Seriously No Politics ×

"Preaching The Same Jesus"

BookofMormonLuvr

I hope this isn't against board guidelines- I apologize if it is. I just think this is really neat.

Dr. Robert Millet and Dr. Lynn Ridnehour are planning an evening of coming together to celebrate their common belief in the Book of Mormon and Jesus.

Dr. Millet is LDS and a professor at BYU.

Dr. Ridenhour is an ordained Southern Baptist preacher who believes in the Book of Mormon. He recently gave a presentation to the faculty at BYU that was warmly recieved.

This will be in Independence on June 7th & 8th.

If you can make plans to be there, that would be great!

You can find Lynn's "flyer" by following the link on my signature.

God Bless!

Well, I agree with much of what he said. Baptists may not have the whole truth, but they have a lot of it, and apparently some recognize it in other denominations (ours). I do note that he makes not one mention of Moroni or the plates. Hard to divorce the doctrines found in the BOM with the story of it's coming forth.

Reading Ridenhours "The Baptist Version of the Book of Mormon" brings to my mind the conversation between Alvino and me about profound discourse. Ridenhour seems quite profound to me. I wonder what Alvino would think about it.

For those interested in learning a little more about Lynn Ridenhour and the projects he has been working on, here is something to look at:

http://lynnsbridgebuilding.com/

Wow, that's quite a library of books he has written about restoration subjects! I note that the cover illustration on the "The Kingdom on Earth" is the same one the Jehovah's Witnesses have on one of their major publications.

Does this gent have a Southern Baptist congregation for which he is the pastor?

Wow, that's quite a library of books he has written about restoration subjects! I note that the cover illustration on the "The Kingdom on Earth" is the same one the Jehovah's Witnesses have on one of their major publications.

Does this gent have a Southern Baptist congregation for which he is the pastor?

He does not have a congregation- he sees himself more as an traveling evangelist type preacher.

I've read Ridenhour's explanation and defense of the Book of Mormon. I thought it was great. You can find it here.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about what Ms. Lynn Ridenhour wrote. She did not state that

she believed the Book of Mormon was either historical or inspired. These are very important

omissions. Shakespeare could write a book containing some of her key points and she

could write up a web page entitled something like "The Baptist Version of Shakespeare's

version of the Bible".

As for the title of the poster's thread, "Preaching the Same Jesus". That's questionable. I

know of no Baptists who preach a Jesus who is the first spirit child of Heavenly Parents.

In her section of the Lord Jesus Christ, somehow she forgot to mention the destruction

of all those cities, the storms, the earthquakes, and the three days of darkness that

reportedly happened at the crucifixion of Christ on some unknown land.

Her quote of John Henry Evans on Joseph Smith - "He wrote a book which has baffled the

literary critics for a hundred years and which is today more widely read than any other

volume save the Bible…"

Get serious Lynn (or John). Most people have never heard of the Book of Mormon. Unless

they are specifically referring to people in Utah. More children have read Harry Potter.

Thanks,

Jim

I wouldn't be too optimistic about what Ms. Lynn Ridenhour wrote. She did not state that

she believed the Book of Mormon was either historical or inspired. These are very important

omissions. Shakespeare could write a book containing some of her key points and she

could write up a web page entitled something like "The Baptist Version of Shakespeare's

version of the Bible".

As for the title of the poster's thread, "Preaching the Same Jesus". That's questionable. I

know of no Baptists who preach a Jesus who is the first spirit child of Heavenly Parents.

In her section of the Lord Jesus Christ, somehow she forgot to mention the destruction

of all those cities, the storms, the earthquakes, and the three days of darkness that

reportedly happened at the crucifixion of Christ on some unknown land.

Her quote of John Henry Evans on Joseph Smith - "He wrote a book which has baffled the

literary critics for a hundred years and which is today more widely read than any other

volume save the Bible…"

Get serious Lynn (or John). Most people have never heard of the Book of Mormon. Unless

they are specifically referring to people in Utah. More children have read Harry Potter.

Thanks,

Jim

Lynn Ridnehour is a man, not a woman.

... Apparently you believe in a different Lynn Ridnehour.

Lynn has been here before, if I remember correctly. Does anyone else recall him posting here, for a time? I know he posted at Concerned Christians for a while until they no longer tolerated his presence.

Yes, I remember Lynn very well. He was an extremely interesting guy. A Baptist Minister who converted to the LDS Church, for a time...and when he left, he took the Book of Mormon with him. He believes the book is inspired, if I am remembering correctly. I know he is also a charismatic.

