Seriously No Politics ×

The Fitness Thread

altersteve

The more people can do to get/stay in shape as the years progress, the better they will be when older. I know one of the reasons I've been so much "younger" physically than my actual age is because of my being an athlete when younger... and I played singles tennis well into my late 40's.

GG

I have two dogs that take me on a 45 minute run every day (or eat our house if I don't take them). It's my down time to listen to music and GC talks (and chase squirrels). I have to say, life is much better when you are physically fit, I mean, that's part of the reason we're here right, is to get a body and learn how to use it? discipline it? moderation in all things of coarse, but life is better - the colors are more vibrant - things are more exciting - you are happier - when you are physically fit.... plus, runners high is awesome.

Edited by changed

I have two dogs that take me on a 45 minute run every day (or eat our house if I don't take them). It's my down time to listen to music and GC talks (and chase squirrels). I have to say, life is much better when you are physically fit, I mean, that's part of the reason we're here right, is to get a body and learn how to use it? discipline it? moderation in all things of coarse, but life is better - the colors are more vibrant - things are more exciting - you are happier - when you are physically fit.... plus, runners high is awesome.

Agreed. I always find I'm happier, more energized, more focused, and more peaceful throughout the day on days that I go for a run and have a good workout. And, more importantly, it seems to place me on a path that brings me closer to Christ every time I do it.

What is P90X? i could google it I suppose. Anyway I used to walk 8 kilometers a day until I broke my leg. When we're sailing it's impossible but as soon as we hit port we're out like a shot. Everybody in our new town knows us as the walkers. We walked 12 miles to the Panama City Temple. We took a taxi back.

P90X (and Insanity) are DVD-based workout programs.

Each comes as a set of ~10 workouts, each about 45-60minutes long, and you do the programs according to a monthly schedule. "P90X" has more variety, with simple weight training using dumbells and pull-ups, cardio and yoga. "Insanity" is more focused on interval-based cardio, with push-ups being as intense as it gets as far as "weight training" goes.

They are both produced by the "Beachbody" company, which also sells many other programs that I've heard good things about. But P90X and Insanity are the most popular.

http://www.beachbody.com/

P90X is rough. Especially how much I'm required to eat -- 3,000 calories per day is a lot more than I'm used to, and not to mention expensive.

I've never bought extra shakes or powders for these programs. But when I was doing the full Insanity program, I was hungry all the time. I ate tons of chicken or tuna fish sandwiches during those two months!

If you were eating unhealthfully, you probably want to make some changes, but if you have a pretty good diet to begin with, you probably don't need to change that much.

I do cardio 6 days a week right now. I do the elliptical or stair machine for three days for 30 minutes and I run the other three, two of the runs are 30 minutes as well (lunch break at work). On Saturdays I have been running for an hour (or more) and getting in 6 miles. I also started majorily counting calories and watching what I eat. It has been good. I feel a lot better and when I get home after work, I don't feel worn out and that all I want to do is sit.

This week I am meeting with a trainer to set up a routine for adding in weights so I can tone up. I also am thinking I will try and run a 1/2 marathon at the beginning of June. A friend is helping me to set up a training plan for that.

• 2 months later...

I space out my workouts with yoga or ab workouts in the morning a couple of times a week each, strength training in the evening twice a week, cardio twice a week, and Saturday I beat myself to death with 2-3 hours with a combo of everything that in theory burns over a thousand calories. Saturdays are the hardest. I am training myself to get it done early so it is not hanging over my head all day. On Sundays I sometimes do flexibility stuff.

I have found one way to make sure I focus on prayer rather then letting my mind wander is to hold a yoga pose through it. Keeps me focused and if my mind wanders I may topple.

I resurrected this thread, one...because I cannot start topics, two...because I thought just in case any of you have cheated and ate too much or didn't work out enough this week, watch this segment from "ellen", she talks about looks and size and that it doesn't matter your size, just what's on the inside.

http://www.ellentv.c...0/fitch-please/

Not buying it. The whole "it is what is on the inside that counts" mentality has led to an obesity epidemic. What you look like is (within limits and modified by genetics and wear and tear) a representation of the inside.

Edited by The Nehor

Personally, I cannot imagine ever doing PX90 (or any similar program). It's entirely unnecessary for quality personal health. Excessive intensity (of the wrong type) over short durations (90 days, for example ;)) is both silly and less than constructive. Any exercise program, if it's to be effective in the long term (and that's really what we want, right) has to be one that you WILL DO ... long term. PX90 (andr similar programs) hardly fill the bill. Quality nutrition, combined with responsible life activity, is the best recipe for lifelong health.

