Seriously No Politics ×

Some Questions

chesster423

I'm not a mormon and probably will never will. I'm just going to ask some questions regarding your beliefs.

1. Are all the stories in your book verified to be historically true? I found no evidence when I researched it.

2. What convinces you that the church is true?

3. I've been in a mormon church to observe. Every time some individual finishes his/her testimony, he/she backs it up with "I know the church is true." Why is that? Is it a condition or individual's will to say it?

4. There's a girl I love, she's a mormon and she told me that in order for us to be married, I must submit my self to the church. I thought love knows no boundaries. Just when did the church/god became a boundary of love?

5. Just like any other religion, does this religion ambitions to convert humanity to mormonism, worldwide?

Thank you very much!

1. I assume you are speaking of the Book of Mormon. There are quite a few evidences within the text that show correlation to possible civilizations in the Americas,but proven to be historically true,no.

3. It is an individual's choice as to how the testimony is stated.

4.It is unwise to convert just because you love a girl.I'm sure she means that she would have you honestly listen to the missionary lessons, read the literature,pray about its truthfullness and receive a witness from God,and THEN join.

5.We are to carry the Gospel into the whole world.What the world does with that information is another story.

2. See last sentence from #4

I'm not a mormon and probably will never will. I'm just going to ask some questions regarding your beliefs.

1. Are all the stories in your book verified to be historically true? I found no evidence when I researched it.

3. I've been in a mormon church to observe. Every time some individual finishes his/her testimony, he/she backs it up with "I know the church is true." Why is that? Is it a condition or individual's will to say it?

4. There's a girl I love, she's a mormon and she told me that in order for us to be married, I must submit my self to the church. I thought love knows no boundaries. Just when did the church/god became a boundary of love?

5. Just like any other religion, does this religion ambitions to convert humanity to mormonism, worldwide?

Thank you very much!

Well, there are lots of others more qualified to answer your questions. But just for fun, I am going to tell you what I think.

1.) I'm not the one to answer the first question, but I do think they are as true as the Old Testament is.

2.) For me, I am convinced the church is true because of what happened to me in the period between March 13,2011 and now. It wasn't much of a problem to me to believe in Joseph Smit and the BoM because I first believed in the Qur'an and the prophet Muhammad PBUH. It was always my conviction that Heavenly father talked right on down through the ages from Adam onward, through all the prophets and finally through Jesus Christ. The Biblical scholars I knew felt that God stopped speaking with Jesus Christ and I did not even begin to believe that, not at all.

In 635 AD, God (Alllah SWT) spoke through Muhammad PBUH, then later people like Martin Luther. In the early 1800's Heavenly Father spoke to Joseph Smith and by 1839 the first Temple was dedicated. In my own youth in the mid 50's I was asking the same questions that Joseph Smith asked, though my own path would not lead to the true church until 2011.

When I was traveling through Kirtland, Ohio one day, I was stopped by a vision and became fascinated with the temple there. The building was locked, but I found my way to an LDS stake center and they directed me a few blocks over to the LDS visitors center. Due to the hardships in my life, I was a mess and ready to end it.

I't been thrown out of my EV church for questioning the trinity, and other issues. Finally they thought they caught me in a deep moral sin that I did not do. So, when I walked into that Visitor's center, I needed love, mercy and the atonement, though at the times I never thought that I could be forgiven, no not a chance.

Over the coming months, no matter how much I cried, the Sisters insisted that I was valued by heavenly father. Finally I went from knowing I could never have the atonement, to wanting it but not feeling I could have it. One day I realized that I wanted it very badly and on January 30, 2012, I was baptized. That baptisim cured my lingering hate and sorrow about my parents and family in a supernatural way that just can not be explained away. Every day new things happen to further convince me of the truth of the church.

4.) Well, I am sorry for you, but her relationship with Heavenly Father is more important to her than you. If you study the teachings for a while, you will see what it is that makes us so loyal and committed to the church. I promise that Heavenly Father will not hurt you or kidnap you.

