Seriously No Politics ×

Any Anime Fans?

TAO

Hey, I was just wondering how many of you on the forum watch any anime.

My favorite series is Toradora! It's really hard to describe what I like about it, so yeah, I'm not going to go into it.

I've also watched a lot of other series. Some of my favorites are Trigun, Rurouni Kenshin, Romeo x Juliet, and Mobile Suit Gundam Wing.

So do you want anime? If so, what's your favorite series?

Thanks!

-TAO

I don't watch much tv or movies at all and "pure" anime is a very small part of what I do watch, but I loved "Avatar: the Last Airbender."

This is one of my favorite TV shows ever. The sequel series, The Legend of Korra, is also great.

This is one of my favorite TV shows ever. The sequel series, The Legend of Korra, is also great.

Oh yes, I watched that too. If anything, I have to say it was better done than the original. Lots of suspense.

There's also an anime movie called Grave of the Fireflies that is one of the most tragic, heart-wrenching films I've ever seen, if not THE most. I'd recommend it to anyone, but have a tissue box handy.

But Korra should have gone for twice as long, the shortest of the series made for less character development and some crappy plot development and twists...especially the ending of how it was all resolved, she really hadn't developed herself spiritually at all. The reason she was 'restored' was not in line with the reasons given prior to that (I can remember exactly what it was, something along the line of she had gone so far down or suffered so much....but people suffer all the time and still don't spiritually develop).

And speaking of Korra, just came across this today:

But Korra should have gone for twice as long, the shortest of the series made for less character development and some crappy plot development and twists...especially the ending of how it was all resolved, she really hadn't developed herself spiritually at all. The reason she was 'restored' was not in line with the reasons given prior to that (I can remember exactly what it was, something along the line of she had gone so far down or suffered so much....but people suffer all the time and still don't spiritually develop).

And speaking of Korra, just came across this today:

[media=]

The Legend of Korra has only run for 12 episodes so far. They're going to make 40 more. :)

• 2 weeks later...
So do you want anime? If so, what's your favorite series?

We have most of the Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghibli stuff. My personal favorite is Princess Mononoke. I have young children who love Spirited Away, Totoro, Ponyo. I have older children who like Nausicaa, Whisperer of the Heart, Kiki's Delivery Service, Castle in the Sky. And of course our recent fav is Howl's Moving Castle. We watch a lot of other anime from time to time; some of it really good, some not so memorable. Tales from Earthsea was disappointingly horrible imho. The Secret World of Arrietty was beautiful but just okay as a movie. I also have some of the original anime from my youth; all of Speed Racer and the first year of Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato).

If anyone wants to get into Anime of this type, I have highlighted the selections I think would be good to start with though of course all I mentioned without caveat are good and may strike you differently. Totoro and Ponyo are for little children but surprisingly are fascinating to watch even at my age.

My 13 year old daughter draws in anime so to speak and is very good at it. They also enjoy Avatar: The Last Airbender, not the movie but the series. It's more American but I still think it counts as anime.

Edited by BCSpace
There's also an anime movie called Grave of the Fireflies that is one of the most tragic, heart-wrenching films I've ever seen, if not THE most. I'd recommend it to anyone, but have a tissue box handy.

I've been trying to screw my courage up to see that but have not yet been able to.

If you like tragic and heartwrenching, check out any of the Doctor Who episodes written by Stephen Moffat.