The War Of 1812 And Canadians

[media=]

as one of the Frozen Chosen I give you this, a couple of cuss words but FUNNY!

it was done by a Canadian comedy group, 3 Dead trolls in a Baggie (that's pronounced, beggie not Bawgie!)

Edited by Duncan

I find this puzzling how this part of our history was never really brought to my attention until last year when our beloved government initiated a campaign aimed at making that event a central part of the "Canadian identity". *sigh* Anyways... Actually, it is interesting to see how the teaching of national history differs between the provinces, or rather mostly between la belle province and the rest of Canada.

To address your post, from the little I know about this event and using a gross oversimplification, I'd say its significance resides in the fact that the US tried to conquer the territory occupied by the British, but in the end didn't succeed.

My 5 cents.*

*We don't use 1 cent coins anymore, so how can I give my 2 cents? ;)

I find this puzzling how this part of our history was never really brought to my attention until last year when our beloved government initiated a campaign aimed at making that event a central part of the "Canadian identity". *sigh* Anyways... Actually, it is interesting to see how the teaching of national history differs between the provinces, or rather mostly between la belle province and the rest of Canada.

To address your post, from the little I know about this event and using a gross oversimplification, I'd say its significance resides in the fact that the US tried to conquer the territory occupied by the British, but in the end didn't succeed.

My 5 cents.*

*We don't use 1 cent coins anymore, so how can I give my 2 cents? ;)

we never learned about it here on the prairies

Here's a link for the Bicentennial website: http://www.visit1812.com/ Growing up in Ontario, I was very familiar with the War or 1812... through learning of it at school, and visiting monuments. I was especially "taken" with the story of Laura Secord. My perception of the war (short version) was always that the British repelled the American attacks, and we became Canadians rather than Americans!

Well, you weren't Canadians yet, just Brits. But if you ask real nice, you could have a do-over, and we would probably let you in. Except for the Quebecois, they would start insisting that we put everything in French. B:)

Here's a link for the Bicentennial website: http://www.visit1812.com/ Growing up in Ontario, I was very familiar with the War or 1812... through learning of it at school, and visiting monuments. I was especially "taken" with the story of Laura Secord. My perception of the war (short version) was always that the British repelled the American attacks, and we became Canadians rather than Americans!

I think that's a perfect perception for Canadians, because for Canadians, that's exactly what the war was.

Americans actually beat the british in the war of 1812 (as it pertains to Americans), but we lost a few battles to them along the way and it's awesome that Canada takes pride in their defeat of American forces at those battles on Canadian soil. :)

I had heard that this war has a different significance to Canadians than it does to Americans. Can the other half of God's Chosen People please expand on this for me?

FYI, God's Chosen People are Canadians and Jews.

Find the Big Book of Jewish Humor, and read the piece entitled "A Montrealer Seder."

My ancestors were Empire Loyalist who were expelled from the states following, as my great uncle referred to it, the recent unpleasantness with the colonies. They arrived in Halifax having been deprived of their property and were given lands in New Brunswick and PEI. They fought again in the war of 1812 and eventually spread out across the empire.

Well, you weren't Canadians yet, just Brits. But if you ask real nice, you could have a do-over, and we would probably let you in. Except for the Quebecois, they would start insisting that we put everything in French. B:)

Don't sell out Canadians!! BTW, I'm looking at Grad School up there. I'm feeling the call to the true Zion (and not that silly Jackson County).