Seriously No Politics ×

Temple Attendance Without A Current Card...Not Going To Work

Calm

So my husband assured me last night that my temple recommend expired next year, not this year. Unfortunately he was wrong, it expired exactly 17 hours ago. Since we were planning on going with the Bishop and his wife, I thought from what I have heard in the past it would be okay to try, but didn't want to get stuck in the car for several hours so I call up the temple. With the two year recommend, they are no longer allowed to make exceptions...which is totally understandable with all the stuff going up on youtube, etc. out there. Now it might be that if I had shown up with a day over expired card with my bishop, they would have bent the rules for me but I am glad I didn't put them in that situation and I wouldn't recommend trying it because they sounded very certain on the phone.

Just thought I'd warn anyone who is too lazy to check ahead like me, check ahead or you may be very dissappointed....even better, just keep your recommend current.

Thanks for the heads up.

And just another FYI for anyone who might ever be in a similar situation, i recently traveled to montana/wyoming and left my recommend (and all my ID actually) in North Dakota. We had planned on attending the Billings temple while in the area and i was really bummed that i might not be able to go.

I called and asked though and with the wonders of computers, it's super easy for a temple to simply look you up and verify if you have a recommend or not. The rule is that a picture ID is required but because my husband was with me (and had his recommend) the man at the desk asked a higher up (the guy that runs the temple, not the president or counselors) to o.k. it and they let me right in. The whole process took about 5 minutes.

So, if you have a temple recommend but not with you, don't ever let that stop you from going!

So my husband assured me last night that my temple recommend expired next year, not this year. Unfortunately he was wrong, it expired exactly 17 hours ago. Since we were planning on going with the Bishop and his wife, I thought from what I have heard in the past it would be okay to try, but didn't want to get stuck in the car for several hours so I call up the temple. With the two year recommend, they are no longer allowed to make exceptions...which is totally understandable with all the stuff going up on youtube, etc. out there. Now it might be that if I had shown up with a day over expired card with my bishop, they would have bent the rules for me but I am glad I didn't put them in that situation and I wouldn't recommend trying it because they sounded very certain on the phone.

Just thought I'd warn anyone who is too lazy to check ahead like me, check ahead or you may be very dissappointed....even better, just keep your recommend current.

Huh? So you show up with your Bishop, the one who gives you the recommend, and he can not just do it at the Temple ???

Huh? So you show up with your Bishop, the one who gives you the recommend, and he can not just do it at the Temple ???

I believe that they would need to make a call to the stake president. That my impression of how it has been in the past. I wasn't aware that you could get in with a picture ID like bluebell explained.

Edited by ksfisher

Hello Ellen ...

The temple recommend new or renewal interview is a two-step process... 1) a meeting with a member of your ward bishopric... and then 2) a meeting with a member of your Stake Presidency. The bishop and stake president both approve the recommend...

In Bluebell's example, she had a valid recommend in effect, and the temple personnel were able to verify that, so with her picture ID she was able to enter.

But if a recommend has expired, they are more strict.

GG

I believe that they would need to make a call to the stake president. That my impression of how it has been in the past. I wasn't aware that you could get in with a picture ID like calmoriah explained.

The Sister Missionaries used to admonish me to learn to be sweet and patient. I heard it so often that eventually I knew by the Sister's look that I had crossed the line.

"Sister, be sweet and patient."

Hello Ellen ...

The temple recommend new or renewal interview is a two-step process... 1) a meeting with a member of your ward bishopric... and then 2) a meeting with a member of your Stake Presidency. The bishop and stake president both approve the recommend...

In Bluebell's example, she had a valid recommend in effect, and the temple personnel were able to verify that, so with her picture ID she was able to enter.

But if a recommend has expired, they are more strict.

GG

Actually i didn't have my picture ID, but thank goodness i was with my husband who could vouch for who i was! :D

You need a Stake President's okay as well. :)

Oops....see I am a little late.

Edited by calmoriah

It happens, it happens! According to the Pres. Faust biography of a few years back he showed up with his family at the Washington DC Temple with his special looking GA Temple recommend. The person at the desk didn't reconize him or the recommend so he wouldn't let him in so, rather then hey pal I am an Apostle they just all left.

Also heard when Elder Cree L. Kofford of the Seventy showed up to a Temple with his wife, there was a notation near his name on the register that said, "GA" and they were let in and someone was looking for him afterwards and said "where is that couple from Georgia?" so he asked why would you think we are from Georgia? and the person said oh well besides your name on the register it says, "GA" and that's the state initials for Georgia. hahahahaha! Isn't that a riot?!