I Need Saving Too . . .

The thread of of Juliann's regarding the Ms. Hudson article and feminism in disarray led me to read Ms. Hudson's article about companionable monogamous marriage which has been some food for thought for me, but in any case, her general point of view put me in mind of one of my favorite love scenes. I figured it wouldn't be on point in the feminism discussion, so just thought I'd share here:

Edited by Maidservant
  • 2 months later...
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By JLHPROF
      LDSLiving just published an article concerning the release of a new book by the Church History Department on the First 50 Years of the Relief Society.
      Apparently it is done in much the same style as the Joseph Smith papers, featuring a huge collection of primary documents.
      Pricey little book but it seems to provide much information on topics of interest right now (from the article):
      by 1880, women had developed a ritual to help those who were about to give birth, often calling this a "washing and anointing previous to confinement Relief Society general president Eliza R. Snow explained in 1883, “Women can administer in the name of JESUS [through faith], but not by virtue of the Priesthood Eliza R. Snow - “Is it necessary for sisters to be set apart to officiate in the sacred ordinances of washing, anointing, and laying on of hands in administering to the sick?
      "It certainly is not. Any and all sisters who honor their holy endowments, not only have the right, but should feel it a duty, whenever called upon to administer to our sisters in these ordinances, which God has graciously committed to His daughters as well as to His sons; Wilford Woodruff - There is no impropriety in sisters washing and anointing their sisters in this way, under the circumstances you describe; but it should be understood that they do this, not as members of the priesthood, but as members of the Church, exercising faith for, and asking the blessings of the Lord upon, their sisters; just as they, and every member of the Church, might do for members of their families Given all the discussion currently taking place about women's roles in the Church this book seems like it could provide some invaluable source information.

Do you think if this book were to generate sales similar to the Joseph Smith papers, that this could provide clarification on some of these issues? 
      Is this something that the general population of the Church would even bother to read or will it be a curiosity for academia and apologists?
      And could this be yet another example where the Church (ie Church History Department) publishes and makes this information readily available, but yet when the average member comes across this information they will say "the Church kept this secret", as certain gender advancement groups might claim?
    • By mfbukowski
      There were a couple of fascinating talks in last years Fairmormon Conference which implied this.
      I just wanted to suggest the topic and put the idea out there.  I had never thought about it before that conference, and now I find the idea drawing me in more and more. I will let you look up the articles because I want people to read the articles more.  No hints.
      To me, it makes perfect sense.  The Godhead is a family.  Some say the Holy Ghost is a feminine personage- the official church position is of course that He is male.
      I think we need more revelation on these issues.
      I would like the thread to be scholarly and respectful to Heavenly Mother and the human person, the mother of Jesus, Mary.
      If the thread gets funky about the conception of Jesus, I will shut it down in a heartbeat.  All are welcome, but we need to have a respectful tone.  And I really do not want this to become an EV vs LDS thread about Biblical interpretations.
    • By Calm
      Grandkids just walked in, will edit post when have time.

http://www.fairmormon.org/perspectives/fair-conferences/2015-fairmormon-conference/christs-emancipation-of-women-in-the-new-testament

Be sure and look at the slides, very beautiful pictures iirc....
    • By juliann
      I have a question for the women who defend the church (which doesn't mean you agree with every policy.)

1. Do you consider apologetics to be a "male" activity? Or at least male dominated?

2. If so, in your opinion does that discourage women from joining in?

3. What experiences have you had as a woman where you were treated differently or talked to differently than a man?

4. Have you noticed  situations where women were treated differently? (Not given the same credibility, etc.)

5. Do you feel like you are more free to speak up online than in church or in person without having to defer to "the priesthood?"  (i.e., if you were speaking to a bishop online would you consider him to have the last word as often happens in wards when it comes to doctrinal or scriptural matters?)

6. Do you notice more women coming online to talk about religion?

Any other insights?
    • By juliann
      A question for the women here who speak up for the church: Do you identify as an "apologist?" If not, would you identify as a defender of the church?

Why is  "apologetics?" so male dominated?

If you are critical of some aspects of the church, do you think that disqualifies you as being an "apologist" or defender?

If you do consider yourself a defender of the church, what motivates you?

Where are you most comfortable?  (Blogs, message boards, publishing, etc.)

I'd appreciate any and all input from women who are putting themselves out there. I think it makes you quite unique and would like to know more about the dynamics from your perspectives.