Much peace

Ellen

Hello Ches, welcome to the forum. You have good questions and it is kind of you to consider asking LDS what they think about their own teachings. Most LDS believe that God continues to talk to each of his children. Some listen and some do not, but when we pray he will answer. Most LDS will relate their own search for truth and how they believe God spoke to them and revealed eternal truths. You asked about the Book of Mormon; we view it as a book of scripture just as the Bible. I do not read the Bible as a history book and have never tried to prove it historically (However, there is much that is supported by history and much that is not). Some are adamant that archaeology much support the Book of Mormon before they believe. For me, I believe it is the word of God and I suspect that archaeology will support it as more and more is discovered. We believe in the Great Commission that Jesus gave to take his gospel to the whole world. We believe in Christ, we hope in Christ, and we preach Jesus Christ crucified and resurrected. We believe that he is the author and finisher of salvation. We believe that he as restored his church to the earth again and it is found within the LDS Church. We believe in truth and we claim all truth to be our own where ever it is found. What that means is that we acknowledge that other churches, other faiths, religions, beliefs hold and contain truth. We seek after these truths and we unite it with the truths God has given us. If you know something to be choice and of great worth would you not want to share it with others? When you share it would you not want to close your talk, presentation, or testimony in the name of your Master and Lord? We strive to do all things in His name; prayers, testimonies, blessings, and all other things. To join a church, any church, for another is not a pure reason and it may be fraught with self-deception. Follow Christ first and foremost.

Hi!

The Social Hall isn't exactly the best place to be asking these questions, since they do require something more than just glad-handed sociality. I'd suggest a better place for them would be the General Discussions forum, where they would be seen by many more people.

The mods ought to move the discussion, but if they don't, I suggest you contact them to do so.

You say you researched it. I am curious as to which stories in "our book" you researched, and where you researched it at?

More to the point, are you aware of what the Book of Mormon is? Do you have the story of its coming forth, and its origin? Or have you not yet gotten that far in your research?

If you have researched some of the stories in the Book of Mormon, you might have come across the promise given in the last book of the Book of Mormon, Moroni 10:4,5

4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.

5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.

The truthfulness of the Book of Mormon is not be found except through it being revealed to you through the Holy Ghost. This is how I discovered it. I read it and I prayed about it. I received an answer. That's why I am convinced the Church is true.

Talks are given by regular members, and many of them will conclude their talks by giving their testimony. Some may not. There is no rule on this. In contrast, the first Sunday of each month is somewhat different in that there are no assigned talks. Instead, individual members who choose to do so may come forward to the pulpit and do what we call "bearing their testimony", meaning that they express their feelings about the truthfulness of the Church, and sometimes add related remarks. Some might just say they are thankful for the Church, that they believe in it, or that they know it is true. Usually each one takes one to three minutes -- although some get carried away!

Unlike most other Christian churches, we believe that it is possible for a man and woman to be married (or "sealed") for eternity, not just this life. Most active Latter-day Saints who are single strive to achieve this. It is a marriage that is solemnized only in a Temple, and only active and faithful members of the church are permitted to be so sealed. If your sweetheart is desirous of this kind of marriage, then if you are serious about her you should at least participate in the missionary lessons, seriously consider the possibility that the "Mormon" church might actually be true after all, and pray to your Heavenly Father about it. If you cannot do so, it would be a good thing to be honest with your sweetheart that no way would you even consider finding out if the church is true. She could then freely decide if she should compromise her hopes and dreams and marry you without the assurance that you would join her in eternity. Ultimately it is up to you and her both.

Thank you very much!

Of course it does! What would be the point of refusing to share with the rest of the world? If true salvation from sin were available through this church, and we then kept it a secret, would this not be a great disservice to the rest of our brothers and sisters on the earth?

For further information about my relationship to the Church, please feel free to visit my profile on Mormon.org: http://mormon.org/me/1F75

1. Are all the stories in your book verified to be historically true?

Can you verify ever thing about your own life to be historically true? Pretty hard even to verify everywhere you went to school after 40 years. Or what you ate last week. Can you verify the stories in the bible as historically accurate? It is true that there are some church members and non-members alike who believe that the book of mormon is not a literal history of people who lived in the americas, and often because we have no proof at all. But that doesn't mean the Book of Mormon isn't what it claims to be, any more than not being able to verify that you attended pre-school at ______ doesn't mean you didn't.

