Jls'S 89Th Birthday Today

cursor

I just had a great half hour phone conversation with my step mother (while my father was taking his afternoon nap). I then chatted with my dad for nearly an hour. He was sharp, funny, witty, and full of creative & positive advice. What more could one ask from a parent and lifelong friend?

[ edit: thought I'd best clarify ... JLS = John L. Sorenson ]

Edited by cursor

I have doubts that my parents will reach their 89th due to health issues (they are 83 this year) but will be grateful for every minute longer that I have them...just wish I was more effective at sharing that gratitude with them, hard for me to do long distance. If they do live that long, I will be so grateful if they still have a positive attitude about life and everything (it is hard for them to keep cheerful these days, I am hoping things will improve). I cannot think of a greater blessing than to still be loving life and enjoying the people around you at that age.

I have doubts that my parents will reach their 89th due to health issues (they are 83 this year) but will be grateful for every minute longer that I have them...just wish I was more effective at sharing that gratitude with them, hard for me to do long distance. If they do live that long, I will be so grateful if they still have a positive attitude about life and everything (it is hard for them to keep cheerful these days, I am hoping things will improve). I cannot think of a greater blessing than to still be loving life and enjoying the people around you at that age.

Cal..

My mom died unexpectedly when she was 80, and my dad was 85 at the time. His health permitted him to continue to live alone in their home. I was here in Oregon, my sis back east, and he was in So Cal, but his home teacher and some of the RS sisters helped him with loving care (he was legally blind and had to give up playing the organ, TV, etc). My sis and I would call him a couple times a week each, and some of the grandchildren would call also. Besides him, I was the only active LDS and whenever I'd talk to him I'd tell him about "enduring to the end." I feared he would try and end his life. When he was 89, he had a massive stroke and passed away. I was actually thankful because all of his sadness, pain, and loneliness for my mom came to an end... and I knew he surely was finally joyous... and he had endured...

GG

Cal..

My mom died unexpectedly when she was 80, and my dad was 85 at the time. His health permitted him to continue to live alone in their home. I was here in Oregon, my sis back east, and he was in So Cal, but his home teacher and some of the RS sisters helped him with loving care (he was legally blind and had to give up playing the organ, TV, etc). My sis and I would call him a couple times a week each, and some of the grandchildren would call also. Besides him, I was the only active LDS and whenever I'd talk to him I'd tell him about "enduring to the end." I feared he would try and end his life. When he was 89, he had a massive stroke and passed away. I was actually thankful because all of his sadness, pain, and loneliness for my mom came to an end... and I knew he surely was finally joyous... and he had endured...

GG

In some ways I will be able to rejoice for my mom when that time comes....because she has had such a hard life healthwise even from a child (her appendix burst when she was seven, almost killed her and things just went downhill from there; doctors told her not to have kids but she wanted them bad enough she had five...and has been paying for that choice since our births) and it will be so wonderful for her to be able to have a body free from pain and just being able to move easily, without having to make a choice of 'what am I going to have to sacrifice and what am I going to be able to accomplish'. But I will also be sad because I expect there will be quite a few things I know she wanted to accomplish in respect to her relationships with others in the family that she won't be able to because they with their agency have chosen another way of approaching life. I just hope that the sense of failure that she feels at times because of this will not be with her then.

I cannot imagine my dad being able to last long without my mom, he thinks of himself as independent but the reality is he needs someone there and no one has ever been able to fill that role besides Mom. Mom, OTOH, would come live with us and probably do quite well....kind of like a vacation for her.