Seriously No Politics ×

I Am Done

I was informed yesterday that the Episcopal church is revoking my baptism. They wouldn't give me a solid explanation as to why but it appears that my theology and politics, both of which I keep to myself at church, are partially to blame. I was invited to continue to attend but abstain from taking Communion. I think I will stop going to church all together. This is a tiresome game.

End of rant.

I was informed yesterday that the Episcopal church is revoking my baptism. They wouldn't give me a solid explanation as to why but it appears that my theology and politics, both of which I keep to myself at church, are partially to blame. I was invited to continue to attend but abstain from taking Communion. I think I will stop going to church all together. This is a tiresome game.

End of rant.

Well, you are not the only one to get thrown from a church. In my case it was a blessing. After much fumbling around Heavenly Father guided me to the LDS church, an act which I resisted to the last. It finally took a man sitting on a horse with a sword in his hand and telling me to stop to get my attention. Just saying.

Interesting. My understanding of the Episcopalians is that they literally do not reject anyone. Is this the same as an LDS excommunication, and does it remove your name from their membership rolls? Or is it a local decision that only affects your parish.

Not trying to pry into what is obviously a personal situation, but really surprised and curious.

Sorry for this to have happened "V". Like Ellen, I wonder if the LDS church is the most welcoming of all the religions? Of course I'd have nothing in my experience to back it up, only that I've been allowed to still keep a TR and still have come out to my bishop who is now the stake president. When I say came out, I mean came out that I'm struggling to believe anymore that JS was a prophet etc.

What about Unitarians Universalists? http://www.uua.org/

If not, I would still encourage you to find some sort of spiritual experience you can share with others even if it's volunteer work somewhere. Spiritual growth comes best through a variety of avenues, imo, and group experience has some unique qualities that can be extrarejuvenating or informative.

Politics should have no place in faith gatherings, imo. I was under the impression that the more liberal theological faiths were more open/tolerant to a spectrum of belief, not closed to it.

Rather surprising. Very sorry that this happened to you, it was obvious that it meant a lot to you.

Edited by calmoriah

End of rant.

Ugh, that is terrible.

Words fail me. Wish there was something I could say that would be useful, other than, "I'm sorry." :(

Sometimes churches do get in the way of our relationship with God, because even given to whatever degree they are inspired, human beings still have to be involved, dang it, and human beings often have a way of mucking things up. (I often joke about the LDS Church that God has to be involved: if He weren't, we humans would irredeemably screw it up within five minutes! ;))

God is still there for you, church or no church. That, I promise you! It wouldn't surprise me if you were somewhat confused right now, having taken a step that you feel was inspired, but having it turn out like this. Sometimes we simply have to shrug our shoulders and tell ourselves (and others) what Nephi told the angel: "I know that God loveth His children; nevertheless, I know not the meaning of all things." (I realize it's not the same thing, and I would never compare our situations, but if it means anything to you, I took a professional path that I felt was inspired on some level: things haven't turned out as I'd hoped . . . yet. The situation often has left me confused. Patience is a virtue, but I admit to not being very "virtuous" sometimes! ;))

This is just me succumbing to the pathological urge to occasionally spout nonsensical legalese ;), but I wonder if there's any kind of "appeal" or review process for the local decision. It might be worth looking into. Whatever the church's reason for the sudden rejection, I believe that, in general, churches shouldn't have political, social (or even, for the most part, doctrinal) litmus tests. We're not immune from that in the LDS Church, sadly, but, generally, I'm favor of making the tent bigger, not smaller. I think most people of good will share that view.)

Remember the wise words of Edwin Markham:

He drew a circle that shut me out —

Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.

But Love and I had the wit to win:

We drew a circle that took him in!

Since the ecclesiastical "powers-that-be" seem to be holding all the cards, you might wonder how that applies of you. I can only say that you will win if you refuse to let a seemingly-arbitrary decision embitter you (whatever the final outcome). (Much, much said than done, I know . . . !!!) But you'll still come out ahead if you decide to forgive the arbitrariness, even if no one else knows you've done so. You'll know, and God will know.

