Seriously No Politics ×

Long Sleeve White Shirts At The Temple-Or Short?

Here's something pertaining to women:

"Some brides have brought inappropriate wedding dresses to the temple for the marriage ceremony. Brides and their parents or guardians should understand the requirements clearly before they make or purchase the wedding dress. They should also be aware that lovely and tasteful wedding dresses are available at the temple for use during the endowment and marriage ceremonies.

All dresses worn in the temple should be white, have long sleeves, be modest in design and fabric, and be free of elaborate ornamentation. Sheer fabric should be lined. Woman’s pants are not permitted in the temple. The dress should not have a train unless it is removable so that it will not be encumbering during the temple ceremonies, though it could be worn for photographs following the marriage or at a later reception."

—Bulletin, 1992-1, p. 2

I'm sure the same standard would apply to men. It was necessary to wear long sleeves until 1975 because up until then people were required to wear the old one-piece long sleeved garments when doing temple work.

Something that just ocurred to me but if you are a man, such as myself, can you wear a white shirt with short sleeves in the Temple? anybody know?

You do mean in the Temple itself and not "to" the Temple, IOW for the ordinances.....

"Some brides have brought inappropriate wedding dresses to the temple for the marriage ceremony. Brides and their parents or guardians should understand the requirements clearly before they make or purchase the wedding dress. They should also be aware that lovely and tasteful wedding dresses are available at the temple for use during the endowment and marriage ceremonies.

All dresses worn in the temple should be white, have long sleeves, be modest in design and fabric, and be free of elaborate ornamentation. Sheer fabric should be lined. Woman’s pants are not permitted in the temple. The dress should not have a train unless it is removable so that it will not be encumbering during the temple ceremonies, though it could be worn for photographs following the marriage or at a later reception."

—Bulletin, 1992-1, p. 2

I'm sure the same standard would apply to men. It was necessary to wear long sleeves until 1975 because up until then people were required to wear the old one-piece long sleeved garments when doing temple work.

if you think I am wearing a wedding dress in the Temple or out you have another thing coming

About 20 minutes later I look down and realize that the jumpsuits that you wear in the baptistery have short sleeves...

That is funny.

Sometimes implementation of policy gets a bit twisted.

On a hot summer day, I had gone with the youth to do baptisms. I was going to be a witness – not actually doing the baptisms – so I kept on my short sleeve white shirt and put on my white pants and tie. When I came out of the dressing room they asked me if I had a long sleeve white shirt. I replied that I didn't. I was told that I was not allowed to wear a short sleeve white shirt and if I didn't have one to change into they have to have me wear one of the jumpsuits. That was fine. I felt kind of silly that I hadn't thought about wearing a long sleeve white shirt to go to the temple. So i changed into one of the jumpsuits. About 20 minutes later I look down and realize that the jumpsuits that you wear in the baptistery have short sleeves...

yes, yes, yes! why is that yet short sleeve white shirts are banned?! hhmmmmm!

Edited by Duncan

—Bulletin, 1992-1, p. 2

Just to be clear, brides can appropriately have short sleeved wedding dresses, they will just have to wear a special 'd i c k y' underneath (which they usually have in the temple bridal room) to make it long sleeved while they are in the temple. This also makes sure that the collar bones are covered as well, something that isn't needed for modesty but is necessary when in the temple.

Edited by bluebell

why? any reason that you know of?

I dunno.....probably for the same reason women have to wear white tights that are at least knee-long. It's apart of the expected attire for certain ordinances.

With luv,

BD

About 20 minutes later I look down and realize that the jumpsuits that you wear in the baptistery have short sleeves...

It is not a shirt, but a jumpsuit. For practical reasons, a jumpsuit with long sleeves would be very difficult to put on and take off, especially if it is wet.

It is not a shirt, but a jumpsuit. For practical reasons, a jumpsuit with long sleeves would be very difficult to put on and take off, especially if it is wet.

if we open the door of practicality then, a short sleeve white shirt is more practical to me then wearing a long sleeve white shirt that covers nothing symbolic, except my rippling arm muscles i'm just saying :sorry:

Something that just ocurred to me but if you are a man, such as myself, can you wear a white shirt with short sleeves in the Temple? anybody know?

Did you wake up this morning and think "What question could I ask on an LDS discussion board that I know people will try and answer logically, but it will be impossible for them to try and do so without sounding silly...?"

Having acknowledged that, I will venture to say the most logical answer is that if short sleeves are okay for men, then there is no logical reason that short pants wouldn't also be okay. Is the hairy arm any less offensive than the hairy leg?

newsletter_img_1851.jpg

Edited by cinepro

Did you wake up this morning and think "What question could I ask on an LDS discussion board that I know people will try and answer logically, but it will be impossible for them to try and do so without sounding silly...?"

Having acknowledged that, I will venture to say the most logical answer is that if short sleeves are okay for men, then there is no logical reason that short pants wouldn't also be okay. Is the hairy arm any less offensive than the hairy leg?

newsletter_img_1851.jpg

ha......ha......ha.....but no I didn't! I am attending the Temple this weekend and was wondering why I can't wear my short sleeve white shirt, and uh, thought I would throw it up the flag pole and see who would salute it

ha......ha......ha.....but no I didn't! I am attending the Temple this weekend and was wondering why I can't wear my short sleeve white shirt, and uh, thought I would throw it up the flag pole and see who would salute it

Just as long as it's only your shirt that goes up the flagpole...

On a hot summer day, I had gone with the youth to do baptisms. I was going to be a witness – not actually doing the baptisms – so I kept on my short sleeve white shirt and put on my white pants and tie. When I came out of the dressing room they asked me if I had a long sleeve white shirt. I replied that I didn't. I was told that I was not allowed to wear a short sleeve white shirt and if I didn't have one to change into they have to have me wear one of the jumpsuits. That was fine. I felt kind of silly that I hadn't thought about wearing a long sleeve white shirt to go to the temple. So i changed into one of the jumpsuits. About 20 minutes later I look down and realize that the jumpsuits that you wear in the baptistery have short sleeves...

I always preferred renting these short sleeved jump suits because it saved on packing and laundry.

Imagine going into someone's office for an upper level business conference.

Do you expect the guy behind the big desk to be wearing a white shirt with short sleeves and a clip-on tie?

Maybe a tennis outfit, yes, maybe a Hawaiian shirt- but if it's a white shirt and tie, and this is serious stuff, it's gonna be long sleeves.

White shirts and a tie and short sleeves are for missionaries who look totally formal riding a bike, but totally casual if you take the same outfit into a serious environment.

Reminds me of the phrase "wet behind the ears" for some reason...... 8P

Edited by mfbukowski