Seriously No Politics ×

Thinking Of Moving To Utah

MommaB

Hey Everyone,

My Husband, 5 children and I are toying with the idea of moving to Utah. We are sick of living in California and the lack of morals that come with it. I really love the fact that Utah is full of morals, integrity,and is more of a conservative state. I have no problem with the LDS church like some people do who move there. I appreciate your stance on God, family and the church since my family and I follow this system as well. Not as part of the LDS church but we do attend church that is non denominational. My husband has applied for a job there working with troubled youth and it's something we feel God has truly led him to do with his mission in life. So my questions are:

1) He will be making approx. 1,800 a month gross, is that enough to survive on in Utah comfortably in order for me to stay home with my children or would I need to find a job as well?

2) What is the median income in order to live there comfortably?

3) I have heard employers do not provide adequate health care, is this true? Is the healthcare pretty affordable if we do have to pay out of pocket?

4) What are some of the better areas to live in? The job he is applying for is in Enterprise however, we do not want to live in such a rural area. I was wondering what cities surrounding that area have a good sense of community, sports leagues for my kids and so forth and are not too pricey.

Thank you for any input I may receive and greatly appreciate it. God bless and have a great day.

I don't live in Utah, but have visited frequently and have some limited knowledge about cost of rent and such and i would be amazed if a family of seven (i'd be amazed if a family of 4) could survive on 1800 gross a month. That's less than 800 take home every two weeks. I would guess that rent alone would be at least 1000 a month if not more and that would leave practically nothing to live on.

If you are making it right now on such a low income though then bravo because that is awesome, and you might be able to make it work in Utah as well, if you could find a cheap but safe place to live. I think finding possible places to rent near your husband's work (so you don't spend hundreds on commuting each month) would be one place to start. That'll give you a better idea of what you are getting yourselves into financially.

Good luck! :)

We [Darn] Utah Mormons are horrible! If you don’t have Mormon roots going back at least six generations on all sides, we pretend you don’t even exist! We’re cliquish and standoffish, and we avoid newcomers like the plague! We’re so horrible that the Brethren have to call us out with at least one talk every General Conference—by name, or at least, by geographic region! If you don’t know how to knit, tat, and bake bread from scratch (and I mean absolutely from scratch, as in, starting with growing your own wheat from a very kernel) you’ll never get your Temple Recommend renewed!

Note: I prepared the foregoing on the assumption that you were LDS after reading the headline to your thread. Alas, it probably won’t mean anything to you since you’re not, but I’m in a weird mood today, and I couldn’t bring myself to delete it! ;)

In general (and I do mean very generally), the cost of living is lower in Utah that it is in California. However, you should also pay close attention to my caveats, below. The closest relatively major city to Enterprise is St. George, which is about 40 miles away. (And I do mean, “relatively”: St. George has a population of about 70,000, so even it isn’t a megalopolis by any means.) Alas, the cost of living in St. George and its environs does tend to be higher, because it’s a sort of “magnet community” due to the fact that it’s somewhat (and I do mean somewhat) less frigid than the rest of Utah in winter. Perhaps you and your family might be able to find a more economical living arrangement in one of the smaller communities that surround St. George. (I have my doubts, but it depends on what sort of living arrangements you'd be willing to opt for.)

As for whether you would be welcomed, the Salt Lake area, 300 miles to the north, has among the lowest concentrations of LDS in the state. There’s the story of a young man with a family who stops an older man in a certain community and, indicating he is thinking of relocating his family, asks him what the community is like. In response, the old man asks, “What is the community like from which you are moving?” The young man says, “Oh, it’s horrible! People are so condescending and standoffish! The neighbors never got to know us. The schools were horrible . . . “ and on and on. Whereupon the old man replies, “I’m sorry to say that you’ll find things to be like that here . . .” Another young man, also thinking of relocating with his family, stops the old man, asks the same question, and gets the same question in response. “Oh,” he says, “our current community is wonderful! There’s such a sense of neighborliness, the schools are wonderful, and everybody pitches in! . . .” and on and on. Whereupon the old man replies, “Yep, that’s pretty much what you’ll find here . . .”

If you do move here, you might be tempted to conclude that LDS don’t make a good enough effort to reach out to you and your family. Realize, however, that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is much more than simply a religion (and since we have a lay ministry, if anything gets done in the Church, it’s because the members do it): it is a way of life. An hour a week in the pews doesn’t suffice. It’s not that we’re ignoring you; it’s that there is quite a lot to do. Sometimes, we need to reorient our priorities. If you make your presence known (along with making it clear, if this possibility concerns you, that while you'd like to be active in the community, you don’t wish to be proselyted), I’m quite confident that you’ll find a warm enough reception.

I wish you well. :)

$ 1800/month gross seems VERY limiting. I will let the Utah folks on the board comment but a family of 7 will struggle .

I'd have to agree. If you were to opt for less metropolitan or suburban surroundings (and Utah does have plenty of those: the vast middle of the state between Provo and St. George, seems quite empty in comparison to Northern Utah and the Wasatch Front) you would stand a better chance, perhaps, of making ends meet.

Hey Everyone,

My Husband, 5 children and I are toying with the idea of moving to Utah. We are sick of living in California and the lack of morals that come with it. I really love the fact that Utah is full of morals, integrity,and is more of a conservative state. I have no problem with the LDS church like some people do who move there. I appreciate your stance on God, family and the church since my family and I follow this system as well. Not as part of the LDS church but we do attend church that is non denominational. My husband has applied for a job there working with troubled youth and it's something we feel God has truly led him to do with his mission in life. So my questions are:

1) He will be making approx. 1,800 a month gross, is that enough to survive on in Utah comfortably in order for me to stay home with my children or would I need to find a job as well?

