Seriously No Politics ×

Associating With "Them".

In spite of the fact that I am one of them, members of the church have illogically been completely supportive and loving to me. I know not if they are simply being this way to help me grow into the shoes of one who is truly loving and kind and accepting, or if they are so deluded as to think I really am that way.

So, there are certain types of people who I absolutely make me ill, and while I will smile and say good things to them, in no way do I actually want to associate with "them". Deep in my soul, I think that the very air they breathe is an affront to creation. Then, Yesterday, I was somehow manipulated, though I know not how, into actually driving two of them to church! How can this be? Heavenly Father, you ask too much of me! However, I obeyed because in no way do I wish to find out what the belly of a whale looks like, Yallah !!!!

What is it with these Mormons? Do they think the Bible and the BOM is to be obeyed in ever jot and tittle? It is too much for me, I will never measure up. I now am beginning to understand the need to leave the church.

The more we think we don't measure up, the more we need to stay! No one measures up, no one is as perfect as we think they seem. I have also resented doing a task, or not wanted to talk to someone but I have done it because I was asked, by the Lord and he expects me to do it. And I know He will forgive those thoughts because He knows I am not perfect. But i am trying to be the best i can, regardless of others And that's all that matters. Do not judge yourself against others but against the best you can be.

Thanks for posting this Ellen. I was thinking the other day about service and the LDS church, I keep having days where I question if I'm in the right faith, constantly. And one thing I thought of is my service in the church and how it led me to people and helping people I never would have done on my own. It was a conduit to these people. Through working in the RS Presidency or through Visiting Teaching. People I'd never dreamed of helping, I was helping and still am. This sounds like it's happened with you also. Don't ever feel you're not good enough. You are so new in this walk and look how quickly you've progressed. I've learned alot from you!

This makes me think of a story I read once, though I'm sorry it's kinda sketchy, it involves how some women feel not good enough or on top of it enough. And one woman decided that she wasn't going to clean her house for her VT'ers anymore. She felt that it was giving them the wrong impression of herself. I guess she thought it had to be squeaky clean before. Anyway, she decided to not clean like that. And the outcome was that her VT'ers felt so glad that she was human and not perfect. This isn't exactly like your case but if others see that you have these feelings it might just open up a well spring of a friendship you never knew you had. If we're honest with one another even if it's not pretty, others will open up for us, and it deepens our relationships.

Good luck in your journey, I always love to read your posts when talking about it!

I've done a lot of stuff that I have not, at the outset, "wanted" to do, but in the "doing," I've discovered the "wanting" ... or at least, the "doing" hasn't been as onerous as I thought it would be, despite the lack of the "wanting." (If that makes any sense! ;):D) Putting off the natural man or woman is a process, not an event. Yes, baptism does result in a change, but it's only the gateway. Nephi asked us if, once we "enter in by the way," (baptism) "all is done." Clearly, it is not. We must press forward (pressing implies opposition) with a perfect brightness of hope (in something which, while it has not yet been completely realized we have faith it will be) and a love of God and of all men (again, that's a process, and not an event).

The Church of Jesus Christ is a hospital for the spiritually sick, and all of us, wherever we are on mortality's journey (even though some of us are "closer" to the destination than others) are spiritually sick: we're separated from God by the conditions of mortality. And as Alma said, if we have experienced a mighty change of heart, and have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, can we feel so now? Again, singing that song of redeeming love is a process, not an event.

I wish you well. :)

In spite of the fact that I am one of them, members of the church have illogically been completely supportive and loving to me. I know not if they are simply being this way to help me grow into the shoes of one who is truly loving and kind and accepting, or if they are so deluded as to think I really am that way. ...

We're all "that way" at sometimes, and not "that way" at other times. That's what the Atonement of Jesus Christ is for. Fortunately, who you see when you look in the mirror is not the same person that others see when they look at you, and the same is true of everyone else. :)

In spite of the fact that I am one of them, members of the church have illogically been completely supportive and loving to me. I know not if they are simply being this way to help me grow into the shoes of one who is truly loving and kind and accepting, or if they are so deluded as to think I really am that way.

So, there are certain types of people who I absolutely make me ill, and while I will smile and say good things to them, in no way do I actually want to associate with "them". Deep in my soul, I think that the very air they breathe is an affront to creation. Then, Yesterday, I was somehow manipulated, though I know not how, into actually driving two of them to church! How can this be? Heavenly Father, you ask too much of me! However, I obeyed because in no way do I wish to find out what the belly of a whale looks like, Yallah !!!!

