Seriously No Politics ×

New Editions Of Scriptures Announced

I think that the updates to the header of OD 2 are great. I'll paste them here as well...

The Book of Mormon teaches that “all are alike unto God,” including “black and white, bond and free, male and female” (2 Nephi 26:33). Throughout the history of the Church, people of every race and ethnicity in many countries have been baptized and have lived as faithful members of the Church. During Joseph Smith’s lifetime, a few black male members of the Church were ordained to the priesthood. Early in its history, Church leaders stopped conferring the priesthood on black males of African descent. Church records offer no clear insights into the origins of this practice. Church leaders believed that a revelation from God was needed to alter this practice and prayerfully sought guidance. The revelation came to Church President Spencer W. Kimball and was affirmed to other Church leaders in the Salt Lake Temple on June 1, 1978. The revelation removed all restrictions with regard to race that once applied to the priesthood.

This is amazing! This is a huge step forward. It would be even betterr if the OD2 heading mentioned post-manifesto polygamy.

I assume you really mean OD1, which had to do with plural marriage. Here is the new heading:

The Bible and the Book of Mormon teach that monogamy is God’s standard for marriage unless He declares otherwise (see 2 Samuel 12:7–8 and Jacob 2:27, 30). Following a revelation to Joseph Smith, the practice of plural marriage was instituted among Church members in the early 1840s (see section 132). From the 1860s to the 1880s, the United States government passed laws to make this religious practice illegal. These laws were eventually upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. After receiving revelation, President Wilford Woodruff issued the following Manifesto, which was accepted by the Church as authoritative and binding on October 6, 1890. This led to the end of the practice of plural marriage in the Church.

I think it significant that the last sentence doesn't say it "ended the practice," but that it "led to the end of the practice."

-Allen

Edited by awyatt

This slight change in the introduction to the Pearl of Great Price, may be of interest to some:

Introduction, paragraph 4, item 2—Changed “A translation from some Egyptian papyri

that came into the hands of Joseph Smith in 1835, containing writings of the patriarch

Abraham” to “An inspired translation of the writings of Abraham. Joseph Smith began the translation in 1835 after obtaining some Egyptian papyri.”

This slight change in the introduction to the Pearl of Great Price, may be of interest to some:

I really like that change as well. I think we overuse the word "translation" when referring to Joseph Smith's work, when "inspired translation" or even "revelation" might be more appropriate terms. Just my opinion.

I think it significant that the last sentence doesn't say it "ended the practice," but that it "led to the end of the practice."

It's even more significant that it says "unless He declares otherwise" thus explicitly showing that plural marriage is a still a doctrine of the Church. In OD 2, the ban also remains the doctrine of the Church (that there was one) as it needed a revelation to change it.

It's even more significant that it says "unless He declares otherwise" thus explicitly showing that plural marriage is a still a doctrine of the Church. In OD 2, the ban also remains the doctrine of the Church (that there was one) as it needed a revelation to change it.

I'm not sure what you mean by the "ban also remains the doctrine of the Church" since the new header says that the origins of the ban are unknown. It also interestingly says that church leaders believed a revelation was needed to change it. It doesn't actually say that a revelation was needed. I'm not sure what practical importance any of that has for us but I think the distinction in wording is interesting.

I also just now, for the first time, took a look at your signature. Very useful links! And uplifting! (I love "Come Thou Fount")

I'm not sure what you mean by the "ban also remains the doctrine of the Church" since the new header says that the origins of the ban are unknown. It also interestingly says that church leaders believed a revelation was needed to change it. It doesn't actually say that a revelation was needed. I'm not sure what practical importance any of that has for us but I think the distinction in wording is interesting.

I also just now, for the first time, took a look at your signature. Very useful links! And uplifting! (I love "Come Thou Fount")

I noticed in one of the comments on the comment section of the KSL article, someone on there mentioned bringing back the "Come Thou Fount" song in the Hymn books. Edited by Tacenda

I noticed in one of the comments on the comment section of the KSL article, someone on there mentioned bringing back the "Come Thou Fount" song in the Hymn books.

maybe that'll be the next big announcement, a new hymnal! the last one came out in 1985 so maybe

maybe that'll be the next big announcement, a new hymnal! the last one came out in 1985 so maybe

It took *forever* for the new German hymn book to come out. Explanations were usually along the lines that it took time to get translations of poetry right, we can't rush these things, etc. When I sent handmade Christmas cards to members of my MTC district (half of us were in Hamburg, and the other half in Leipzig), one I sent to a sister who was very skilled and into Church music showed an open hymn book with musical scales and notes and the song titled "Wo kann ich für Erbsen wenden?" (Where can I turn for peas [the vegetable, not peace]?).

The caption read, "The real[/b[]/i] reason for the delay with the hymns books." :)

Everyone please look at the OP and get back on topic.

Actually, the heading for OD2 says that leaders believed they needed a revelation to discontinue the priesthood ban.

But it pretty obvious to me that plural marriage is something the Lord may command his people to practice. Its right there in the Book of Mormon.

It calls the ban a "practice" not a "doctrine", nor does it say the "practice" came from God. On the other hand, it does not say that the practice was not doctrine, nor does it say that the practice did not come from God. So the heading allows us to continue with our own interpretations, with the Church being neutral (other than the institutional Church no longer claims that as having been doctrine or revealed).

The new heading is also open to the possibility that God may at some point institute polyandry, not just polygyny. It is also interesting that it states that God's normal standard is "monogamy", not one man/one woman. Plural marriage is "doctrine" only if and when God declares it to be so (or God's servants through divine inspiration).

Actually, the heading for OD2 says that leaders believed they needed a revelation to discontinue the priesthood ban.

But it pretty obvious to me that plural marriage is something the Lord may command his people to practice. Its right there in the Book of Mormon.

It is also in the Book of Mormon that there is not to be plural marriage. Is that what you are referring to?

Heh. I love that BC points out that the fact that a ban existed in history is in and of itself a doctrine.

Reminds me of some of my favorite doctrines - such as the Doctrine of the Iran-Contra Affair, the Doctrine of the voyage of the Beagle, and the Doctrine of 1994-95 El Nino event.