Seriously No Politics ×

Literature And Art Blog

• 1 month later...

http://n-townadventures.blogspot.com/

I've launched a new blog for insights from art and literature, if anyone is interested.

Among other things, the first post discusses Kipling's atonement symbolism.

"The Garden called Gethsemane

In Picardy it was..."

Have you added the ending; The Three Gardens, by Elder Bruce R McConkie , learn more about the Church, the Doctrine and the life of the Church, in to relation of the individual with the Church and how it ties to Christ.

Have you added the ending; The Three Gardens, by Elder Bruce R McConkie , learn more about the Church, the Doctrine and the life of the Church, in to relation of the individual with the Church and how it ties to Christ.

I haven't, as this blog is for discussing literature and art, but the Three Gardens is superb. Thanks for reminding me of it.

I haven't, as this blog is for discussing literature and art, but the Three Gardens is superb. Thanks for reminding me of it.

I understand, jus trying to plug it. It is my hope that it will one day being the highest form of literature...scripture. Not to mention the "art" that comes to mind inspired by the image of Gethsemane.

Out of habit, I signed my comment to your post on The Gardener, 3DOP. I am totally in need of the edit function. My post was as my kids might say, a little "random". Anyway, I hope you continue with your own thoughts, even the random ones.

I think I like Tolstoy as a writer more than you. You probably like Tolstoy as a man more than me.

Rory

Out of habit, I signed my comment to your post on The Gardener, 3DOP. I am totally in need of the edit function. My post was as my kids might say, a little "random". Anyway, I hope you continue with your own thoughts, even the random ones.

I think I like Tolstoy as a writer more than you. You probably like Tolstoy as a man more than me.

Rory

I'm not actually seeing any comments, wonder what went wrong.

As for Tolstoy, you might be surprised, but I actually like him as a writer far more than I do as a man. His daughter made an insightful observation that has remained with me ever since I had read it. "There was no running water at Yasnaya Polyana, but it wasn't Tolstoy who went to the well." That captures his essence remarkably well, in my opinion. The biggest reason that I am not keen on his writings is the very self-righteous air he imposes upon them, too heavy-handed for my liking. For the sake of fairness, War and Peace does contain indisputably brilliant moments, such as the scene wih the old oak tree. That being said, I thoroughly enjoy his stories about Sevastopol and the Caucasus. Hadji Murat and the Prisoner of the Caucasus are particularly good, and the Cossacks isn't half-bad.

I would like to let everybody know that the church is looking for artistic contributions -- photos, videos, music.

Go to Create.lds.org I am thinking about something easy, like photos of family activities, scouting events, family history, etc.

Edited by cdowis

I understand, jus trying to plug it. It is my hope that it will one day being the highest form of literature...scripture. Not to mention the "art" that comes to mind inspired by the image of Gethsemane.

For the record, I enjoy your art. You are a poet of no mean talent.