Seriously No Politics ×

England Passes Marriage Equality

Damien the Leper

I hope you will not be insulted to learn that not all of us share in your joy. It's not marriage equality, it's another bullet into the wounded body of traditional marriage, the foundation of every society.

I hope you will not be insulted to learn that not all of us share in your joy. It's not marriage equality, it's another bullet into the wounded body of traditional marriage, the foundation of every society.

I understand but your post is a little melodramatic. You do realize that gay marriage doesn't effect straight marriage, right? And let's not get into another debate. There are 4 open threads in the General forum.

Traditional marriage is only the foundation of every society as long as you redefine it to include every heterosexual sexual relationship that involved sexual exclusivity. I really doubt that most people think of or are defending dowries, arranged marriages, polygyny, concubines, brideprices, and what we would call pedophilia when they think of the glorious traditional marriage.

No nation can or will survive under gay marriage. Marriage is an institution from God with cultural celebrations mixed into it; not a cultural celebration with God mixed into it. Furthermore, homosexual behavior, under all circumstances, is condemned by God. That can hardly be said of heterosexual behavior.

My marriage is still great. I've noted with interest that each time gay marriage is legalized, it has done no damage at all to my traditional, heterosexual marriage.

My marriage is still great. I've noted with interest that each time gay marriage is legalized, it has done no damage at all to my traditional, heterosexual marriage.

Did you notice any damage to your "traditional, heterosexual marriage" when no-fault divorce laws were passed? If not, then maybe you are looking in the wrong place for the damage being done.

Did you notice any damage to your "traditional, heterosexual marriage" when no-fault divorce laws were passed? If not, then maybe you are looking in the wrong place for the damage being done.

No, no damage there either.

Funny how allowing people the freedom to make their own decisions has had no negative impact on my own.

Wait?!?!?!?! Same sex marriage is a welfare issue? Say what?

That's all it is and has ever been. A question of who gets benefited (tax breaks, privileges, etc.) by the state. So should the state be engaged in benefiting risky and undesirable behavior? Of course not. By providing such benefits, the state also lends credibility and legitimacy in the eyes of society which of course leads to more risky and undesirable behavior.

Those making the religious argument that marriage is ordained by God and by definition means only a man and a woman can be married, while correct, miss the mark completely because such a weapon can't hit in a non religious society. Making it a welfare/societal issue is the only way to win. That is why you have always seen me argue that gays can already be married in every state. Just don't ask the state to recognize such marriages.

That's all it is and has ever been. A question of who gets benefited (tax breaks, privileges, etc.) by the state. So should the state be engaged in benefiting risky and undesirable behavior? Of course not. By providing such benefits, the state also lends credibility and legitimacy in the eyes of society which of course leads to more risky and undesirable behavior.

So the only way to be true to be a true libertarian is to never get married? Otherwise you are sucking on the teat of government welfare? I thought welfare was bad. This means homosexuals are currently the pure ones.........

Those making the religious argument that marriage is ordained by God and by definition means only a man and a woman can be married, while correct, miss the mark completely because such a weapon can't hit in a non religious society. Making it a welfare/societal issue is the only way to win. That is why you have always seen me argue that gays can already be married in every state. Just don't ask the state to recognize such marriages.

So you, who decry welfare regularly, are arguing that giving gays welfare equal to what you are getting will convince a secular society that you are correct?

Somehow I do not think this plan will work. Good luck though.

Not at all. Equality is based on liberty, not welfare.

The welfare as you call it is not at the top of the reasons why I would like to marry. If it's about welfare then perhaps heterosexual couples should stop applying for marriage licenses.

I will admit that I really don't need a piece of paper to legitimize my relationship. The paper is trivial compared to the sanctity of the committed relationship itself.

Archived