It isn't a matter of convincing at all. We are urged to study it out in our own minds, and then seek inspiration from the Holy Ghost, whose job in the Godhood is to testify of truth. The reason I know that Heavenly Father, through his Son and our Savior, Jesus Christ, runs the church, is that I have had personal experiences with Them doing so. I have heard the witness of the Holy Ghost.

Sometimes that is a stupid rote thing to say. Just like sometimes we use the same words to pray. But usually it is a less than precise way to describe the principle of which someone has a testimony. Sometimes people say it because they never thought to ask like you have, so they think it is the way to bear testimony.

I suspect what she was trying to convey is that she intends to honor her covenants and serve the Lord and marry for eternity in the temple. In order to do the last she has to marry someone who has also developed a testimony and wants to do what she wants to do. At some point you will understand how hard it is to not share the same faith expectations and belief. There are successful marriages of differently believing partners, but not so easy. For her, marrying someone outside the temple is like a choice not to return to her Heavenly Father. If you are really not interested in learning about the gospel, or you get to a place where you have, but do not want to make the covenants, you'll be much better off finding someone whose beliefs are like yours. Despite what you may have heard, love DOES NOT conquer all. (And if she really used the words you used, I'd be afraid that she doesn't really understand the gospel anyway or that she really isn't into you, because that is a pretty harsh way of putting it. We don't think of the commandments and expectations as limitations, but as the ultimate freedom. We "fought" a war in heaven to preserve the idea that we have agency, and God will NOT require submission to His will, but invite, persuade, show the way so we can choose to give all our times, talents and resources in submission to His will. We consider it a privilege and the way to eternal and current happiness to have that opportunity. Not a burden, but a blessing.

This is the church that Heavenly Father (through Jesus) created to help every one of His children have the opportunity to choose to accept the covenants and participate in the ordinances required to return to Him (and our Heavenly Mother and Savior). Yes, we are responsible for teaching all that will hear, and doing everything we can to invite and help anyone who wants to come to Him. And not just everyone, worldwide. Everyone who has ever lived, worldwide, even after they are dead. The required ordinances all have to be performed on earth, so we do them in proxy for our ancestors who have passed on without the opportunity.

And thank you for asking us about this. You can also ask all the questions you like in a chat room at mormon.org.

Please do NOT join the church because you love a woman and want her to marry you. That isn't going to work, and sort of is a fraud (maybe even mocks God). And if you decide to take the missionary lessons, I suggest you do it without the woman or anyone she knows knowing you are doing it. You need to consider the teachings for yourself, not muddled up in the hope for romance.

Best wishes for you to sort all this out for yourself. (BTW, depending on your age, if you do join the church, she may also refuse to marry you until you've served a successful mission --- which can't be started until after you've been a faithful member for a year, but helps you learn how to live the life of a disciple of Jesus Christ. It is not a requirement, but it will make you a better person/father/worker than you were before you went to serve. And if you are really converted, you might refuse to marry her until you've gone even if she wants you to stay and marry her. The upper age for a mission is 26, I think.)

Take it up with her, though I have a sneaking suspicion that you are being disingenious here.

Take it up with her, though I have a sneaking suspicion that you are being disingenious here.

He may simply be unfamiliar with the words we normally use when discussing things like this. Precision is difficult to achieve when one is unfamiliar with the jargon.

Hi Chesster. Welcome to the board. Regarding your first question, there are in fact various pieces of evidence that suggest that the Book of Mormon is authentically ancient. I can provide more details on that if you're interested. However, as one Church leader explained, "The evidence for its truth, for its validity in a world that is prone to demand evidence, lies not in archaeology or anthropology, though these may be helpful to some. It lies not in word research or historical analysis, though these may be confirmatory. The evidence for its truth and validity lies within the covers of the book itself. The test of its truth lies in reading it. It is a book of God. Reasonable people may sincerely question its origin; but those who have read it prayerfully have come to know by a power beyond their natural senses that it is true, that it contains the word of God, that it outlines saving truths of the everlasting gospel." This has been my experience too. As I have read the book and meditated on its teachings, I have come to feel it is the word of God.

