Seriously No Politics ×

Help... I Have To Vent!!

Garden Girl

I'm practically apoplectic....how in the world does our BYU Cougars Basketball team blow a 12 point lead over San Fran to finally lose by 11 points in the 2nd half... I think the final score was 99 to 88 in favor of San Francisco (I left the room... couldn't stand it)... Then what really had my blood pressure boiling was in the last of the second half, BYU just kept fouling thus handing SF 2 points with every foul.

And SF suddenly was on fire and in the last half of the 2nd half was hitting 3 pointers one after another... it wasn't that SF was so good until they started hitting 3 pointers left and right, it was that BYU was beating themselves.

Sorry, I really get into BYU sports and when they blow it, I can barely stand it... The Women's teams won their games in Volleyball, basketball and gymnastics... Go ladies!

GG

I am really chuckling over this, GG. I am so apathetic towards sports in general, but I can sympathize with you folks who get wrapped around the axle when "their" team loses. It is much the way I feel about the US space program being tossed into the trash can after the Apollo program finished. We should have had a lunar colony or at least a permanently-manned research station on the Moon by now. The Cougars losing a game they should have won isn't quite of the same significance, but I understand.

They will do better in their next game, I am sure.

I'm practically apoplectic....how in the world does our BYU Cougars Basketball team blow a 12 point lead over San Fran to finally lose by 11 points in the 2nd half... I think the final score was 99 to 88 in favor of San Francisco (I left the room... couldn't stand it)... Then what really had my blood pressure boiling was in the last of the second half, BYU just kept fouling thus handing SF 2 points with every foul.

And SF suddenly was on fire and in the last half of the 2nd half was hitting 3 pointers one after another... it wasn't that SF was so good until they started hitting 3 pointers left and right, it was that BYU was beating themselves.

Sorry, I really get into BYU sports and when they blow it, I can barely stand it... The Women's teams won their games in Volleyball, basketball and gymnastics... Go ladies!

GG

San Francisco? University of? The last time I heard of their basketball team the starters were Bill Russell and K.C. Jones. Anyway....Sorry GG. This proves you can't win 'em all.

Thanks Stargazer... I do realize that in the scheme of things, BYU sports aren't very significant... particularly to the posters on this board. But to someone like me, who attended BYU a millenium ago (yikes)... I have such a soft heart toward the campus and its sports. I've watched BYU expand from the small school it was in 1959-60 ro what it has become today with some of the best programs/schools. I have wonderful memories of attending classes, living in the dorms, making friendships that are in place today. That's why I like going to Educ Week and Women's Conference, staying in the dorms, attending classes... it's like stepping back in time to what was a very special part of my life. So, yes, I do get caught up in BYU sports... it's part of my entertainment... something I look forward to.

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Thanks Stargazer... I do realize that in the scheme of things, BYU sports aren't very significant... particularly to the posters on this board. But to someone like me, who attended BYU a millenium ago (yikes)... I have such a soft heart toward the campus and its sports. I've watched BYU expand from the small school it was in 1959-60 ro what it has become today with some of the best programs/schools. I have wonderful memories of attending classes, living in the dorms, making friendships that are in place today. That's why I like going to Educ Week and Women's Conference, staying in the dorms, attending classes... it's like stepping back in time to what was a very special part of my life. So, yes, I do get caught up in BYU sports... it's part of my entertainment... something I look forward to.

GG

I keep wanting to do Education Week, but we always manage to find something else to do during August. Although last August that "something else" was an Alaska Cruise aboard the Rhapsody of the Seas! Nice.

GG

Excellent review of the game! One of the keys seemed to be the way San Francisco defended Tyler Haws--to the point of distraction and then total frustration. One had the impression that losing his temper as he did, totally befuddled him for the rest of the game. He is normally such an unflapple competitor. I wish Coach Rose had let the 2nd string play more tonight, since they seemed to be playing better than the 1st string.

I keep wanting to do Education Week, but we always manage to find something else to do during August. Although last August that "something else" was an Alaska Cruise aboard the Rhapsody of the Seas! Nice.

I love Educ Week... hope you can make it someday soon as it is well worth it. I love getting up early and rushing down to the cafeteria to have breakfast, then heading across campus for a day of classes. I usually take the religion classes because that's what I go for, but have occasionally taken classes from numerous other topics, etc. Two of my favorite things: browsing in the Bookstore at the end of the day before heading back to the dorm/cafeteria for dinner... and, about 5:30 - 6:00 as I walk toward Helaman Halls looking up at the hills as they begin to turn soft reds and purples, seeing the "Y" as it stands out reminding me of a special day in 1959 when I and other freshmen made our way up the hill to paint the Y... Yes, I painted the Y.

You can't imagine what the campus was like in 1959 compared to today... The tuition for three quarters was about $995 ( compared to a national avg of over $1500) not including personal expenses. Smith Fieldhouse seated about 10,500 and was where we held devotionals, etc. There were 26 wards on campus each with about 300 students. Enrollment was about 12,000 total. There were 11 colleges plus the graduate school, plus adult educ and extension services. On-campus housing accommodated about 1300 single men, 2400 single women and about 340 marriied couples.

