Ex-Flds Youth Homes Sought

Tacenda

http://www.thespectr...s-ex-FLDS-youth

This story was on the local news the other day, I'm considering doing this if I get my family on board. Do any of you think that's a bad idea? Sometimes my judgement is terrible. I just think that they would be good kids, or do others on here think they might have mental issues or go berserk? Especially if they have been taught that people on the outside are bad people. I know there's a risk, just as there is when someone foster's a child or adopts. But hosting seems like a different deal.

Mods: if you think this should be moved to "Social" topics, I understand.

Edited by Tacenda

I'm sure they are good kids, but they are more than likely going to have emotional and mental issues that will be difficult to deal with and will cause chaos as they are worked through.

I think it's a great program, but definitely don't go into it without realizing that it will most likely demand a lot of you and your family. It takes a special kind of person to help teens with this kind of baggage.

We took in a teen for a time (would have made it permanent if all involved had been willing, the kid certainly was). However, looking back, it would have been a very difficult time for our own teen. Being friends with him was not enough, the foster child was older and that caused some issues of territory and his example was all over the place which was very disturbing to our child, who was too kind to say anything about it at the time.

I don't know if we could have made it work or not, but I would never do it again without going into it with a counselor ahead of time with all my kids involved in the discussion.

We had a couple of opportunities to take teens in, temporary situations always worked for us but I don't know how much it helped the children as we could only provide temporary safe haven for them, eventually they had to deal with their issues without our being able to contribute anything because of no legal standing. If you are going to get involved and really want to help, it should be with a longterm understanding.

Edited by calmoriah

Also be aware of any potential of abuse in the background of any child you take in if you have children in your home already. It is an unfortunate reality that sometimes victims become abusers.

Also be aware of any potential of abuse in the background of any child you take in if you have children in your home already. It is an unfortunate reality that sometimes victims become abusers.

This has happened in my neighborhood, an adopted child who had been abused then abused someone else. Saddest situation I've seen in a long, long time. So that's why I'm worried. Of course I only have two sons who are older than 15 living in the home, but still worry. It's just that I've been an active follower of the situations in these polygamist families for so long that I thought this would give me a chance to help. It's alot to consider I know. Thanks for the input here!

I don't get how the polygamists can literally drop their underage sons off on a corner of the street and say goodbye. If you or I did it, we'd be prosecuted. Why, oh why, does Utah law enforcement turn the other way!!! If anyone would like to, please get involved, complain or do whatever it takes. I wish the church would get involved! This is so bad, back in 2005 they had about 1500 or so boys turned out of their homes. It must still be a problem, since they are in need of host families!!

I don't get how the polygamists can literally drop their underage sons off on a corner of the street and say goodbye. If you or I did it, we'd be prosecuted. Why, oh why, does Utah law enforcement turn the other way!!! If anyone would like to, please get involved, complain or do whatever it takes. I wish the church would get involved! This is so bad, back in 2005 they had about 1500 or so boys turned out of their homes. It must still be a problem, since they are in need of host families!!

Wow, Tiger Country is all I can say. I think I'd be talking this over with your Bishop, and a good counselor. Maybe you'd want to have the support of your whole ward. We learned from an adoption counselor not to bring a child into our house that was older than our own children as it disturbs the "pecking order". As far as the theology, it goes without saying that their's will be different than yours, so perhaps just calm discussions about what your believe coupled with the typical Mormon love and care... After all, the system they were steeped in just threw them out, so perhaps considerable anger is in order.

The System I practiced for 32 years threw me out, and I had a lot of rage for a long time. Its natural.