Medical Anthropology

halconero

Hi there everyone! I wasn't sure if the General Discussion board was limited to Gospel talk, so I decided to put this here.

I'm currently attending the University of Toronto, and I've recently begun a double major: Medical Anthropology/History of Religion.

I recently got accepted into this awesome medical anthropology seminar: There are just 10 students, our professor being a Rhodes Scholar from Oxford, in a room that looks like something straight out of Hogwarts (in Trinity college we even have to wear robes to dinner).

Anyways, getting to the main point. Medical anthropology is the study of how human culture influences, and is influenced by medical practices/beliefs around health.

Topics could range from biomedicine to witch doctors in Africa to LDS priesthood blessings and the Word of Wisdom to whatever-health-practice-you-can-think-of.

I'm doing some reading tonight, and will finish pretty soon, and I was wondering if anybody would be interested in hearing about the current topic?:

The Problem with "Belief" in Medicine. A discussion on how our "Knowledge" in the Biomedicine can blind us to other cultures' "Belief" in their Health Practices.

• 2 weeks later...

My first post is coming tomorrow or Friday! Sorry, I realized only later that trying to formulate a well thought-out post would be difficult to do in the midst of a whirlwind trip to Utah for the wedding of one of my companions.

Also, Valentius, I decided on Medical Anthropology because I've developed an interest in the political/cultural/sociological reasons behind suffering, illness and humanitarianism. To often we are quick to throw money at a good cause without questioning that cause, the political interests behind it, the power relationships those causes form. We also can ignore some great medical practices simply on a cultural basis. I guess, deep down, that I have a desire to help relieve suffering...but not in a haphazard way that may end up causing harm. Instead, I want a planned response to it, one that will result in a more permanent good.

My first post is coming tomorrow or Friday! Sorry, I realized only later that trying to formulate a well thought-out post would be difficult to do in the midst of a whirlwind trip to Utah for the wedding of one of my companions.

Also, Valentius, I decided on Medical Anthropology because I've developed an interest in the political/cultural/sociological reasons behind suffering, illness and humanitarianism. To often we are quick to throw money at a good cause without questioning that cause, the political interests behind it, the power relationships those causes form. We also can ignore some great medical practices simply on a cultural basis. I guess, deep down, that I have a desire to help relieve suffering...but not in a haphazard way that may end up causing harm. Instead, I want a planned response to it, one that will result in a more permanent good.

Love the motivation as I totally agree as to the problems with money creating more problems at times than it is 'curing' as well as the cultural biases of some medical practices (I belong to a elist of individuals who suffer from a certain neurological movement disorder and there are sufferers from all over the globe on it and I am very grateful I live in the US most of the time as so many are suffering needlessly because of the attitude of the medical establishment of their country, including political influences); I hope you will be successful in your goals.

That's awesome, Halconero. I like that you think things, that are this important, out so well.

So interesting! I'd be interested in what you're learning. I believe there is a big LDS following of herbs and essential oils, my MIL & FIL are big into this.

My sincere condolences. Essential oils, in particular are a big issue here in UT, and almost always connected with MultiLevel Marketing schemes, which I detest. So many are lured by the prospects of supplemental income for part time work, when only about .05% actually make more then they spend.

My sincere condolences. Essential oils, in particular are a big issue here in UT, and almost always connected with MultiLevel Marketing schemes, which I detest. So many are lured by the prospects of supplemental income for part time work, when only about .05% actually make more then they spend.

I dunno, I'm into herbs and essential oils, yet avoid MLMs like the plague.

I dunno, I'm into herbs and essential oils, yet avoid MLMs like the plague.

Thankfully there are a number of excellent health stores that you can get such at.

There are a lot of MLMs around though that deal in these and other supplements. Some of their products are very good and I would love to buy them but the prices are ridiculous. Most people I know that are involved in MLMs around here are simply so they can get the products cheaper and don't try to make money off of them.