Seriously No Politics ×

Lds Chapel Built In Abu Dhabi

smac97

Cool: http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765623859/Elder-Jeffrey-R-Holland-dedicates-Mormon-chapel-in-Middle-East.html

ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates — The Middle East Africa North Area encompasses 20 countries, with Morocco on the west and Afghanistan on the east. In this vast geographical region stands just one building constructed by the church solely as a meetinghouse for its members. That building is the newly completed Abu Dhabi Stake Center in the United Arab Emirates, which Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve dedicated on Feb. 22.

The Crown Prince of the Abu Dhabi Emirate donated the land upon which the meetinghouse has been constructed. The site is a half-acre parcel adjoining other Christian churches in a sector of the city designated for such structures.

Elder Larry S. Kacher, Area Seventy, said, "We are so grateful to those in the Abu Dhabi government who have been so accepting of other faiths that they are willing to donate land to allow those not of the Muslim faith to worship as they desire. Those government officials in Abu Dhabi have been an example of tolerance and kindness to all who come here and, in return for such consideration, are willing to respect the local laws and traditions. We are grateful to them."

The stake covers four countries in the area: The United Arab Emirates, Kuwait, Qatar and Oman. Brother McMillan said the Church does no proselytizing in the area; membership is comprised of Latter-day Saints primarily from North America and the Philippines.

Cool stuff!

-Smac

if you were a member of the Church in 1988 and looking 25 years into the future I highly doubt one would see a Temple in the Ukraine, this Stake Centre, the Nauvoo Temple rebuilt and Eastern Europe being open to the preaching of the gospel. I was ten years old in 1988 and only cared about GI JOE and TV but thinking members of the Church anyways

if you were a member of the Church in 1988 and looking 25 years into the future I highly doubt one would see a Temple in the Ukraine, this Stake Centre, the Nauvoo Temple rebuilt and Eastern Europe being open to the preaching of the gospel. I was ten years old in 1988 and only cared about GI JOE and TV but thinking members of the Church anyways

In 1988, I doubt that most people would have imagined that in a couple of years the Soviet Union would open to preaching the gospel.

Neat!

I imagine that their sabbath meetings are held on the Muslim holy day, as opposed to Sunday?

Neat!

I imagine that their sabbath meetings are held on the Muslim holy day, as opposed to Sunday?

UAE folk are very moderate. I doubt that they would dictate anything.

The church is mostly composted of expats and migrant workers but I have a few friends over there who just love it. If you have marketable skills, you will make a fortune; there just isn't much there for youth. The schooling is sub par and there are no activities that we enjoy in North Americas such as dance, piano and other lessons.

You mean like not allowing and proselytizing?

To be clear, Proselytizing is not a God given right, except in America. When in another country, we need to respect their laws. People going in there should be familar with the laws. Oh, I know that some EV folk just love "Onward Christian Soldiers" and have glorious dreams of sacrificing for God! Oh, to be sure that taking a stand for Heavenly Father has an element of risk, but we want to make sure we are being murdered for our goodness, not our obnoxiousness.

probably the only thing that gets me dander up about this is why is it easier to get a stake centre built in the UAE yet in some places, like my city in North America, a Temple is progressing like molasses up a snow hill?!

My parents used to live in Qatar; they went to church in a rented building. The Stake Presidency met via Skype as they lived in different countries. It's good to see a building out there. I don't remember how they did baptisms (of Filipinos or other non-Arabs); I think it was an inflatable hot tub or something along those lines.

probably the only thing that gets me dander up about this is why is it easier to get a stake centre built in the UAE yet in some places, like my city in North America, a Temple is progressing like molasses up a snow hill?!

Patience, Meboy! Patience. As I look at the list, there is at least one other temple progressing on a similar timetable. Things could be worse. Almost ten years passed between announcement and dedication of the San Diego Temple, and forty years passed before the completion of the Salt Lake Temple. :)

Patience, Meboy! Patience. As I look at the list, there is at least one other temple progressing on a similar timetable. Things could be worse. Almost ten years passed between announcement and dedication of the San Diego Temple, and forty years passed before the completion of the Salt Lake Temple. :)

I wasn't aware of the San Diego Temple taking that amount of time!

“Why is patience so important?"

"Because it makes us pay attention.”

UAE folk are very moderate. I doubt that they would dictate anything.

No, that's not it, the dictating. LDS congregations in Israel meet on Saturday, and way back in the past when I was trying to get a job with ARAMCO in Saudi Arabia I was told by Elder Carlos Asay that LDS congregations in SA met on the Muslim holy day. I assume it would be the case in Abu Dhabi as well.

It's a matter of convenience, i think. If Sunday is a normal work day, then trying to hold meetings during the day would be problematic for church members.

No, that's not it, the dictating. LDS congregations in Israel meet on Saturday, and way back in the past when I was trying to get a job with ARAMCO in Saudi Arabia I was told by Elder Carlos Asay that LDS congregations in SA met on the Muslim holy day. I assume it would be the case in Abu Dhabi as well.

It's a matter of convenience, i think. If Sunday is a normal work day, then trying to hold meetings during the day would be problematic for church members.

An inconsistency I think is comical in a way is that here in the US, the Muslim holy day is Friday. But, get this, they have classes and things on Sunday, AND they call the classes on Sunday, "Sunday School"! In the US, the Muslims are not the psycho killers that we see in other countries. Sure, there have been "honor" killings in both Canada and the US, but that is not the rule. If they were that crazy, then I would be very afraid.

So, havingsaid all that, I think there is considerable variation in Muslims. Saudi Arabia has the Wahabbi that really wag the dog there. From the Muslim women I have met from the UAE, I expect them to be much more mild than KSA. Just saying. It's my hope.

Archived