Seriously No Politics ×

Caffeine Added To Food Products Investigated

cdowis

Federal regulators are troubled by processes that add caffeine to food products, a growing trend over which they currently have little oversight.

Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Deputy Commissioner for Food and Veterinary Medicine Michael Taylor called caffeine additives in snacks from jellybeans to waffles to energy drinks "very disturbing to us" in an interview posted by the agency on Friday.

This week, Taylor announced that the FDA would investigate the effect that foods with added caffeine have on the public and children's health. He left the door open for future action from the agency, but in the published remarks on Friday he seemed skeptical about the possibility of imposing age restrictions on caffeine.

"While various uses may meet federal food safety standards, the only time FDA explicitly approved adding caffeine was for colas in the 1950s," Taylor said. "Existing rules never anticipated the current proliferation of caffeinated products."

The examination of risks posed by caffeinated foods comes in response to Wrigley's recent launch of Alert Energy Caffeine Gum, a product Taylor called "just one more unfortunate example of the trend to add caffeine to food."

.......The FDA has previously advised that 600 milligrams of the drug, the equivalent of four to seven cups of coffee, can be too much for adults.

http://thehill.com/b...ery-disturbingq

I hope they are only talking about additives, going to have a rebellion on our hands if they mess with chocolate.

Very little offends me.

I remember when I first joined the church a friend tole me that we should not drink Coke. We went to a restaurant where he offered me a Dr Pepper, which has as much or more than Coke.

There is no need to add caffeine to foods that don't already have it. We can't taste in anyway. The FDA is rightly concerned. Of more concern to me is the overuse of sugar and high fructose corn syrup in processed foods. A little is fine but when I add up all the sugary sweet components of some foods it comes to be the largest components, and that is too much.

There is no need to add caffeine to foods that don't already have it. We can't taste in anyway. The FDA is rightly concerned. Of more concern to me is the overuse of sugar and high fructose corn syrup in processed foods. A little is fine but when I add up all the sugary sweet components of some foods it comes to be the largest components, and that is too much.

I agree, but I think that rather than regulate the high fructose corn syrup, etc. would prefer to see an intense educational campaign and let consumer pressure build. Perhaps require some warning labels, etc.

I agree, but I think that rather than regulate the high fructose corn syrup, etc. would prefer to see an intense educational campaign and let consumer pressure build. Perhaps require some warning labels, etc.

Of course education is essential. Regulation is there to protect the unwary and the unwise from the unscrupulous. There are reasons for the laws(regulations) against Snake Oil salesmen.

There is no need to add caffeine to foods that don't already have it. We can't taste in anyway.

Has nothing to do with taste, but to give the consumer a high-- also slightly addictive.

Has nothing to do with taste, but to give the consumer a high-- also slightly addictive.

The sugar and calories are a bigger problem. Even some Root Beer makers have gone to putting Caffeine in their drinks. Some studies have pointed to the increase in carbonated beverage use as the leading factor in obesity in Americans.

The sugar and calories are a bigger problem.

For some people caffeine is a major issue though, either because of a sensitivity or due to complicating medical issues such as sleep disorders or high blood pressure especially among seniors.

For some people caffeine is a major issue though, either because of a sensitivity or due to complicating medical issues such as sleep disorders or high blood pressure especially among seniors.

I don't believe we should curtail our food habits, just because some maybe offended that food. My Granddaughter is deathly allergic to poultry. Her lungs clog up even at the smell of it. I obviously don't serve it to her or prepare it when I know she is to come over. However that doesn't stop me from eating it.

I don't believe we should curtail our food habits, just because some maybe offended that food. My Granddaughter is deathly allergic to poultry. Her lungs clog up even at the smell of it. I obviously don't serve it to her or prepare it when I know she is to come over. However that doesn't stop me from eating it.

Do you hold the same standard for sugar and calories? Because I know a lot of people who are not bothered by such in the least so why curtail our food habits because some may be 'offended' by that food? Why not let those who have an issue with it deal with whatever issue there is themselves? As long as there is proper labeling so they can have access to the information they need for health purposes, that should be enough by your standard as expressed above, right?

Do you hold the same standard for sugar and calories? Because I know a lot of people who are not bothered by such in the least so why curtail our food habits because some may be 'offended' by that food? Why not let those who have an issue with it deal with whatever issue there is themselves? As long as there is proper labeling so they can have access to the information they need for health purposes, that should be enough by your standard as expressed above, right?

As long as it is truly fully informed consent of an adult, no problem from me. IE: An adult can drink Snake Oil after fully knowing that it is either worthless as a cure, or is actually detrimental to their health. Non-adults are another question.

• 2 weeks later...

Hm, now if we could just link caffeine to homosexuality the number of comments on this topic would explode, course I guess adding tasteless addictive substances to food is not immoral?

Yes it is rather immoral. Adding anything that isn't already there, that is addictive or causes disease should be strictly illegal. IE; Chocolate already has a small amount of caffeine in it, adding more caffeine should be illegal.

Well unless it tastes good...but would agree since caffeine is tasteless. But then since most manufactured food falls within your definition what would our minions eat?

Soylent Green. ;)

Ah yes, but that would cause "mad cow disease."

Archived