Seriously No Politics ×

Spirits Of Animals

This may have been discussed elsewhere but it came up briefly in another thread and it piqued my interest. We know that our Heavenly Parents are the literal parents of our spirits. We also know that the spiritual creation of all things pertaining to this earth preceded the physical. So who created or how did the spirits of the animals come into being and what if any part did they play in the war in heaven.

This may have been discussed elsewhere but it came up briefly in another thread and it piqued my interest. We know that our Heavenly Parents are the literal parents of our spirits. We also know that the spiritual creation of all things pertaining to this earth preceded the physical. So who created or how did the spirits of the animals come into being and what if any part did they play in the war in heaven.

Get a few T-Rex's on your side and- Yeeeehaww!

Seriously though, is the war in heaven considered physical? I always thought it was a debate/figurative.

Get a few T-Rex's on your side and- Yeeeehaww!

Seriously though, is the war in heaven considered physical? I always thought it was a debate/figurative.

I don't know it is for this purpose I come seeking further light and knowledge. But there are beasts referred to as being in the Celestial Kingdom how do they get there if they just sat around on their haunches? I assume there was some kind of spiritual warfare going on and Satan and his followers at some point got forcefully ejected.

I brushed my dog's fur to rid as many fleas as possible before giving her flea medicine. I gleefully watched about 100 fleas drown in a bowl of soapy water. What happens to their spirits? Will they be mad at me in the afterlife? God must have known they are only good to be killed (so far as we know) so did God create them just to keep up vigilant? If so, wouldn't fleas understand this "perfectly" in the world to come?

Here's a fun hypothesis for you. Living on other worlds as lower life forms is the process that refines and organizes spirits/intelligences. And I think it's got to be a very fluid process in order to accommodate evolution in the "physical realm". In other words, reincarnation. I couldn't say if the same unique individual goes through this process life form by life form, or if, as higher life forms are born, multiple spirits/intelligences are combined to create the latest unique individual.

I have a hard time reconciling it with the last step though; becoming the spirit children of God because I imagine a process that more literally mirrors the physical process in that case. So it's just an interesting thought I keep around as a work in progress and I have no particular loyalty to it.

Otherwise, I think you're going to have to make up your own hypothesis as there is no doctrine on the subject as far as I can tell.

I don't really have any thoughts on war in heaven participation other than to note that Tolkien had several great battles in his works that seemed to include all living things or at least representatives of some species on each side and his works obviously mirrored some of the more esoteric happenings referenced in Christianity such as the war in heaven.

Edited by BCSpace

If it was solidly behind bars or a glass wall with no chance of escape along with wearing a sedating collar for emergencies....why not? Could be fun.

Edited by calmoriah

I'm not a big fan of caging wild animals. Besides I've watch all the Jurassic Park movies. That's about as close as I want to get to meeting one, as in fiction.

Ps. One of the biggest expenses for any zoo is feeding the animals. The meat eaters as the biggest food expense. A small herd of cattle would be just a snack for one T-Rex.

Edited by thesometimesaint

Well then, put them on an island or lost valley or centre of the earth, let them roam free and have people tour by moving about in heavily armoured vehicles. They would have been in a lot less trouble in the first movie if they had been using specially armoured and reinforced Hummers....and oh so many other simple common sense precautions.

Edited by calmoriah

Ps. One of the biggest expenses for any zoo is feeding the animals. The meat eaters as the biggest food expense. A small herd of cattle would be just a snack for one T-Rex.

The draw would more than pay for the extra food and security, don't you think?

The draw would more than pay for the extra food and security, don't you think?

I don't believe so. Zoo's are struggling right now just to meet expenses. They already have animals that will eat people if they get too close. We have idiots now that think its OK to try to pet a lion. Imagine what a T-Rex would cost.

