Seriously No Politics ×

Be Present

If we live in the moment our problems truly disappear. Nothing can be more serene then being present watching your children.

Would you say you live in the past and future more then the present? What are some strategies to live in the moment? What is most rewarding about being present?

"Doing the things that matter most will lead us to the Savior of the world."

That probably only resonates with people who already feel like they know the Savior of the world. Preaching to the choir gives the choir fuzzy feelings.

If I am trying to reach an inner chord in someone who feels lost or disconnected in the world, what words make an impact?

"Recognizing what matters most will lead us to God." "God has made us creatures of this very moment. It is the only living we are actually doing."

"The past is only a memory, the future is forever unwritten and unknown. But living in the moment is a gift, that is why it is called the present."

Oh, wait, someone already said that. ;) ....

It helps to pay attention to things. The small things. Get off your phone for a moment and take in the world around you. Live a little. Be adventurous. Learn. Laugh. There's nothing more "present" than that.

[media=]

If we live in the moment our problems truly disappear. Nothing can be more serene then being present watching your children.

Would you say you live in the past and future more then the present? What are some strategies to live in the moment? What is most rewarding about being present?

This touches on what it is in Buddhism that attracts me to it's practice.

One of the main tenets of Buddhism is to emphasize the importance of living in the moment, that constant focus on one's current position in space and time (rather than future considerations, or past reminiscence) will aid one in relieving suffering.

I practice daily meditation to try to teach my mind to be in the moment.

"Be here now!" Bhagavan Das (भगवान दास) (Kermit Michael Riggs)

Dang! My exact thought!

You beat me to it! ;)

But I will include a link to wikipedia, the undisputed authority on all things spiritual, so I win!

Besides I don't have all that funny writing in my post- I talk real English. http://en.wikipedia....Here_Now_(book)

8P

Edited by mfbukowski

Dang! My exact thought!

You beat me to it! ;)

But I will include a link to wikipedia, the undisputed authority on all things spiritual, so I win!

Besides I don't have all that funny writing in my post- I talk real English. http://en.wikipedia....Here_Now_(book)

8P

Years ago, while living near Kansas City, I attended a day long event with Bab Ram Das (Dr. Richard Alpert) holding forth and telling us his story. He had a good crowd. I came away with the distinct impression that he and George Carlin could have been twins (in mind and body).

Years ago, while living near Kansas City, I attended a day long event with Bab Ram Das (Dr. Richard Alpert) holding forth and telling us his story. He had a good crowd. I came away with the distinct impression that he and George Carlin could have been twins (in mind and body).

Great story!

As a student I met George Carlin a couple of times while I was driving a cab- he would use taxis as messengers to pick up scripts, films, etc, to take them various places, and tipped generously to get the job done. He was a great guy and just as funny off stage as on.

I practice daily meditation to try to teach my mind to be in the moment.

I find noticing my thoughts to be of tremendous value in simply understanding how I think. I find it quite productive to watch myself work through something and discover how truly weird I am. :crazy:

I have been an admirer of Ram Dass for many years (since the 70's). I still have his first book "Be Here Now".

Bhagavan das' book (which was written later) is called "It's Here Now (Are You?)"

There is much to admire about Hinduism and Buddhism. Seems like the above video has taken a page from those religions. :)

Truly, most suffering comes from living in regret about the past or worry about the future, while most love and wellbeing comes from awareness and attention to the present. This makes sense as God can only be experienced in the present.

Edited by pogi

"I am here now." That is one of my foundational meditations.

It has three elements.

I am. I accept myself without over thinking who I am and what I know and what I need to do. I just BE for at least a few moments.

Here. I cannot ever be "there". I am always here in a MATERIAL SPACE and I need to be present to what is actually before me instead of what I wish for or what I imagine and fear.

Now. There is no other moment.

~

I have also found out, for myself anyway, that eternity and eternal life is something in the present, not something in the future. It is a way or condition of experiencing life as it is, and approaching life as a being full of light and love.

~

People often ask, "How come we can know the past, but we can't know the future?" But this is not the truth. We also cannot know the past. We have memory, which is most definitely not the past (it is a function of perception). And we have imagination and plans for the future. So we carry in our mind images for the past and images for the future. But past and future as objects simply do not exist. We also can imagine a radiating model where our memory of the past and our imagination of the future is fairly accurate the closer it is to the present moment, but the farther out, the more muddy it gets in both directions. That is, I'm pretty sure I know I had a piece of cake for breakfast (past), and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get dressed for work in about ten minutes (future). So my "knowledge" of past and future in that small radiating circle is pretty accurate. But the farther out we get--a thousand years in the past (collective memory) and a thousand years in the future--we are working with close to nothing but our own stories of what we want to think happened and what we hope will happen.

The exception is books [texts] and other media and artifacts, which are time machines which transmit a recording of the past into the present (although the recording is going to have a perception filter on it, as well). I do not know of this happening from the future except where we say visions have happened that allow a seeing into the future.

Edited by Maidservant
"the future is forever unwritten and unknown"

Written by the natural man, a godless atheist. He has no understanding of where he came from, why he is here, and what the future holds for us after mortality.

Our future is written by the decisions we make in the now, through the atonement of Christ.

While the exact path may not be known, the destination can be certain and secure. Our todays should be guided by the destination to which we are aspiring. Paying tithing is an act of faith and hope.

Edited by cdowis

http://www.ksl.com/?...&s_cid=queue-13

Saw this on KSL, maybe it can go along with your Youtube, Tyler.

You were inspired to post that so I could see it. The article does not necessarily relate to the post, but it applied to something that happened yesterday for me. Which makes it even that more of a miracle you posted it.

I really needed to read the following today. It also further puts in perspective the counsel by the prophets to not fear.

"Principle 1: There are only two states from which you can to respond to any situation. You can respond from love (focused on honoring, edifying and validating the other person) or you can respond from fear (focused on what you need). Every possible response fits into these two categories.

Principle 2: There are two core fears which drive most human behavior. They are the fear of failure and the fear of loss. When you let these two fears drive, your behavior is selfish, not loving."

You were inspired to post that so I could see it. The article does not necessarily relate to the post, but it applied to something that happened yesterday for me. Which makes it even that more of a miracle you posted it.

I really needed to read the following today. It also further puts in perspective the counsel by the prophets to not fear.

"Principle 1: There are only two states from which you can to respond to any situation. You can respond from love (focused on honoring, edifying and validating the other person) or you can respond from fear (focused on what you need). Every possible response fits into these two categories.

Principle 2: There are two core fears which drive most human behavior. They are the fear of failure and the fear of loss. When you let these two fears drive, your behavior is selfish, not loving."

Well you were inspired for saying I was inspired, thank you.