3) I have heard employers do not provide adequate health care, is this true? Is the healthcare pretty affordable if we do have to pay out of pocket?

4) What are some of the better areas to live in? The job he is applying for is in Enterprise however, we do not want to live in such a rural area. I was wondering what cities surrounding that area have a good sense of community, sports leagues for my kids and so forth and are not too pricey.

Thank you for any input I may receive and greatly appreciate it. God bless and have a great day.

Do you mind me asking where you are from? I'm just wondering what kind of cultural shock you're in for. Also, how long does your husband want to commute? Right now I want to say St. George area is the best option. I love the climate there. Also, there are plenty of non denominational churches plus lots of California transplants! Plus there is very affordable housing but there is a boom now so don't know long it will last. Edited by Tacenda

Hey Everyone,

My Husband, 5 children and I are toying with the idea of moving to Utah. We are sick of living in California and the lack of morals that come with it.

Don't get your hopes set to high. Utah is full of the same people you find anywhere else, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Thank you everyone for the information! I live in an agricultural area in California where the temp can be anywhere from 28 degrees up to 110. It is very rural most stores are mom and pop type stores. Yes we do manage to survive out here in California because I do my best to make everything from scratch, yes even bread but not from the kernel of the wheat lol. I do not mind having to work if the need is there, I've just been accustomed to staying home with my kids for the last 5 years but I do not mind having to work outside the home. As far as the LDS goes, I think I will be fine because I am active in my community here and am pretty open to most people. Thanks again all!

Hey Everyone,

Hi. My wife and I are also considering moving to Utah to be closer to our grandkids and I amazed that you have survived at your ability to survive in CA for the amount you mentioned. I live in Orange County and can barely survive on my limited teachers income. As to the moral conditions here I usually try and dictate the moral conditions around me rather than let them dictate to me. It helps to be big and mean spirited, I guess. I have found home costs in Cedar City to be around $600 a month. Not really bad, but with 7 kids! Wow.

My advice is to make your area in Calif a moral oasis and not worry about those Saints in Utah.

Hey Everyone,

My son lived there for 7 years...two things

1 I doubt your income will do.

2. Just because Utah is about 1/2 Mormon does not mean you will be moving to paradise. In fact I fear you may be disillusioned if this is what you seek. My first trip there (among many) was eye opening, and great...my Son's marriage.

Come to Cherokee county, GA. You will find a conservative community with high morals (lots of Baptists), excellent schools, good job market, and the church is really growing.

Temple is about 45 minutes away.

Edited by cdowis

You can get anything you want, and somethings you don't want, in Utah.

$1800 a month gross income for a family of seven is substandard for a middle class lifestyle even in Utah. Also wages are generally less in Utah.

The further out in the rural area's the cost of living is only a little less than in the cities. Moreover there are far fewer resources to avail yourself of in the rural area's.

Plus if you have even a medium commute to work. You are likely to spend more in getting to work than if you lived closer to your work site. Unless you have the resources for separate living accommodations a long commute may mean making less than the job is worth.

You didn't say what part of California you live in. But generally speaking Utah is colder than California. So while you may spend more in California for cooling. You will spend much more for heating in Utah.

All that said you can make a good life for yourself in Utah as well as California. Just bloom where you are planted.

Edited by thesometimesaint

Have you checked on some specific towns in Utah? That area is full of Nat'l Monuments also. I lived in Santa Clara when I was in my teens for a short time and it was a bit unwelcoming to outsiders moving in. But now with so many moving there and the old timers slowly dying off, there isn't that problem as much. I want to move to the St. George, Washington County area and get away from the winter inversion problems on the Wasatch Front near SLC, UT.

Edited by Tacenda

Come to Cherokee county, GA. You will find a conservative community with high morals (lots of Baptists), excellent schools, good job market, and the church is really growing.

Temple is about 45 minutes away.

Wow...did not know you were there...I live just over county line near and between Acworth and Catersville on Allotoona Lake.

There, are a lot of California expatriates here. I would say if you are living on $1800 a month in Calif then you could do it here, though you might have to live in an undesirable neighborhood or too far from work. California has a much higher cost of living, except for food. And as others have indicated you will be disillusioned if you think morality is higher here. It probably is in some areas, especially further away from Salt Lake City. But you find what you are looking for no matter where you are.

BTW, I came to Utah to be close to my grandkids. But I am so happy I am here now. I love the mountain view from my balcony, I love the places to go with families. If you like the mountains and hiking there are lots of great places to take your kids with no cost. Also there is temple square and other historic sites.

I always thought it would be horrible moving to Utah because it was too dry but I was there earlier last year and was surprised how much I liked it. Of course visiting during the winter time could have me singing a completely different tune. :)

I always thought it would be horrible moving to Utah because it was too dry but I was there earlier last year and was surprised how much I liked it. Of course visiting during the winter time could have me singing a completely different tune.

That's why St. George would be awesome. Edited by Tacenda

I lived in rural Utah before moving to San Diego and you can live there cheaply if you don't mind physical labor. You can grow a garden, you can heat your house with wood, which involves harvesting dead timber. You can make monthly trips to the "city" to get necessary items, this saves money by not buying stuff locally and saving a ton. Costco is your friend.

People are generally very friendly and willing to share. One neighbor planted a huge garden and would bring us fresh produce all the time. My wife is a nurse so he would call her and ask questions and occasionally she would go to his house and help him with various health issues. My point is that people seem to be willing to help and exchange services.

One thing about Cali that I love is the cheap produce. And trader joes.

Our children loved the freedom of being able to run around with their friends at any time without fear of crime. Generally speaking, if children want to play sports, they can, everyone is welcome.

1800 gross would be tough. You would have to sacrifice. As long as you don't have any debt, it is doable.

• 2 weeks later...