Seriously No Politics ×

Gays Trying To Get Orson Scott Card Fired As A Comic Book Writer

BookofMormonLuvr

I saw this story yesterday on MSN. A lot of the comments were supportive of Card's right to have his opinion, even though they disagreed with it, and condemnation of labeling him 'homophobic' because he was against gay marriage. And to answer the OP's question, it has nothing to do with writing Superman, and I personally think it's just an excuse for some to cause trouble.

Should people be tolerant of intolerance? I don't think there's any irony here.

Some people need to learn that disagreeing with someone is not intolerance. Voicing opinions that another thinks are wrong is not intolerance. Holding beliefs that contradict someone else's beliefs is not intolerance.

Trying to take away someone's livelihood or otherwise punish them for disagreeing with you or your beliefs is intolerance.

What do his personal views have to do with writing "Superman"??

Marvel has been adding gay characters to it's line up. The opposition to Card is part of the homosexual agenda to infiltrate our media and culture with the notion that homosexuality is an acceptable and natural condition. And as everyone knows, politics is downstream from culture, so as culture accepts sin, immorality, moral relativism, etc. then the political dynamic changes towards accepting those things in law as we are seeing today.

It's ironic how intolerant this group of gay people are being while trying to punish someone else for not agreeing with them.

Should people be tolerant of intolerance? I don't think there's any irony here.

So you are agreeing that the gays are being overly intolerant here?

Glenn

School official fired for blog post about gay marriage

CINCINNATI —

A Catholic school assistant principal was fired Monday over comments he made on his blog in support of gay marriage.

The Archdiocese of Cincinnati fired Mike Moroski from Purcell Marian High School, telling him in a termination letter that he had shown “poor judgment” and violated the teachings of the Catholic church, archdiocese spokesman Dan Andriacco said.

Moroski had anticipated the move after refusing to take down the blog post and hiring an attorney.

Some people need to learn that disagreeing with someone is not intolerance. Voicing opinions that another thinks are wrong is not intolerance. Holding beliefs that contradict someone else's beliefs is not intolerance.

Trying to take away someone's livelihood or otherwise punish them for disagreeing with you or your beliefs is intolerance.

Isn't that what Mr. Scott has advocated in regards to gay marriage rights?

If I were to famously advocate against voting rights for Asian Americans, I think I could expect to lose my job over it if my employer got wind of it.

I don't agree with such actions myself, but I do believe that when someone chooses to work for a religious organization, and acknowledges that by accepting the job they are going to be held to a certain standard of expression or action when it comes to beliefs, then they should be willing to accept the consequences of any choice which violates that agreement.

Marvel has been adding gay characters to it's line up. The opposition to Card is part of the homosexual agenda to infiltrate our media and culture with the notion that homosexuality is an acceptable and natural condition. And as everyone knows, politics is downstream from culture, so as culture accepts sin, immorality, moral relativism, etc. then the political dynamic changes towards accepting those things in law as we are seeing today.

Homosexuality is acceptable to most Americans. And it's certainly natural.

Isn't that what Mr. Scott has advocated in regards to gay marriage rights?

If I were to famously advocate against voting rights for Asian Americans, I think I could expect to lose my job over it if my employer got wind of it.

Card advocates that gays not be allowed to vote?

Homosexuality is acceptable to most Americans. And it's certainly natural.

I disagree on both counts and it certainly isn't acceptable in the LDS Church for if it were, practicing and agitating homosexuals would not be automatic worthiness issues. But you're missing the point which is why it's becoming more acceptable and that not by any merit of it's own.

I don't agree with such actions myself, but I do believe that when someone chooses to work for a religious organization, and acknowledges that by accepting the job they are going to be held to a certain standard of expression or action when it comes to beliefs, then they should be willing to accept the consequences of any choice which violates that agreement.

I have mixed feelings about firing someone over personal beliefs as well. Why are you willing to give religious organizations a pass? Do you think you have to be religious to have beliefs about what is right and what is wrong?

I disagree on both counts and it certainly isn't acceptable in the LDS Church for if it were, practicing and agitating homosexuals would not be automatic worthiness issues. But you're missing the point which is why it's becoming more acceptable and that not by any merit of it's own.

They're both objective facts. You're free to disagree with them of course.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the church per se.

Public displays of intolerance can and do come back to bite people in the real world. That's life.

Pertinent to the OP: Where intolerance is a bigoted unwillingness or refusal to consent to or respect contrary opinions or beliefs, manifest in the hateful treatment of people who hold those contrary opinions or beliefs, I do not see, from the article anyway, how Card’s political position is “intolerant.” Petitioning for his firing for his beliefs on the other hand, seems to be a hateful act.

The article reports that he knowingly posted the comments in violation of his employment contract, and that he was willing to lose his job over it. Some snippets:

He said he knew he the post violated the social media policy but doesn’t feel that he violated the teachings of the church.

“I put it up there because I really truly honestly believe it,” he said. “I’m absolutely willing to lose my job over this. The only difficult thing for me now is the students.”

Moroski ...signed a contract every year that requires him to “comply with and act consistently in accordance with the stated philosophy and teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.”

Read the whole article, it is very telling. It is nothing like the OP article.

The article reports that he knowingly posted the comments in violation of his employment contract, and that he was willing to lose his job over it. Some snippets:

He said he knew he the post violated the social media policy but doesn’t feel that he violated the teachings of the church.

“I put it up there because I really truly honestly believe it,” he said. “I’m absolutely willing to lose my job over this. The only difficult thing for me now is the students.”

Moroski ...signed a contract every year that requires him to “comply with and act consistently in accordance with the stated philosophy and teachings of the Roman Catholic Church.”

Read the whole article, it is very telling. It is nothing like the OP article.

You mean because Card has not been fired and Moroski has? The question is the same in both cases. Does an employer have the right to fire someone based on personal beliefs.

You mean because Card has not been fired and Moroski has? The question is the same in both cases. Does an employer have the right to fire someone based on personal beliefs.

Sometimes.

I believe that the law recognizes that religious employers have the right to fire someone for not upholding a specific religious standard which was agreed upon beforehand, don't they? (maybe i'm remembering that wrong though).

Of course not, but breaking obligations in the employment contract violation, absolutely. Moroski intentionally broke his contract!

Sometimes.

I believe that the law recognizes that religious employers have the right to fire someone for not upholding a specific religious standard which was agreed upon beforehand, don't they? (maybe i'm remembering that wrong though).

He was not fired only for breaking the religious standard but for breaking the social media policy.

Archived