Seriously No Politics ×

Old 'For The Strength Of Youth' Pamphlets

Gohan

Not quite sure if this is the right sub-forum, but I thought I'd toss it in here.

I'm trying to find PDF scans or a copy of the old 'For the Strength of Youth' pamphlets for a project I'm working on. The newer ones are no problem, but I can't find a full copy anywhere of the one from the 1960s.

Does anyone have any idea where I could find a copy? Or have a copy they'd be willing to scan and e-mail to me?

Not quite sure if this is the right sub-forum, but I thought I'd toss it in here.

I'm trying to find PDF scans or a copy of the old 'For the Strength of Youth' pamphlets for a project I'm working on. The newer ones are no problem, but I can't find a full copy anywhere of the one from the 1960s.

Does anyone have any idea where I could find a copy? Or have a copy they'd be willing to scan and e-mail to me?

you could try the Church Archives, depending on how big it is you may have to pay a couple of bucks and wait a week or two but they would send you a copy

http://churchhistorylibrary.lds.org/primo_library/libweb/action/search.do?dscnt=1&dstmp=1363026190515&vid=CHL_PUBLIC&fromLogin=true

just go to "ask a librarian" at the bottom

Edited by Duncan

I thought "For the Strength of Youth" first came out in the early 90s. Maybe it was just a major revision at that time, but I had never seen or heard of it before then, and I had older siblings that were in the youth programs from the early 80s.

But I would love to see the standards from the 60's. "Be hip, but not too groovy."

Edited by cinepro

Funny, I saw one in my parents dresser this last weekend....Only problem is that I had flown in for a couple of days, and asking my Mom to "scan it to a PDF document" would be like asking her to converse in Ukrainian.

Speaking of funny places you run into the booklet, I once found one in a teenagers purse...that we had just arrested for shoplifting. When I told her that conviction of a crime as serious as theft needed to be cleared up with her bishop, I was afraid she was going to pass out.

Success! Found one, the 1965 edition at least. We'll see if I can find any others.

I thought "For the Strength of Youth" first came out in the early 90s. Maybe it was just a major revision at that time, but I had never seen or heard of it before then, and I had older siblings that were in the youth programs from the early 80s.

But I would love to see the standards from the 60's. "Be hip, but not too groovy."

Here's the link for the one that I just found, since ya sounded interested: http://www.barncow.com/mormon/youth-1965.html

I was thinking this was a little scary the do's and don'ts but then again, it's not as bad as one I read in the earlier times. Something about how women should treat their husbands, don't remember if it's church related or not. But honestly it's got a good point on how some backless dresses aren't flattering on some people. And to be honest some people shouldn't wear sleeveless shirts either. When I first read it, I had an impression that it's all about the impression that counts, oh well.

Edited by Tacenda

It's more awesome than I ever could have imagined!

:rofl:

Two thoughts. One, this WAS written in 1965, when "curlers in public" was actually a middling controversy, and two, curlers in public really are kind of ugly. I'm glad hardly anyone wears curlers anymore.

Conversation I just had with my wife:

Me: Hey, look at this really old pamphlet. It's hilarious. I didn't know they went back this far.

Her: [Looks at it for a few seconds] Yeah, I have one.

Me: Wait, what?

Her: Yes. A few years ago when we were cleaning out my mom's garage I found one in her old Church stuff and kept it.

Me: Oh. :huh:

Edited by cinepro

Wow... <3 this...

No tennis shoes to dances boys and don't where tight pants (that sounds even funnier to a brit)

Be good dancers and noncontortionists (probably still a good suggestion for Uncles at weddings)

I've heard that the "M" word appeared specifically at some point and then has been recently taken out. I notice it's not even referred to in the 60s (too much of a taboo?). (sorry... subject just got a little less lighthearted)

My oldest daughter is in show choir. They go directly to show choir competitions from school and have to be all done up with their hair performance ready. She doesn't have time to curl it after school (lots of hair), so we wash and put her hair in curl formers the night before. So on performance days she gets up at 5:15 for seminary, then goest straight to show choir practice at 7 and then school all day, followed by a bus trip to the competition and then she has the competition. Her hair has to stay curled from 5:00 am until 11:00 pm on that day. We found the best way to do this is to leave her hair in the curl formers all day as opposed to using an entire can of hair spray on her head each time.