Edited by cursor

I started a job as a City of Missoula Park Attendant. I spend a lot of time emptying garbages, using a weadeater and other rather physical tasks outdoors in all kinds of weather. I know it doesn't seem as cool as P90x or the Navy Seal workout dvds I've been dreaming about for a decade, but I was in agony after last week. Also, I get to be outside all day.

Although it is important to be true to yourself and work on the 'inside' you, it is just as important to be physically healthy. I am not talking about primping in front of a mirror or caring about what the latest and greatest fashions are, but instead caring about the body that God gave you and using it to the potential you can.

Although it is important to be true to yourself and work on the 'inside' you, it is just as important to be physically healthy. I am not talking about primping in front of a mirror or caring about what the latest and greatest fashions are, but instead caring about the body that God gave you and using it to the potential you can.

I agree, I was probably a cad to use your thread (unable to start topics) to be able to share the "ellen" video. I fully believe in what you said about taking care of our bodies.

Personally, I cannot imagine ever doing PX90 (or any similar program). It's entirely unnecessary for quality personal health. Excessive intensity (of the wrong type) over short durations (90 days, for example ;)) is both silly and less than constructive. Any exercise program, if it's to be effective in the long term (and that's really what we want, right) has to be one that you WILL DO ... long term. PX90 (andr similar programs) hardly fill the bill. Quality nutrition, combined with responsible life activity, is the best recipe for lifelong health.

P90X, Insanity, and other such programs are not short-term. After doing an intense workout routine for three months, and sticking with it, you won't want to stop. Trust me. There's something utterly addictive about working out. It becomes part of your life. Some people are okay with mere "responsible life activity," but others prefer to actively get stronger, not just maintain the health they have. P90X is, for some, a gateway that leads to such a lifestyle.

Some people are okay with mere "responsible life activity," but others prefer to actively get stronger, not just maintain the health they have. .

Your apparently assuming that I'm saying that a quality exercise program is not part of "responsible life activity." I didn't. There are many ways to strengthen the body and ensure flexibility. It doesn't require six days a week at an hour+ per day.

Your apparently assuming that I'm saying that a quality exercise program is not part of "responsible life activity." I didn't. There are many ways to strengthen the body and ensure flexibility. It doesn't require six days a week at an hour+ per day.

I know that. But a lot of people rather enjoy working out 6 days a week for an hour per day. ANYTHING that gets you up and moving is good for you, and P90X certainly does that.

Anyway, I keep wanting to buy a treadmill for home, but the wife isn't keen on another hunk of machinery cluttering up the place. I don't blame her, but...

I, too, would like to get a good treadmill... but they are sooo big and bulky I don't know where to put one. I hate to mess up the decor with such a big piece of equipment... and the garage isn't a good option. Particularly in winter...

So, like Tacenda I'm thinking of getting one of those thingys where you sit and pedal... that's better than nothing.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

When I was younger (much), I was athletic, but I never participated in sports in school. I was a music nerd and loved that. As a result, I never developed a work out habit. About 10 years ago, I hit 220 lbs, by far the most I had ever weighed. I'm 6' 1". I knew I had to do something to slow the downhill course (time and gravity are relentless). To get myself motivated, I did Atkins for about 6 months. I went all-out and did the 2 week "induction phase" for the full 6 months. You are allowed 20 gms of carbohydrates a day, which is the equivalent to a piece of bread. I lost 50 lbs. and felt great. I kind of started an exercise regimen, but was not consistent. As with all diets, my weight began to creep back up.

About 4 years ago, I got serious with regular exercise. For the first 6 months I hated it. We have a local YMCA, and I now go 5-6 days a week, sometimes twice a day when I can. My weight has settled at about 190, but my waist is smaller than when I was 40, and I'm stronger than when I was in my 20s. Last year, I set a goal to be able to bench press 300 lbs by the time I turned 50 and beat that date by 2 months. My cholesterol is low, my blood pressure is perfect, and my back pain (ruptured a disc at 27) is gone. I'll never run or play basketball again due to the back and 3 knee surgeries, but as long as I keep the cardio low-impact, cross train like a demon, and lift smart, I should be able to maintain for many more years.

Sweat is liquid awesome.

Successful physical results, even in later life stages, is not that difficult to achieve (given responsible focus). Here is a photo of me on my 50th birthday ... headed to the beach for a day of bodysurfing in Ventura, CA. It's all about taking responsibility (very much like that for emotional and spiritual integrity) [warning for anyone who might care ... I have no shirt on] http://www.worx.cc/m...ursor-at-50.jpg

Edited by cursor