What Has The New Farms Produced?

I'm just as interested as the rest of you to find out the precise titles of the 6-7 books that we will publish this year. However, as at least half of them (I suspect) will be METI titles, I find it a little bit disturbing that the editor-in-chief is not a little bit better informed. Come on Dan, tell the group what METI titles will appear this year...

Maybe he's not better informed because the editor in chief was kicked out of his office at the Institute, and the director won't invite him to any administrative meetings or even speak to him. Just a thought.

And finally, on the topic of publishing: Since no actual knowledge whatsoever seems to be required to have an opinion, I might venture that although Yale UPs spring catalog is readily available for all the world to see their Fall 2013 catalog is nowhere to be found. Come on Yale UP, no need to be shy, tell us what you're publishing later this year - or is it a secret.

It is pretty amazing--shocking really--that no one associated with the Maxwell Institute apparently has any idea what is going to be published by the Institute this year.

I don't see how badgering Blair is going to help anything.

We don't know the situation- the guy has a great new job and he is doing what he needs to do. Who really cares what they publish and when?

What is going to change if they do or do not publish this year? What difference does it make in the long run to anyone? Those who got fired got fired- it was a raw deal, but now this just looks like sour grapes whatever the real emotions behind it. It is just unbecoming to be badgering Blair- he is doing the best he can under circumstances we do not understand.

The difference is that hundreds of people have donated millions of dollars and tens of thousands of hours to an Institute that is now being systematically dismantled and diverted to the pet projects of the "directors" who now claim to be publishing over two dozen books, but can't actually name the title of a single one.

See post 96 above

I did. Not a single book is named there. Just saying.

This is a really simple PR problem to solve. Really simple.

Of course everyone knows that Dan is extraordinarily prolific in the editing of journals and books. But the fact that you can only point to Dan as the editor in chief of half of the (alleged) books to be published by the MI in 2013 is more than a little ironic considering what the director has done to Dan.

Do you really want to hold up Dan's example as supervising half of the books to be published by MI this year, as compared to, for example, the productivity of the other "directors?" Really? Is there any book MI will be publishing that was not under Dan's supervision?

Edited by Bill Hamblin
I'm just as interested as the rest of you to find out the precise titles of the 6-7 books that we will publish this year. However, as at least half of them (I suspect) will be METI titles, I find it a little bit disturbing that the editor-in-chief is not a little bit better informed. Come on Dan, tell the group what METI titles will appear this year...

Think long and hard before you let the mask drop, Kristian.

The next METI volume will be The Alexandrian Epitomes of Galen, Vol. 1, translated by John Walbridge of Indiana University. Come fall, Mulla Sadra: Metaphysical Penetrations, translated by Seyyed Hossein Nasr, should appear. And, hopefully, there will be another volume (or perhaps two) in the Medical Works of Moses Maimonides (both from his "Medical Aphorisms").

That's two to four volumes of the projected six or seven Institute books.

METI is a great project. But, when I brought it into FARMS, I didn't ever dream or desire that it become the principal effort of the organization.

Edited by Daniel Peterson

The difference is that hundreds of people have donated millions of dollars and tens of thousands of hours to an Institute that is now being systematically dismantled and diverted to the pet projects of the "directors" who now claim to be publishing over two dozen books, but can't actually name the title of a single one.

Systematically dismantled? Pet projects? It sounds to me as though you continue to think that NAMIRS is identical with the Mormon Studies Review. MSR is and always has been a VERY SMALL part of the Institute. There's lots more going on here that that publication. Look at the great research that John Gee and Matt Roper continue to do - with the full support of the Executive Director. Look at the landmark Critical texts project, that proceeds apace, with the full support of the Executive Director. Look at METI, which is actually flourishing more than ever, with the full support of the Executive Director. I could go on, and on about the great work that is going on here.

Think long and hard before you let the mask drop, Kristian.

The next METI volume will be The Alexandrian Epitomes of Galen, Vol. 1, translated by John Walbridge of Indiana University. Come fall, Mulla Sadra: Metaphysical Penetrations, translated by Seyyed Hossein Nasr, should appear. And, hopefully, there will be another volume (or perhaps two) in the Medical Works of Moses Maimonides (both from his "Medical Aphorisms").

That's two to four volumes of the projected six or seven Institute books.

METI is a great project. But, when I brought it into FARMS, I didn't ever dream or desire that it become the principal effort of the organization.

Why not? METI is a great project. It has international respect. It makes a solid academic contribution? It had the full support of Elder Maxwell. Sounds like a great thing for NAMIRS to get behind with real gusto. It's you're legacy to Islamic Studies Dan. I'm sorry that you're not pleased about that.

P.S. Bill - Now you have 3-5 titles out of the 6-7. If there is another Skousen volume that will push us over the edge. Not so much mystery after all.

The important thing is that the world knows that the NAMIRS is a going concern, with active and increasing publications plans, great research projects and good ideas, all being executed by a brilliant group of faithful scholars, editors and administrators.

Why not?

Because there were and are other things that the organization should be doing, as well.