So my daughter wears curlers (brightly colored neon pink, orange, blue and green) in her hair in public for the better part of a day at least 5 times a year, if not more. LOL, guess I will have to tell her she isn't following the guidelines in For Strength of Youth...via 1965.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to use this thread for this but does anyone feel that it's not right for a Priesthood Leader to ask questions of a sexual nature with the youth? Especially a male leader with a female youth. I remember those interviews to be extremely uncomfortable when I was in mutual. In fact my sister became inactive over one such interview process. It made her freak out to be talking about sex alone with a man who was not her parent and much older than she. Should we as parents put our foot down on these interviews? I know that the odds are that it won't happen, but there is a chance of it happening, do we take it as seriously? We insure our homes with the thought of something happening, do we insure our children don't have it happen? I've heard from a second hand party that some of the questions weren't appropiate. In my opinion, these interviews regarding sexual things, need to stop being abusive.

... But I would love to see the standards from the 60's. "Be hip, but not too groovy."

:rofl:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u9ctk9xIOpI/UWJXTQFjDnI/AAAAAAAAI7w/BNnEOn87VMQ/s1600/bednar+perry+fist+bump.jpg

P.S.: Are these guys (a) hip; (b) groovy; (c ) both of the above; (d) none of the above.

Edited by Kenngo1969

May I suggest a different thread for this question?

Or, she could, I dunno ... stop reading sites which are antipathetic to the Church all together? ;)

• 3 months later...

Or, she could, I dunno ... stop reading sites which are antipathetic to the Church all together? ;)

That's a bit rude. The question of whether a man should be in a 1-to-1 setting asking teenage girls about their sexual activity is not solely the domain of antipathetic websites. As the father of a 10-y-o girl it's one I'm starting to consider given it's now just a few years away. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it either.

That's a bit rude. The question of whether a man should be in a 1-to-1 setting asking teenage girls about their sexual activity is not solely the domain of antipathetic websites. As the father of a 10-y-o girl it's one I'm starting to consider given it's now just a few years away. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it either.

Well, at least you had to think about it for three months or so before finally concluding that I was rude. ;) I've never been a parent, a teenage girl, nor a bishop, so I'm afraid I can't relate to the question from any angle. If you raised your hand to sustain your bishop the last time you were given that opportunity, you could always sustain him more actively by praying for him to have success in his dealings with your daughter.

All of the bishops I've known personally, and the few I've had the opportunity to work with closely, take their callings very seriously. I realize you're still a couple of years away from crossing that bridge, but you could always talk with your bishop about how he approaches the youth (especially young girls) generally, as well as having a corresponding chat or chats with your daughter.

P.S.: And I still think Tacenda, and anyone in a similar position, would be better off concentrating on the basics in order to build faith rather than, as Elder Holland so aptly put it last Conference, trying to "stuff a turkey through the beak." There will never be a shortage of criticism or questioning of the Church on sites that are antipathetic to it, and one will never build a testimony by trying to find answers to all of the questions posed thereon.

Edited by Kenngo1969

Well, at least you had to think about it for three months or so before finally concluding that I was rude. ;) I've never been a parent, a teenage girl, nor a bishop, so I'm afraid I can't relate to the question from any angle. If you raised your hand to sustain your bishop the last time you were given that opportunity, you could always sustain him more actively by praying for him to have success in his dealings with your daughter.

All of the bishops I've known personally, and the few I've had the opportunity to work with closely, take their callings very seriously. I realize you're still a couple of years away from crossing that bridge, but you could always talk with your bishop about how he approaches the youth (especially young girls) generally, as well as having a corresponding chat or chats with your daughter.

P.S.: And I still think Tacenda, and anyone in a similar position, would be better off concentrating on the basics in order to build faith rather than, as Elder Holland so aptly put it last Conference, trying to "stuff a turkey through the beak." There will never be a shortage of criticism or questioning of the Church on sites that are antipathetic to it, and one will never build a testimony by trying to find answers to all of the questions posed thereon.

Heeeyyyy ... why'd you bring me in on this? Anyway, I usually only show my misgivings about things in the church or it's history, on this board. You could say it's a great outlet, but I'll admit it's eating into the good things about the church that I forget about sometimes.

Thanks kenngo - I was catching up on old threads. I've no doubt that my Bishop is well-intentioned and I trust him. 

Regarding telling people to only concentrate on the basics. I don't agree. I'd encourage Tacenda to study the history of the church more, not less. Just from a wider and more rounded range of sources. Elder Christofferson said:

"Individuals must not form conclusions based on unexamined assertions or incomplete research, or be influenced by insincere seekers, the Apostle taught. Drawing from the words of the Church’s assistant Church historian, Rick Turley, Elder Christofferson said, “Don’t study Church history too little.”

http://www.lds.org/church/news/elder-christofferson-gives-compelling-counsel-to-study-the-life-of-joseph-smith?lang=eng