Smart Mormons

Nathair/|\

A nice idea but it doesn't square up with the churches involvement in such things as liquor laws in Utah or it's involvement in Prop 8. If this article was accurate, the church would be much more liberitarian in it's political views and allow people to make their own choices rather than pushing members to pass laws to use the state to make those choices for them.

A nice idea but it doesn't square up with the churches involvement in such things as liquor laws in Utah or it's involvement in Prop 8. If this article was accurate, the church would be much more liberitarian in it's political views and allow people to make their own choices rather than pushing members to pass laws to use the state to make those choices for them.

I disagree. It is not just about having the freedom to choose, but it is also about not protecting people from the natural consequences of their decisions, which certain laws or attempts to put into law in fact do, imo.

Re. Prop 8: it is one thing for the state to allow you to make your own choice; it is quite another to demand that the state approve and subsidize your choice. Demanding that the state subsidize and otherwise give its official sanction to a private relationship between two consenting adults does not sound very libertarian to me.

Re. Prop 8: it is one thing for the state to allow you to make your own choice; it is quite another to demand that the state approve and subsidize your choice. Demanding that the state subsidize and otherwise give its official sanction to a private relationship between two consenting adults does not sound very libertarian to me.

It's not. The "less government" position would be to prevent the government from regulating same sex relationships.

Does the author do a good job of explaining free agency and related doctrines and their implications in our lives?

Not very detailed as to the implications but because of this statement...

They could choose for themselves whether to live righteously and take advantage of the Atonement or whether to live in sin and forfeit the opportunity to return and live with God

...the author is probably on the right track. There are two main views on liberty and equality in the world. LDS doctrine is completely and absolutely on the side of one and absolutely and completely opposed to the other.

It's not. The "less government" position would be to prevent the government from regulating same sex relationships.

Or recognizing and benefiting them.

I think he did a pretty good job of summing up LDS teachings. The fact is, Latter-day Saints disagree among themselves how these ideas apply in the political sphere. I think the Church teaches general principles, and then lets us use our brains to apply them in real life as we see fit (i.e. govern ourselves).

Not surprisingly, the concept of pre-existence suggests reincarnation to me -- a notion that our consciounesses have existed before our physical bodies, and although we may not remember the details of past existence, they provide us with a subconscious method to deal with our present. I know it is not interpreted that way by the church, but as I have said before, there are a number of aspects about Mormonism that seem similar to Eastern religious thought.

I disagree. It is not just about having the freedom to choose, but it is also about not protecting people from the natural consequences of their decisions, which certain laws or attempts to put into law in fact do, imo.

I am trying to figure out what you mean. Could you explain it a bit better?

Archived