trade goods. Don't call for a CFR as I don't have time to look it up right now.

I did not post what I posted lightly. Having been around in a profession that provides a lot of internships (accountant) I am quite familiar with them. In my experience interns who come to the job with an attitude that they will not do the menial work either soon come to a realizations that they work at the discretion of their employer or they don't work long. If one is willing to control their ego and do what is expected of them they can learn a lot and have a rewarding experience. If not then it is much less so.

As to your running for coffee hangup just remember BY advised the saints who he sent out to colonize the remote areas to take coffee and tobacco as trade goods. Don't call for a CFR as I don't have time to look it up right now.

This has nothing to do with my ego or refuse to do menial work.

Edited by tyler90az

This has nothing to do with my ego or refuse to do menial work.

I don't doubt you but it will certainly be taken as such by some of your associates especially your fellow interns.

Edited by ERayR