Seriously No Politics ×

New Pope

Damien the Leper

http://ncronline.org...ould-be-pope-13

‎"Bergoglio is seen an unwaveringly orthodox on matters of sexual morality, staunchly opposing abortion, same-sex marriage, and contraception. In 2010 he asserted that gay adoption is a form of discrimination against children, earning a public rebuke from Argentina's President, Cristina Fernández de Kirchner."

The case for Bergoglio in 2013 rests on four points.

First and most basically, he had strong support last time around, and some cardinals may think that they're getting another bite at the apple now.

Second, Bergoglio is a candidates who brings together the first world and the developing world in his own person. He's a Latin American with Italian roots, who studied in Germany. As a Jesuit he's a member of a truly international religious community, and his ties to Comunione e Liberazione make him part of another global network.

Third, Bergoglio still has appeal across the usual divides in the church, drawing respect from both conservatives and moderates for his keen pastoral sense, his intelligence, and his personal modesty. He's also seen as a genuinely spiritual soul, and a man of deep prayer.

"Only someone who has encountered mercy, who has been caressed by the tenderness of mercy, is happy and comfortable with the Lord," Bergoglio said in 2001. "I beg the theologians who are present not to turn me in to the Sant'Uffizio or the Inquisition; however, forcing things a bit, I dare to say that the privileged locus of the encounter is the caress of the mercy of Jesus Christ on my sin."

Fourth, he's also seen as a successful evangelist.

"We have to avoid the spiritual sickness of a self-referential church," Bergoglio said recently. "It's true that when you get out into the street, as happens to every man and woman, there can be accidents. However, if the church remains closed in on itself, self-referential, it gets old. Between a church that suffers accidents in the street, and a church that's sick because it's self-referential, I have no doubts about preferring the former."

I definitely approve the choice

Pope Francis will be in Brazil this summer for the World Youth Day and World Cup and Olympics will be in Brazil. With the most populated Catholic country being Brazil, where is the smart money??? 8) I have an opinion where a lot of divine blessings may be !

I have only one thing to add to this conversation (and take it for what it's worth, since I'm not even Catholic ... but then, as I'm sure our Catholic friends would say, "Nobody's perfect!" ;)):

Holy Smoke!!! ;):D:rofl:

(I had to do it! ;))

OK, he's a very nice person, but let's get back to the real issue.

This should energize the RCC in Latin America, so how do you think it will affect future growth of the LDS church in this area.

I don't see why Catholics in southern latitudes who are inclined to become LDS would be discouraged from believing in an apostasy and restoration because of the appointment of a pope from South America. What that has to do with the claims of either church, I could not guess. Perhaps the only persons who would be affected because of where a pope was born would be those who are neither serious Mormons nor serious Catholics?

3DOP

If this will get the 3 times/per year RCC attenders to show up once a month,that will be a great improvement. Many converts have a hard time with regular attendance at the LDS wards because it was not a big requirement. From my experience,a regularly attending RC made the most firm LDS member .

This should energize the RCC in Latin America

There was discussion by the talking heads and such that he may be more prone to give more power to the local congregations and bishops to address the needs of their people through bishops' conferences and such. I have no idea what this means, but it seems like it may be an expansion of middle level management as opposed to becoming more top heavy with the decision resting in the hands of fewer.

The commentator said it would be very easy for a strong personality to deal with the corruption in a very short time, ignore the politics and do a clean sweep. My understanding is that there is a huge incentive in doing so because of the problems of the Vatican Bank. If he can handle the politics and don't let them get bogged down, then the main point of his work would be to reaching out to encourage those who have left to come back.

If this will get the 3 times/per year RCC attenders to show up once a month,that will be a great improvement. Many converts have a hard time with regular attendance at the LDS wards because it was not a big requirement. From my experience,a regularly attending RC made the most firm LDS member .

What you have are cafeteria style Catholics who are now cafeteria style Mormons.

On the flip side, a lot of the LDS converts to Catholicism want to be as involved in parish life as they were in their wards. :)

The most important religious position has been chosen. Pope Francis I, Jorge Mario Bergoglio, is the new guy on the job. Go Argentina!!

Cool, I could not do it...they said they understand. What does this mean to Catholics...I know I like how they view Pope's; men who speak for God but not infallible. Disappointing how the media began to pounce concerning his views.

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/first-president-offers-warmest-wishes-pope-francis

On behalf of the leadership and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, we extend our warmest wishes to His Holiness Pope Francis and pray he will feel the peace of the Lord as he serves as pontiff of the Catholic Church.

We have been honored and pleased as our two faiths have worked together on issues of faith, morality and service to the poor and needy. We value the relationships that have been formed in these joint efforts and are grateful for the good that has been accomplished.

We look forward to pursuing together, as the Apostle Paul wrote, all things that are true, honest, just, pure, lovely and of good report (see Philippians 4:8).

OK, he's a very nice person, but let's get back to the real issue.

This should energize the RCC in Latin America, so how do you think it will affect future growth of the LDS church in this area.

Based on my experience as a missionary there, I could see an Argentine pope (especially one who was known for being in touch with the poor and who is a San Lorenzo futbol fan) being the reason that some Argentine Catholics decide to recommit to the faith of their upbringing. That would also mean that they would be less likely to open doors/hearts to the message of the missionaries. But, I think it would be a short-term phenomenon.

Regarding all of South/Central America... I think it could give a boost to activity within the RCC simply because I think it means something to be able to listen to the Pope speak to you in your own language.

Regarding all of South/Central America... I think it could give a boost to activity within the RCC simply because I think it means something to be able to listen to the Pope speak to you in your own language.

FYI, Pope Benedict XVI was fluent in 7 languages that included Spanish and JPII was fluent in 10 languages which included Spanish, but I agree that since he's from Latin America there will be a boost in activity among the Hispanic community.

FYI, Pope Benedict XVI was fluent in 7 languages that included Spanish and JPII was fluent in 10 languages which included Spanish, but I agree that since he's from Latin America there will be a boost in activity among the Hispanic community.

Oops, my ignorance is showing.

I'm impressed that they are fluent in so many languages. I would have figured that they had Latin & maybe Italian under their belts (in addition to their native tongue) but not 7-10 languages.

I am really excited and so is my wife who served her mission in Argentina. She even thought he sounded like he was from Argentina before we knew he was from there. I really think this will be a very good thing. I wish him and the Catholic church the very best.

On another note, has any one heard the Catholic commercials that play on certain radio stations? I really like them and think it is a really good thing they are reaching out and giving great moral messages. I think our world can benefit from a lot more of this. I think our country is in a state of serious moral decay. So it is nice to see people trying to make a difference.

Archived