Seriously No Politics ×

Church To Purchase Utah State University

urroner

I was shocked to read this in the Cache Valley Daily and it amazes me that nobody here has mentioned it. The Church has started the ball rolling to purchase the USU and rename it BYU-Logan.

http://www.cachevall...19bb30f31a.html

Perhaps the biggest announcement the week of the 183rd annual General Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came late on Easter Sunday. The LDS Church announced plans to purchase Utah State University, renaming the 125 year old school BYU-Logan.

All I have to say is it's about time.

A school spokesperson is quoted to have said "They joke around and call us their little brother. Now they can call us their twin brother,"

Nawwwww, Never happen. The USU was never been little brother to BYU, it's always been the little sister.

I was shocked to read this in the Cache Valley Daily and it amazes me that nobody here has mentioned it. The Church has started the ball rolling to purchase the USU and rename it BYU-Logan.

http://www.cachevall...19bb30f31a.html

All I have to say is it's about time.

A school spokesperson is quoted to have said "They joke around and call us their little brother. Now they can call us their twin brother,"

Nawwwww, Never happen. The USU was never been little brother to BYU, it's always been the little sister.

I think the daily up there is the Logan Herald-Journal.

Little known factoid: The first Brigham Young College (later Brigham Young HS) was founded in Logan in 1877, and operated until 1926. "BY High" was only a couple of years younger than its downstate cousin, Brigham Young Academy, though the latter was housed in a much cooler building. Logan High was moved to the site sometime after 1926, and the old athletics campus was where Logan HS played ball until relatively recently.

Though yBu is a couple of years older, BYC was a college upon founding, as well as a high school . . . Brigham Young Academy wasn't anything approaching a college, if memory serves, for quite a while.

USU was founded in 1888, 13 years after the Pwovo Academy, and 11 years after BY College, under legislation shepherded through Congress by one A. Lincoln, Esq., as a Land Grant Agricultural College . . . like Wazzu, Ohio State, Auburn, and such institutions. USU's first business grads graduated in 1894 . . . giving USU the oldest business college, continuously operating, West of the Mississippi. Our first Rhodes Scholar was named in 1936.

Little known factoid: The first Brigham Young College (later Brigham Young HS) was founded in Logan in 1877, and operated until 1926. "BY High" was only a couple of years younger than its downstate cousin, Brigham Young Academy, though the latter was housed in a much cooler building. Logan High was moved to the site sometime after 1926, and the old athletics campus was where Logan HS played ball until relatively recently.

Though yBu is a couple of years older, BYC was a college upon founding, as well as a high school . . . Brigham Young Academy wasn't anything approaching a college, if memory serves, for quite a while.

USU was founded in 1888, 13 years after the Pwovo Academy, and 11 years after BY College, under legislation shepherded through Congress by one A. Lincoln, Esq., as a Land Grant Agricultural College . . . like Wazzu, Ohio State, Auburn, and such institutions. USU's first business grads graduated in 1894 . . . giving USU the oldest business college, continuously operating, West of the Mississippi. Our first Rhodes Scholar was named in 1936.

Ahhh, dwelling upon USU glory days. Little sisters can be sooooo darn cute. :air_kiss:

If true,truly annoying...we need a presence on the East Coast not another college in the former State of Deseret...the East Coast needs a marriage mill more than Utah and Idaho

The church needs to leave USU and UofU alone. They can even buy Eastern Arizona College instead as well. Or they can purchase some obscure backwoods college or university somewhere in hell...sorry, I mean the South.

I think that Hades would be preferable to Michigan.

Yesterday the Freedom From Religion Association filed suit in Federal Court for an injunction against the sale.

Tom Reynolds, director, declared, "This would violate the rights of all Utahns to attend a religion-free institution. This is unacceptable." Phone calls to representatives for BYU were not returned as of this morning.

Yesterday the Freedom From Religion Association filed suit in Federal Court for an injunction against the sale.

Tom Reynolds, director, declared, "This would violate the rights of all Utahns to attend a religion-free institution. This is unacceptable." Phone calls to representatives for BYU were not returned as of this morning.

I guess he has a point?

Archived