Jesus said, "By their fruits ye shall know them." I believe the Mormon gospel is true because it works. Being a Mormon has blessed my life immeasurably. I love the doctrines of the Church and I love being part of a group of people striving to bring about the kingdom of God on earth. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

When members of the church pray or share their testimony they often follow familiar patterns and tend to use stock phrases. "I know the Church is true" is one such expression. It's not a creed or anything and people aren't required to say it.

​That must be tough for you. I know you probably feel that your love could overcome whatever differences might exist between you with regard to religion, but Mormonism is not just a Sunday religion. It's a complete worldview and way of life. If you don't share that, then you are missing something huge in your relationship. Do you suppose that whole-souled intimacy is possible between two people when one partner does not share the other's deepest, most cherished beliefs and hopes? When my mom married my dad she was a new convert to the Church. My dad was not a member. He never joined the Church and my parents eventually divorced after 23 years of marriage. When the time came for us kids to marry my dad urged us to marry within the Church--for our own well-being and for the well-being of our children. He said this even though he knew it meant he wouldn't be able to attend our weddings. I realize your girlfriend's demand must seem very unfair to you now, but I hope you will eventually understand where she is coming from.

5. Just like any other religion, does this religion [have] ambitions to convert humanity to mormonism, worldwide?

Yes, pretty much :)

Hello Chesster...

Welcome to the board... I'll simply refer you to a website where you can get accurate information about the Church... lds.org is an official Church website that answers numerous questions regarding our faith. Another is FAIRlds.org which is not an "official" but is run by faithful LDS (Latter Day Saints or Mormons). There is a topical guide that provides papers and articles on numerous topics.

In Biblical scripture, Christ admonished his deciples to take his gospel to every nation, kindred, tongue and people... we follow that admonition...

from the beautiful central Oregon coast... GG

Marriage is a difficult enterprise in any situation...as should be obvious from the high divorce rate. For someone who is committed to the idea of having their marriage last a lifetime (and beyond for those who believe in such), studies have demonstrated having similar backgrounds greatly improves the chances of success. This is especially true for LDS, probably due to the high demands of time (minimum is 3 hours each Sunday plus monthly visiting to a few others members) and resources, such as devoting a tenth of income to tithing as well as additional donations to help with missionary work and welfare.

Marriage is more than just sharing a love, it is about sharing a life...and often with more than just the two of you.

For those who share beliefs in our faith and make it work, I believe studies show a high degree of satisfaction in the marriage so most of us feel it is worth all the effort and more....but anyone who chooses to marry outside the faith will keep running up against this ideal and it may cause dissatisfaction, even resentment eventually. There are success stories, but I believe they are in the minority.

Edited by calmoriah

Thank you for your kind answers. I'm sorry if ever I suspected your church or asking too many questions. BTW. My real name is Chesster and I'm 22 years of age, of course not planning to get married at this age. I was once a Catholic but after all the questions and search for truth, I abandoned the church and now searching the truth my self. It is really a long story. Really. If only I could share you my mountain of reasons, I would. But this isn't the right place for it.

The world we lived in is seriously a dangerous place, attempting to convert all of humanity will cause conflict with Islam(who in their holy book, will dominiate the world), Catholicism, and all other denomination of Christianity. LDS is not the only religion that claim to be the truth, all religions are.

Truth does not conflict. There is only one truth. If all religions claim to be the only truth but continues to conflict each other, then it may be, one of them is true OR none of them is true.

Thank you once again, and may you continue your kindness and share it throughout the world.

We also believe that there is one truth. But that doesn't stop humans from experiencing it in different ways. We believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ incorporates all truth. One of the key unique claims of the LDS church is that we alone have God's power and authority and prophet.