Edited by thesometimesaint

This may have been discussed elsewhere but it came up briefly in another thread and it piqued my interest. We know that our Heavenly Parents are the literal parents of our spirits. We also know that the spiritual creation of all things pertaining to this earth preceded the physical. So who created or how did the spirits of the animals come into being ...

I would say the spirits of animals and the spirits men were created in the same way. The fact that we are designated a special place in creation by being called the spirit children of God does not mean that the creative process was different, but stems from the fact that we are made in his image, and other creatures are not.

and what if any part did they play in the war in heaven.

That is a hard question to answer. It depends on how much agency they had. We know that we had the agency to choose; but it is not revealed if any other creatures besides us had; or if they did, how extensive it was.

I would say the spirits of animals and the spirits men were created in the same way. The fact that we are designated a special place in creation by being called the spirit children of God does not mean that the creative process was different, but stems from the fact that we are made in his image, and other creatures are not.

That is a hard question to answer. It depends on how much agency they had. We know that we had the agency to choose; but it is not revealed if any other creatures besides us had; or if they did, how extensive it was.

If they were spiritually created the same way we were then there must have been heavenly male and female bird pairs, and I would suppose even heavenly parental flea pairs.

If they were spiritually created the same way we were then there must have been heavenly male and female bird pairs, and I would suppose even heavenly parental flea pairs.

Wrong. There is no revelation or scripture that says spirits are sexually procreated; whether they be spirits of men, or beasts, or anything else. I told you, we are the spirit children of God by virtue of being created in his image, not because of sexual procreation.

Wrong. There is no revelation or scripture that says spirits are sexually procreated; whether they be spirits of men, or beasts, or anything else. I told you, we are the spirit children of God by virtue of being created in his image, not because of sexual procreation.

I do believe that Brigham Young and several of the early Apostles of the Restoration taught exactly that. Modern GAs rarely talk about anything that deep.

If the spirits of beasts are somehow different than the spirits of man - ie, they are not spirit children of our Heavenly Father or they didn't have agency in the pre-existance- that could go a log ways toward answering many of the questions I have regarding evolution.

It certainly changes the definition of what is "man" - and would explain how we could have genetic ancestors who could be tool using - cave graffitiing hominids and still accept that Adam was the first Man: the first creature in to which God placed one of his spirit children.

If the spirits of beasts are somehow different than the spirits of man - ie, they are not spirit children of our Heavenly Father or they didn't have agency in the pre-existance- that could go a log ways toward answering many of the questions I have regarding evolution.

It certainly changes the definition of what is "man" - and would explain how we could have genetic ancestors who could be tool using - cave graffitiing hominids and still accept that Adam was the first Man: the first creature in to which God placed one of his spirit children.

I didn't quite follow that!

I didn't quite follow that!

I did, and if that works for you....go for it!

I didn't follow that either. I guess I am just not as smart as you guys are.

If he wants to try and come up with a bridge that helps him with the cognitive dissonance that we sometimes have to handle as Mormons who believe in God the Creator and also recognize the so-far overwhelming scientific evidence in favor of evolution -- then fine, because I don't think that the GAs plan to wade back into the quagmire anytime soon. Right now they just kind of leave it that Adam and Eve were special which works for me. I've wrestled with it from time to time and have finally just decided okay they are both right and somehow Adam and Eve are special and it will all work out in the end somehow. My current personal favorite is that the fruit had a virus in it.

If he wants to try and come up with a bridge that helps him with the cognitive dissonance that we sometimes have to handle as Mormons who believe in God the Creator and also recognize the so-far overwhelming scientific evidence in favor of evolution -- then fine, because I don't think that the GAs plan to wade back into the quagmire anytime soon. Right now they just kind of leave it that Adam and Eve were special which works for me. I've wrestled with it from time to time and have finally just decided okay they are both right and somehow Adam and Eve are special and it will all work out in the end somehow. My current personal favorite is that the fruit had a virus in it.

Still not following. I don't see such overwhelming scientific evidence for Evolution that you appear to see.