All best wishes. :)

There is not a single church on the earth that can separate me from God. In the end, His love will win out over everything else. I'm not bitter about the situation but disappointed and a little heartbroken. I think I'm getting better at understanding that religions are a human response to God rather than God's mandate for man.

It is thier loss noy yours . However,I would fight it, get reinstated then quit , Just to show the meaninglessness of it . Some church leader in all churches are idiots .

So sorry that happened to you, Valentinus.

I think some Episcopal branches are still quite conservative. I know there was a split in that church, a few years ago. I had considered going to our local Episcopalian Church, because it is more progressive but, I checked it out online, first, because I know they are not all the same.

So sorry that happened to you, Valentinus.

I think some Episcopal branches are still quite conservative. I know there was a split in that church, a few years ago. I had considered going to our local Episcopalian Church, because it is more progressive but, I checked it out online, first, because I know they are not all the same.

While I'm sure it's true that there are conservative branches, the Episcopalian Church is one of the most liberal churches in existence today. That've more or less accepted gay marriag, gay pastors and even have ministers denying Jesus Christ's divinity. how it plans to stay together is beyond me.

End of rant.

I know I've read this from your posts but follow the Holy Spirit. Heck, you may even create your own ministry. No church disciplibne allowed. ;)

I do feel for your hurt and your struggle.

Words fail me. Wish there was something I could say that would be useful, other than, "I'm sorry." :(

Sometimes churches do get in the way of our relationship with God, because even given to whatever degree they are inspired, human beings still have to be involved, dang it, and human beings often have a way of mucking things up. (I often joke about the LDS Church that God has to be involved: if He weren't, we humans would irredeemably screw it up within five minutes! ;))

God is still there for you, church or no church. That, I promise you! It wouldn't surprise me if you were somewhat confused right now, having taken a step that you feel was inspired, but having it turn out like this. Sometimes we simply have to shrug our shoulders and tell ourselves (and others) what Nephi told the angel: "I know that God loveth His children; nevertheless, I know not the meaning of all things." (I realize it's not the same thing, and I would never compare our situations, but if it means anything to you, I took a professional path that I felt was inspired on some level: things haven't turned out as I'd hoped . . . yet. The situation often has left me confused. Patience is a virtue, but I admit to not being very "virtuous" sometimes! ;))

This is just me succumbing to the pathological urge to occasionally spout nonsensical legalese ;), but I wonder if there's any kind of "appeal" or review process for the local decision. It might be worth looking into. Whatever the church's reason for the sudden rejection, I believe that, in general, churches shouldn't have political, social (or even, for the most part, doctrinal) litmus tests. We're not immune from that in the LDS Church, sadly, but, generally, I'm favor of making the tent bigger, not smaller. I think most people of good will share that view.)

Remember the wise words of Edwin Markham:

Since the ecclesiastical "powers-that-be" seem to be holding all the cards, you might wonder how that applies of you. I can only say that you will win if you refuse to let a seemingly-arbitrary decision embitter you (whatever the final outcome). (Much, much said than done, I know . . . !!!) But you'll still come out ahead if you decide to forgive the arbitrariness, even if no one else knows you've done so. You'll know, and God will know.

All best wishes. :)

Love the poem you quoted...you should read all the works of Markham.

While I'm sure it's true that there are conservative branches, the Episcopalian Church is one of the most liberal churches in existence today. That've more or less accepted gay marriag, gay pastors and even have ministers denying Jesus Christ's divinity. how it plans to stay together is beyond me.

Gay pastors and gay marriage are one thing. Denying the divinity of Christ undermines the explicit intent of why the Episcopal church was established.

I know I've read this from your posts but follow the Holy Spirit. Heck, you may even create your own ministry. No church disciplibne allowed. ;)

I do feel for your hurt and your struggle.

If I were to establish a church, it would have Jesus Christ in the name. Myself and another would be pastors of theology and teaching. Another person would be pastor of "chillax" ministry and the overall leader of the church would be a woman to keep us men in check.