Book Of Mormon Musical - Good Lds Press In Uk

canard78

Thought you might like to see what a great favour the southpark guys are doing us in UK.

We've been getting some great press (The Independent is one of the national newspapers. They'd often be a little snooty about religion as a fairly progressive/left-leaning newspaper, but this runs well for us):

...SNIP...

We live in a liberal age, when most people acknowledge the right of artists to take creative risks. But these are also times when everyone seems so quick to take offence. We see it all the time: one off-colour remark, one misguided tweet, even a trumped-up charge of calling a copper a pleb, and the sky falls in on the hapless perpetrator. How dare you insult me/us/them. Which makes the reaction to The Book of Mormon, particularly within the Mormon establishment, extremely interesting.

There's been none of the hoo-ha from religious zealots that has attended every production of Jesus Christ Superstar, and no one has yet picketed the theatres in the way Christian groups did for Jerry Springer: The Opera. Quite the opposite, in fact, and this morning Londoners will notice a different kind of billboard relating to the Mormon faith. Instead of complaining about a musical show that pokes fun at their religion, the Church of Latter Day Saints has chosen to capture the moment by launching a marketing campaign of their own. Brightly-coloured ads showing attractive young people of all ethnicities with the slogan "I'm a Mormon" are to be seen at Tube Stations - sometimes in very close proximity to ones for the show - and on the sides of London buses. "You've seen the play, now read the book," reads an advert in the programme for the show itself.

Whoever is advising the Mormon Church on their public relations and advertising strategy should take a bow. It would have been so easy to whip up a storm around the musical. The Mormons could have had all the publicity they wanted: demos, protests, questions in the House. But that would have been the wrong sort of publicity. By eschewing boiler-plate indignation and accentuating the positive, the Mormons can be seen as modern, open, inclusive and understanding. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mormon population of Britain (190,000 and rising) gets a boost as a result.

http://www.independe...de-8563289.html

Here's a copy of one of the 'I'm a Mormon' ads:

564042_10151625724643854_976877417_n.jpg

Please excuse the English spelling. Hopefully you Americans can still understand it. Theatres, colour and programme is actually the right way to spell each word. But I wont hold it against you...

Edited by canard78

Thought you might like to see what a great favour the southpark guys are doing us in UK.

We've been getting some great press (The Independent is one of the national newspapers. They'd often be a little snooty about religion as a fairly progressive/left-leaning newspaper, but this runs well for us):

http://www.independe...de-8563289.html

Here's a copy of one of the 'I'm a Mormon' ads:

564042_10151625724643854_976877417_n.jpg

Please excuse the English spelling. Hopefully you Americans can still understand it. Theatres, colour and programme is actually the right way to spell each word. But I wont hold it against you...

Wanna play like that huh?

It's behavior and not behaviour. It's tire and not tyre. It's organizational and not organisational.

When I get home I'll dig out an editorial from the UK trade newspaper The Stage - in it the editor praises the LDS church for taking out advert in the shows brochure.

I have to say a major factor in me finding out more about the LDS was their mature response to this show when it opened on Broadway.

Best thing I saw was 2 of the UK leaders remarking that the poster campaign for the show announced " The Mormons Are Coming!" - to which they said "We're here already" ;)

I'm tied up with work but will post up the editorial in the next day or so,

Not surprised that we are being noticed due to our unique reactions. We are a peculiar people.

I've always said the way to win souls is with kindness, not indignation. Sure, we could make a big deal out of people essenetially mocking us. Or we could do what Christ did and use it as a teaching opportunity. We could get upset when people protest us or we can treat them with kindness and give them cookies or something.

If we make the Sermon on the Mount our moral standard, we can literally change the world.