Independent Scripture Study Groups

For sure, I mentioned free speech, because that might be why the leaders were holding back from her being reprimanded. Don't know how that works in the church, but do see how leaders or you, could be concerned. In the LDS church there are too many break off churches and it only takes one person.

Edited by Tacenda

yes! he is but he has a hands off approach to this. He assigned me to go over there to assess the situation, write him a report...and then see what can be done. I told him forget that stuff just sit down with her and give her a PPI interview (potentially Perturbed Individual) Because for the past year when these converts come to my gospel principles class they say what she told them and so I heard it firsthand. I called the Bishop the other day telling him about something and I told him iIfeel she is pushing all these people to the Temple before they are ready and he agrees with me but I am like yeah but you're on the one who signed off on their recommend and so do something!!! In thinking more about this I suspect he wants us to figure out what to tell him on how to deal with it and other situations.

Tell him its his problem that's why he gets the big bucks.

My feelings on "its to soon to go to the temple" is that if they have attended a temple prep class and can honestly answer the temple recommend interview questions then its time for them to go.

Edited by ERayR

I really hate to say this, but if the bishop won't do anything maybe an appointment with the SP is in order. I think that the bishop is just afraid of the turmoil this will cause, and is afraid to do anything that will start a war. Of course I don't know him or the situation, but that's what it looks like to me.

It is easy to arm chair quarterback somebody elses ward. It is much harder when you get called into the game as the quarterback.

she can say whatever she wants makes me no nevermind but if she spoke the truth than that would make life a bit better!

Suggestion: Why don't you attend her little meetings and gently and diplomatically participate in the discussions. Perhaps you could help her too.

Edited by ERayR

right now I am trying to get a list of exed members to send out the elders to and see if they would be interested in coming back.

I am assuming you mean excommunicated for the more common reasons as opposed to those who left by choice....because I believe there is a policy in place about contacting people who have expressed a desire not to that contact.

Out of curiosity, how did her meetings get started and why do new members go to them? Are they being recommended by someone or does she just invite people? Is there an issue with just telling the new members before they go that it would be in their best interest not to but if they decide anyway, they need to understand that there is a lot of speculation and even false doctrine being taught? I would think if their missionaries were warned about it, they would want to share this info with their converts to avoid losing them down the line due to being messed up by this woman.

I am assuming you mean excommunicated for the more common reasons as opposed to those who left by choice....because I believe there is a policy in place about contacting people who have expressed a desire not to that contact.

I don't think that their is any policy in place against contacting former members, but I don't think that their is any way to get a list of former members living within a ward or stake. My understanding is that if a former member desires to come back that the bishop can request information on that specific individual. I don't think the bishop can or should request information just so the person can be contacted.

I would also be hesitant to send the missionaries to these people. The bishop seems to me to be the most appropriate person to initiate contact of this nature. If the bishop feels inspired to do so, the missionaries may be invited to teach the former member in preparation for rebaptism, but this all happens under the stewardship of the bishop, not the mission.

yeah, I wouldn't want the list of everyone but just the ones that haven't said anything about no contact, I am guessing there maybe only a small handful, but still

I don't think that their is any policy in place against contacting former members, but I don't think that their is any way to get a list of former members living within a ward or stake. My understanding is that if a former member desires to come back that the bishop can request information on that specific individual. I don't think the bishop can or should request information just so the person can be contacted.

I would also be hesitant to send the missionaries to these people. The bishop seems to me to be the most appropriate person to initiate contact of this nature. If the bishop feels inspired to do so, the missionaries may be invited to teach the former member in preparation for rebaptism, but this all happens under the stewardship of the bishop, not the mission.

this isn't happening because the Bishop doesn't know who they are, I asked! I was talking to a friend of mine last night about me wanting to get the names and addresses of exed members, he is a Bishop in one of the wards here in the city. I can't recall how this guy was found either he just showed up to Church or the elders tracted into him or approached him or something. Anyways, he was found or found us somehow and his records weren't even in the city. he moved from Alberta some years ago to here and was exed out there so basically he was living under the radar! haha! Anyways he started coming back to Church, was fine and was rebaptized and now he teaches EQ. That is what I want, finding these people that yeah made some mistakes in their lives but got things figured out and want to come back-butwe can't help them if we don't know who they are or where they are! haha!

