Seriously No Politics ×

Anyone Else Having A Problem With This?

So I am new to the forums and have not even set up my profile yet. I thought before doing so, I might start a new topic. Not sure if anyone has already started this yet.

My kids love to visit their cousins down the road and play video games. They also enjoy playing the games with thier older brother also. My wife and I (mostly myself) has tried to limit their access to the video games each day and the type that they play. Their older brother and cousins on the other hand are your typical kids and teenager whom spend as much time as possible playing the games. They also play the games that I would not even play. I am quite certain they would not fall into a category supported by the word of wisdom either. So I have struggled trying to support my feelings about the destructiveness of most of these online and multiplayer style games. My wife and I do not always see eye to eye on them. I know with in my heart the truthfulness behind my feelings and how they are not good in any time limit. Simple games, are not a problem, yet teen and adulted rated are an issue with me. Any support out there?

Thanks

Yes, as with anything too much can be addicting. I suppose it is not the time spent, but the contents of those games. I am not a fan of the blood and guts and profanity much of the violant games portray. Yet they seem to be a huge attraction to mostly males that are gamers. So when I am working my 7 and 11 year olds, it is a struggle to teach them what is appropraite and what is not. Since when they go to their cousins house they see the playing those style games. I suppose what gets me upset more is the fact that my kids are subject to it, and my sister in law is primary pres. in our ward. I would think a little example would be a priority.

The most important thing to teach our children is not that this or that is right or wrong, but how to figure that out for ourselves, how to choose friends and associates who will help us live close to Heavenly Father, and how to decide for ourselves even when people we otherwise like choose differently -----and, most importantly, how to love and trust Him. I don't think you can fairly judge your sister --- not all video games are a problem for those who play them.