METI is a great project. It has international respect. It makes a solid academic contribution? It had the full support of Elder Maxwell. Sounds like a great thing for NAMIRS to get behind with real gusto.

Of course it is. That's not the point at issue.

It's you're legacy to Islamic Studies Dan.

Not my only legacy, I hope. I'm not quite dead yet.

I'm sorry that you're not pleased about that.

LOL.

Systematically dismantled? Pet projects? It sounds to me as though you continue to think that NAMIRS is identical with the Mormon Studies Review. MSR is and always has been a VERY SMALL part of the Institute. There's lots more going on here that that publication. Look at the great research that John Gee and Matt Roper continue to do - with the full support of the Executive Director. Look at the landmark Critical texts project, that proceeds apace, with the full support of the Executive Director. Look at METI, which is actually flourishing more than ever, with the full support of the Executive Director. I could go on, and on about the great work that is going on here.

For some reason I am reminded of how visitors to Pyongyang are loaded onto official buses and taken on a strictly choreographed tour of the city, very carefully avoiding the "bad parts" of town.

I also feel for good friends compelled to watch this sordid drama play out from within the castle walls.

Systematically dismantled? Pet projects? It sounds to me as though you continue to think that NAMIRS is identical with the Mormon Studies Review. MSR is and always has been a VERY SMALL part of the Institute.

There's lots more going on here that that publication. Look at the great research that John Gee and Matt Roper continue to do - with the full support of the Executive Director. Look at the landmark Critical texts project, that proceeds apace, with the full support of the Executive Director. Look at METI, which is actually flourishing more than ever, with the full support of the Executive Director. I could go on, and on about the great work that is going on here.

Thanks for making my point. There was a day when Syriac and METI was a very small part of MI. MI used to publish Mormon scripture studies and apologetics with a bit of METI. Not any more. The Mormon scholarship is now a very small part. Got it.

It is highly doubtful that Roper and Gee have the full support of the director.

Given what Bradford did to Dan, it is extraordinary for you to claim that Dan has the full support of the director.

P.S. Bill - Now you have 3-5 titles out of the 6-7. If there is another Skousen volume that will push us over the edge. Not so much mystery after all.

The important thing is that the world knows that the NAMIRS is a going concern, with active and increasing publications plans, great research projects and good ideas, all being executed by a brilliant group of faithful scholars, editors and administrators.

Lets assume that what you claim is accurate rather than mere self congratulations. I have no objection to whatever good work you might do. I object to the systematic intentional dismantling of classic FARMS research and publications that the institute used to do.

For example, besides the work of Sorenson and Skousen that have been in the works for years, what new books on the Book of Mormon are in the editorial pipeline?

For some reason I am reminded of how visitors to Pyongyang are loaded onto official buses and taken on a strictly choreographed tour of the city, very carefully avoiding the "bad parts" of town.

I also feel for good friends compelled to watch this sordid drama play out from within the castle walls.

Will, if I may say so, you are almost as good at the extravagant metaphor as my good friend Dan Peterson. I have to say how glad I am that the bonds of friendship stop this debate becoming acrimonious. Lou is good friends with Jerry, you are good friends with John, and Dan is good friends with everyone.

Since its not a mystery, why is it so difficult to get someone to actually name the books?

what new books on the Book of Mormon are in the editorial pipeline?

I heard recently that Jerry just acquired a great new title on the coming forth of the Book of Mormon, written by two of his good friends in the Church History department. I'm hopeful that it will appear this year, or possibly early 2014. And Bill, if you have a Classic FARMS title that you're eager to write, or have written, please do send it along. I can only imagine that we'd be very interested.

You see, it not so much that we don't want to publish classic FARMS titles, it's just that people don't write them anymore!

Thanks for making my point. There was a day when Syriac and METI was a very small part of MI.

Rest assured, Syriac is still a very small part of the Institute! When I joined the Institute CPART had 13 employees. Now it has 1 - me. Do you hear me complaining about systematic dismantling? No. I'm glad to have a job and the opportunity to make a small contribution to an interesting and important ( to me at least) academic field.

I heard recently that Jerry just acquired a great new title on the coming forth of the Book of Mormon, written by two of his good friends in the Church History department. I'm hopeful that it will appear this year, or possibly early 2014. And Bill, if you have a Classic FARMS title that you're eager to write, or have written, please do send it along. I can only imagine that we'd be very interested.

You see, it not so much that we don't want to publish classic FARMS titles, it's just that people don't write them anymore!

Oh that's rich! You systematically alienate, expel, fire and marginalize scholars who do classic FARMS scholarship and whine that there's no more FARMS scholarship! That's priceless.

Authors and titles on the book? I note that this is not a book about the Book of Mormon. It is a book on church history. An important distinction to those who remember FARMS as an institute for the study of the BOM.

Rest assured, Syriac is still a very small part of the Institute! When I joined the Institute CPART had 13 employees. Now it has 1 - me. Do you hear me complaining about systematic dismantling? No. I'm glad to have a job and the opportunity to make a small contribution to an interesting and important ( to me at least) academic field.

Yes, alas you are a director with nothing to direct.

So, as I said, systematic dismantling and contraction.