Edited by Duncan

Out of curiosity, how did her meetings get started and why do new members go to them? Are they being recommended by someone or does she just invite people? Is there an issue with just telling the new members before they go that it would be in their best interest not to but if they decide anyway, they need to understand that there is a lot of speculation and even false doctrine being taught? I would think if their missionaries were warned about it, they would want to share this info with their converts to avoid losing them down the line due to being messed up by this woman.

she just started it and she invited the new members over. The elders are dealing with them and I am in the class but they still go to these mtgs and it still continues. I know one guy gto messed up by her on the Holy Ghost so I gave him a book about the subject and sometime later he came back and I think he was more confused then before, he heard things from her, then read the book or portions of it and now doesn't know what to think.

I hate to say this but there is one lady who is well...ditzy. You can explain things to her over and over and over again and others can explain to her over and over and it isn't sinking in. I was asked if she could be moved out the class because she has been a member for about 18 months now and I said no way! She just went to the Temple and I am cautiously optimistic about how her experience went, so a group of them went out to various Canadian Temples and I think they'll be back this sunday and we'll see how things went dot dot dot!

Edited by Duncan

. That is what I want, finding these people that yeah made some mistakes in their lives but got things figured out and want to come back-butwe can't help them if we don't know who they are or where they are! haha!

I can see why there wouldn't be but also there should be something somewhere saying yeah he was a member at one point! haha!

Duncan... why the "ha ha's"?

GG

It would be nice to find a study group like that. I do understand why the church would not authorize it though. There is always an alpha and he/she can take the group any which way he/she wants. A majority of the time a person would not try to lead anyone away. If t did happen though it could be a big number of members lost.

yes! he is but he has a hands off approach to this. He assigned me to go over there to assess the situation, write him a report...and then see what can be done. I told him forget that stuff just sit down with her and give her a PPI interview (potentially Perturbed Individual) Because for the past year when these converts come to my gospel principles class they say what she told them and so I heard it firsthand. I called the Bishop the other day telling him about something and I told him iIfeel she is pushing all these people to the Temple before they are ready and he agrees with me but I am like yeah but you're on the one who signed off on their recommend and so do something!!! In thinking more about this I suspect he wants us to figure out what to tell him on how to deal with it and other situations.

Just write the report, for crying out loud! In order to proceed the Bishop needs hard evidence. He assigned you to do it. So get gathering and write the report. Make it as detailed as is possible and document each and every false teaching that you hear, including dates and times of the meetings. I can pretty much guarantee that if you do as you were assigned your Bishop will do something about it. Make sure you have a witness with you who also should add to the report. To put a stop to something like this you need two or more witnesses who are willing to come forward and make the details known to the Bishop so that he can proceed properly. Until he has hard evidence it is just your opinion and it is very likely that little will be done and the Stake President will side with him on this matter until proper procedures are followed. So, get cracking.

P.S.: Sorry if I seem harsh but your bishop's hands are virtually tied until you get that report to him and bring forward at least two witnesses (including yourself) who are willing to come forward.

As an afterthought, you always could arrange to have someone knowledgeable about the scriptures and doctrines of the Church and offer correctives to the false doctrines being bandied about. Always bring scripture into the equation. Church manuals also are handy. Make sure to pray beforehand that the Spirit of the Lord be with you so as to be able to correct the false ideas being fed to these new converts by another. In any case, that detailed report needs to be written so that the Bishop can make a determination as to the next step. What needs to be done is waiting on you.

Edited by MormonMason