The campus was expanding rapidly during '59-'60 as part of a $20,000,000 building program, including a $4,000,000 library under construction, a Coll of Business bldg, an industrial arts bldg and a new admin bldg, plus a variety of recreational facilities, all of which would supplement the existing bldgs which included three recently completed classroom bldgs and the existing bldgs (McKay Bldg, Grant Library, Brimhall Bldg, Smith Auditorium, Eyring Sci Center, Smith Family Living Center).

Yea, I do look back at BYU as a very special time in my life, before the buffetings of cares and responsibilities began in earnest.

GG

GG

Once a Cougar, always a Cougar. :) I went to a Georgia / BYU football game once, sat among 300 missionaries who got permission to go...and cheered for the Dawgs (that is how we spell it here) Go Dawgs! The next day a elderly lady (after I spoke in Sacrament that Georgia winning was a great spiritual experience) said...Brother Lee, you know BYU is the Lord's University. I then replied that religion is one thing and football another and that in the South, football is a religion...so back off! True story...gave her a hug and we both had a good laugh.

GG

I couldn't watch the end of that game, when it became obvious what was going to happen with about two minutes left, I shut off the TV and went to bed. You really want to get into it? Come on over to Cougarboard.com, where we spend days celebrating each win, agonizing over losses-we could use some more sisters on that board.

I couldn't watch the end of that game, when it became obvious what was going to happen with about two minutes left, I shut off the TV and went to bed. You really want to get into it? Come on over to Cougarboard.com, where we spend days celebrating each win, agonizing over losses-we could use some more sisters on that board.

Thank you Buzzard!! I had no idea... I'll certainly pop in. I couldn't watch the end either. What upset me most was we could have narrowed or perhaps even overcome the deficit had we not kept fouling. That just put the score impossible to overcome in the time left. I was so upset I felt like writing Coach Rose and asking What in the world is with all the fouling??

Again, thanks for the tip about Cougarboard...

GG

Considering that University of Utah was the first university founded by BY...it is only natural that BYU would inherently suck!

Valentinus!! Noooo!! :acute:

GG

Edit to add... wish I knew how to post pictures... I'd post one of me as a 19 year-old Co-ed. Go Cougars! Like a lifetime ago.

Edited by Garden Girl

If I were Mormon, the U would be the Lord's University and not that dirty mudpit in Provo.

I laughed out loud at this Valentinus! You do love to tweak me don't you.

Cheers... GG

Well...now that I know what gets under your skin...I suppose I could take the time to buy you a Ute hoodie to extend Godly affiliation to you. Better Red than dead, after all!!

:o:D:angel:

• 1 month later...

I had to search back to find this thread...

Well today is the big day... I'm so excited because here it is, the NIT semi-finals and my dear BYU Cougars are in New York and will be in Madison Square Garden in a few hours. I never pray for the BYU teams to win their games, but I do pray... have prayed this morning... that they will be able to gather all their skill and heart and play their very best with honor and passion....

Okay, Valentinus... bring it on, I'm ready for you... :acute:;)

from the beach on a lovely spring morning... GG

Edited by Garden Girl

GG

BYU...is that a High School out West? :) I went to see them play Georgia, sat among 300+ missionaries who were allowed to attend. I had a good friend who was a missionary, he had stayed in our area so long that we became close friends...as in those days we were close in age. He got transferred just before the game, so we worked out an argument when we saw each other again. I showed up in my GA red. So we started taunting one another. I yelled, "YOU WANT TO TAKE THIS OUTSIDE! Once the mission President realized it was a joke...he was not pleased. But the heavens ruled that day and Kevin Butler kinked a field goal with 11 secs remaining to Win. God is good. But take heart, when not playing Georgia, I also cheer for BYU, especially if they ever beat Georgia Tech...the devils spawn. :(:)
I had to search back to find this thread...

Well today is the big day... I'm so excited because here it is, the NIT semi-finals and my dear BYU Cougars are in New York and will be in Madison Square Garden in a few hours. I never pray for the BYU teams to win their games, but I do pray... have prayed this morning... that they will be able to gather all their skill and heart and play their very best with honor and passion....

Okay, Valentinus... bring it on, I'm ready for you... :acute:;)

from the beach on a lovely spring morning... GG

You like to bait me with your idolatrous posts dedicated the University of Perdition (BYU). By God's will, the rabid, spineless cats will lose.

Edited by Valentinus

You like to bait me with your idolatrous posts dedicated the University of Perdition (BYU). By God's will, the rabid, spineless cats will lose.

Valentinus: Meow

GG: ROARRRR!!

You go right ahead and roar all you want...it ain't gonna help the cougars none. They are already condemned. Maybe you and I can meet up this fall when the U kicks the trash out of BYU...AGAIN!!!

Again? Again??! Seems to me I remember the Y doing a bit of foot stomping itself!! :aggressive:;)

GG