What is it with these Mormons? Do they think the Bible and the BOM is to be obeyed in ever jot and tittle? It is too much for me, I will never measure up. I now am beginning to understand the need to leave the church.

Dear Ellen, After reading this post of yours a second time, I've come to the conclusion it's your own unique version of an April Fools joke -- at least I hope it is. Otherwise, if it's not a joke, I can't figure out for the life of me what it is you're actually trying to say... All the best, Ted

Edited by teddyaware

BoM...I give unto men weaknesses that they might be humble...then I will make weak things strong. None of us measure up without Christ. Leaving the Church will not make you feel better about yourself. The best thing is to see yourself as God sees you...his child, and so worthy to be loved.

Dear Ellen, After reading this post of yours a second time, I've come to the conclusion it's your own unique version of an April Fools joke -- at least I hope it is. Otherwise, if it's not a joke, I can't figure out for the life of me what it is you're actually trying to say... All the best, Ted

"Them" can be any sort of person you are not comfortable with. They can be a Muslim, a Black person, a Hispanic, an Asian, or even a homeless person. I find that when I associate with people that make me uncomfortable, I learn unexpected things.

"Them" can be any sort of person you are not comfortable with. They can be a Muslim, a Black person, a Hispanic, an Asian, or even a homeless person. I find that when I associate with people that make me uncomfortable, I learn unexpected things.

I'm still confused, Ellen. Perhaps a little more specificity is in order? By the way, you have me laughing as I write. If this is an April Fools joke, you have an interesting, cheeky and playful sense of humor...

Edited by teddyaware

I'm still confused, Ellen. Perhaps a little more specificity is in order? By the way, you have me laughing as I write. If this is an April Fools joke, you have an interesting, cheeky and playful sense of humor...

Are you "aware", Teddy, that you may be overthinking our dear Sister's OP? I'm pretty dense sometimes, and I "got it" right away.

Are you "aware", Teddy, that you may be overthinking our dear Sister's OP? I'm pretty dense sometimes, and I "got it" right away.

I'm limited to twelve posts a day and I'm using my last post to say that you and Teddy seem to be both up in the night! Unless I'm wrong in thinking you think it's an April Fools joke too. And btw, I checked on Prevegan, you might want to check the reviews before trying it. I'm only able to communicate by editing since I'm all out of my 12 posts for the day. Edited by Tacenda

Yes, I "got it" almost right away as well, but you never know when you're going to be stepping on someone's toes around here! Some folks, whom I previously thought for sure had to be yanking my chain, turned out to be dead serious and the mods gave me the "ax" for insensititivity. So I tread carefully, just in case. By the way, I've actually known members who've had the same sort of "us and them" attitude toward some of their fellow ward members, so it seemed there was a remote possibility for plausibility. And remember, in this form of communication you cannot observe facial expressions and body language, so someone could be on the verge of doing themselves in when one could swear they were joking. Of course, April 1st was the tip off.

I'm limited to twelve posts a day and I'm using my last post to say that you and Teddy seem to be both up in the night! Unless I'm wrong in thinking you think it's an April Fools joke too. And btw, I checked on Prevegan, you might want to check the reviews before trying it. I'm only able to communicate by editing since I'm all out of my 12 posts for the day.

Dear Tacenda, thankyou for using your limited posting-power to respond to me!

I live in Washington state, where it is not yet midnight. I'm an old geezer with no kids to have to get off to school in the morning (just myself), so I can afford to burn the midnight oil.

Until the wife comes in and gives me the gimlet eye for staying up and would you believe it, asking me if I am done chatting with my girlfriend?!? This is just after I had sent the sisters in her visiting teaching district a reminder for her, that it's time to start reporting for March. So I must have 11 girlfriends. Better not tell their husbands.

Yes, I "got it" almost right away as well, but you never know when you're going to be stepping on someone's toes around here! Some folks, whom I previously thought for sure had to be yanking my chain, turned out to be dead serious and the mods gave me the "ax" for insensititivity. So I tread carefully, just in case. By the way, I've actually known members who've had the same sort of "us and them" attitude toward some of their fellow ward members, so it seemed there was a remote possibility for plausibility. And remember, in this form of communication you cannot observe facial expressions and body language, so someone could be on the verge of doing themselves in when one could swear they were joking. Of course, April 1st was the tip off.

Well, yes. But I think she was serious about going outside one's comfort zone.