He does not have a congregation- he sees himself more as an traveling evangelist type preacher.

I think he ministers a lot to the LDS Community of Christ.

I know Lynn personally...

* Just like the Bible, He believes the Book of Mormon be be exactly what it says it is- a record of real people who really lived.

* My understanding is he did receive baptism at the hands of a LDS Priesthood holder, though he was never really active in the LDS church- and that wasn't too many years ago. He had a testimony of the Book of Mormon long before this event. He was actually introduced to the Book of Mormon through more fundamental Community of Christ people.

~Removed- It seems I jumped the gun in responding to "theplains" in assuming he/she was LDS~

I would like to read his books The Kirtland Temple and the Second Pentecost, The Shekinah Glory, and The Baptist Version of the Book of Mormon.

The Shekinah Glory is good- he gave me a copy when I visited with him a couple months back.

He was actually introduced to the Book of Mormon through more fundamental Community of Christ people.

Ah, yes. I knew he had involvement with, and even worshiped with, Community of Christ people.

I'm glad to hear he is doing well and still "building bridges", as he liked to say.

• 4 months later...

A few years back I had an opportunity to dialogue with Mr. Ridenhour on the old CoC discussion board. Over the course of about a year or so...I learned a few things about him. I learned from him that he had joined the LDS church here in Indep. Mo. I learned from him that he had voluntarily resigned his membership in the LDS church because of some "differences" that had developed between his leaders and his desire to "reach out" to members of the LDS church to recruit them if you will into his "bridge building" apparatus. I learned from him that he never had been converted to the faith claims of the LDS church. Why he still chose to join and then voluntarily separate himself later when things didn't pan out as he hoped they would as far as his "bridge building" enterprise was concerned...I will leave that up to the individual.

Mr. Ridenhour is a good man, but he also has his own agenda. Bottom line...nothing is ever as cut and dried as what they may appear to be. Buyer beware!

I was able to go Saturday night for Bro. Bob's talk. It was really good as he expounded on our unique understanding of the Atonement of believers in the Book of Mormon.

Due to previous obligations with our District summer preaching series, I wasn't able to attend Sunday for Lynn's talk.

Sidenote: I don't agree with everything Lynn believes or teaches, but I try to cooperate where I can as far as bringing fellow believers in the Book of Mormon together into closer bonds of friendship and fellowship. We can do far worse then socialize together and rejoice in those things we have in common in our heritage.

I hope this isn't against board guidelines- I apologize if it is. I just think this is really neat.

Dr. Robert Millet and Dr. Lynn Ridnehour are planning an evening of coming together to celebrate their common belief in the Book of Mormon and Jesus.

Dr. Millet is LDS and a professor at BYU.

Dr. Ridenhour is an ordained Southern Baptist preacher who believes in the Book of Mormon. He recently gave a presentation to the faculty at BYU that was warmly recieved.

This will be in Independence on June 7th & 8th.

If you can make plans to be there, that would be great!

You can find Lynn's "flyer" by following the link on my signature.

God Bless!

I worship The son of Elohiem...is there any others.

I was able to go Saturday night for Bro. Bob's talk. It was really good as he expounded on our unique understanding of the Atonement of believers in the Book of Mormon.

Due to previous obligations with our District summer preaching series, I wasn't able to attend Sunday for Lynn's talk.

Sidenote: I don't agree with everything Lynn believes or teaches, but I try to cooperate where I can as far as bringing fellow believers in the Book of Mormon together into closer bonds of friendship and fellowship. We can do far worse then socialize together and rejoice in those things we have in common in our heritage.

I understand where you're coming from on this, however it's always a red flag when someone purposely misleads someone (LDS Missionaries) into thinking they're sincere in their testimony of the church and desire to be baptized, when in fact...all the person was desireous of was gaining access to the LDS membership to further his personal agenda. As soon as his leaders realized what his intent was, that was when Mr. Ridenhour decided it was time to resign his membership. That is the issue I have with Mr. Ridenhour.

I understand where you're coming from on this, however it's always a red flag when someone purposely misleads someone (LDS Missionaries) into thinking they're sincere in their testimony of the church and desire to be baptized, when in fact...all the person was desireous of was gaining access to the LDS membership to further his personal agenda. As soon as his leaders realized what his intent was, that was when Mr. Ridenhour decided it was time to resign his membership. That is the issue I have with Mr. Ridenhour.

I understand. But I can't let that deter me from trying to build bridges between Saints.

Archived