Seriously No Politics ×

Please Explain Green Jello And Carrots?

So, in my childhood, I can remember having had green jello with carrots, and orange jello with orange rind and banana, I think. So, the other day I was going to a dinner at some friends house, and was talking about the event with a Sister. I mentioned that I was taking green jello with carrots. She said, "Oh, Khadijah you can not possibly do that, it is a dirty trick"!

So, is there LDS cultural significance with green jello and carrots? :)

So, in my childhood, I can remember having had green jello with carrots, and orange jello with orange rind and banana, I think. So, the other day I was going to a dinner at some friends house, and was talking about the event with a Sister. I mentioned that I was taking green jello with carrots. She said, "Oh, Khadijah you can not possibly do that, it is a dirty trick"!

Violation of sound doctrine. Yuk!

Hello EllenM...

Green jello is sort of a joke... because LDS sometimes have large families and need an inexpensive dessert, jello was always a good choice... also for taking to potlucks at Church, etc. So it was kidded about, that LDS thought of jello as one of the basic food groups, particularly green jello with carrots (which makes it healthier). Anyway, it became a good natured joke...

The other thing is "funeral potatoes" also for the same reasons. But we take them more seriously because they are very good and always popular to serve a large group of people, hence, potlucks as well as funerals.

The longer you are LDS you will pick up on certain cultural things, as well as terminology and the way we say various things. For instance, my inactive, very conservative sister used to listen to Glenn Beck's radio program. There were certain terms and phrases he used that caused her to wonder if he was possibly LDS (at that time he had not come forth about his particular faith). Sure enough it turned out he was LDS, but she suspected that early on because of his terminology...

There's also a "look" about LDS, the way we dress (modestly).

Green jello is just a part of this "culture."

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I hate Jello and chocolate. Those 2 were always at potlucks! Yuck!!

Okay...what the hell!?! Why salt on watermelon? I mean...is watermelon that bad on its own?

Hello EllenM...

Green jello is sort of a joke... because LDS sometimes have large families and need an inexpensive dessert, jello was always a good choice... also for taking to potlucks at Church, etc. So it was kidded about, that LDS thought of jello as one of the basic food groups, particularly green jello with carrots (which makes it healthier). Anyway, it became a good natured joke...

The other thing is "funeral potatoes" also for the same reasons. But we take them more seriously because they are very good and always popular to serve a large group of people, hence, potlucks as well as funerals.

The longer you are LDS you will pick up on certain cultural things, as well as terminology and the way we say various things. For instance, my inactive, very conservative sister used to listen to Glenn Beck's radio program. There were certain terms and phrases he used that caused her to wonder if he was possibly LDS (at that time he had not come forth about his particular faith). Sure enough it turned out he was LDS, but she suspected that early on because of his terminology...

There's also a "look" about LDS, the way we dress (modestly).

Green jello is just a part of this "culture."

GG

LOL, that is so cute! I never liked Glen Beck. I don't know much of what he said, but he yelled. As far as I am concerned if a male yells at me, he is dead to me. He also made rediculous blanket statements about Muslims.

So far, no LDS man has yelled at me, though a couple have sternly admonished me to um behave. :)

Okay...what the hell!?! Why salt on watermelon? I mean...is watermelon that bad on its own?

I love Watermellon, I love Watermellon. Somehow over the years, it has begun to upset my stomach, but I still eat some anyhow.

Salt on watermelon intensifies the flavour. I picked it up in CA, my Utahn husband is mystified by my behaviour. Edited by calmoriah

I do this with cantaloupe too.

I am going to freak you all out with this, but I love lemons, and my favorite drink (besides Pepsi and Monster Assault, that is) is strong lemonade with SALT, not sugar. In fact, the lemonade must be made with fresh-squeezed lemons (at least two large lemons per 24 oz water), and it must be WARM. Not iced. Yumm!

I also love eating Genuine Dill Pickles and drinking the juice it comes in <== writing that just made my saliva glands squirt into my mouth. Wait... I am now going to get a pickle from MY pickle jar. ....

OK, I'm back. Wow, that's good.

Watermelon is quite good on its own. The question might be asked why salt on anything? Most food is quite good without salt but sometimes one just wants their food salted. By the way watermelon is good salted. That salty sweet taste is good.

Watermelon is quite good on its own. The question might be asked why salt on anything? Most food is quite good without salt but sometimes one just wants their food salted. By the way watermelon is good salted. That salty sweet taste is good.

I used to salt watermelon, eggs, food in general, etc., but as I got older and was dealing with high blood pressure I had to start limiting salt intake... hence, I got used to the natural flavor of foods. It took a while but now I rarely salt anything because the natural flavors are wonderful and the salt alters that...

GG

Everyone, you're missing the big flavour adder: Tajín. A mixture of dried chili, salt and lime. It goes great on ANY fruit. I put it on apples all the time. I picked the habit up from the Mexicans in Arizona.

Oh, and Valentius? The best watermelons/cantaloupe/honey dew I have EVER tasted came right from my first area, near your hometown, in Aguila, AZ.

Everyone, you're missing the big flavour adder: Tajín. A mixture of dried chili, salt and lime. It goes great on ANY fruit. I put it on apples all the time. I picked the habit up from the Mexicans in Arizona.

Oh, and Valentius? The best watermelons/cantaloupe/honey dew I have EVER tasted came right from my first area, near your hometown, in Aguila, AZ.

Oh yeah! They have some of the best...good call!

I used to salt watermelon, eggs, food in general, etc., but as I got older and was dealing with high blood pressure I had to start limiting salt intake... hence, I got used to the natural flavor of foods. It took a while but now I rarely salt anything because the natural flavors are wonderful and the salt alters that...

GG

I know of what you speak. However there are some things and some times I need to sprinkle a little salt.

I know of what you speak. However there are some things and some times I need to sprinkle a little salt.

Me too... occasionally eggs, even then sparingly...

GG