Relocate For Health Reasons.

EllenMaksoud

Just had a very severe Asthma attack early this morning and thankfully, my inhalers were close. One of these is going to kill me; they are getting much worse.

So, I live in Portland, Or, one of the wettest, soggiest, moldiest places you can think of. Seattle is wet, but they get maritime winds to flush it out. Portland is in a sort of basin. So, I had thought of moving to the Salt Lake area to get warm, but after being there once, I suppose not. Besides, I guess that copper mine has more or less copper plated the whole area. So then I have thought of Southern Utah, or northern Arizona. Actually, perhaps snow and things would be OK, it is just the mold spores and polutants in the air. Am I getting any of this right?

I'm an Old and retired so I can live anywhere the cost of living is not crazy.

A friend of mine died of an asthma attack last year and that was in Seattle. :( She was hospitalized usually once a month and years before that, her doctor had told her St. George, Utah was the best place for her particular situation. She wasn't sure if she would fit in there, so she didn't move. Good luck to you!

St. George is a beautiful place, I'd love a winter place there when I'm 55, they have some of the coolest little retirement communities. Some have nice manufactured homes that are very inexpensive, that have sliding glass doors and decks etc. Also, the clubhouse has a pool, jacuzzi etc. The one I'm considering has a monthly fee of only $55.00!! I haven't checked out the air quality for asthma sufferers though. But it can't help but be good. Beware though it can be hot, hot in the summers. But there is a great mountain area named Pine Valley that I think people go to get out of the heat.

http://www.st-george...s.html#MobileRV

http://www.flexmls.c...i=roilv33ehbc,6

ETA: Alot of LDS live in St. George, and you have a temple nearby, just a few miles away.

Edited by Tacenda

Hello EllenMaksoud...

How interesting... I live on the Oregon coast... served as a temple worker for six years in the Portland Temple...

My husband suffered for years from asthma in So Cal... different things would set it off, but mainly the air pollution. I nearly lost him one night... then we moved to the San Fran Bay Area and his asthma lessened until he actually was well. We retired here to the OR coast and the dampness did not bother his asthma...

One thing about St George... true it is lovely, but a consideration would be the necessity to shovel snow in winter, and the very hot summers. I'd live there except for the heat. I like the more temperate climate of our coast... I do get weary of the grayness and lengthy rains at times without a break. But then we have several glorious days of sun and we remember why we live here. Do you think you could live on the coast vs Portland?

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

Hello EllenMaksoud...

How interesting... I live on the Oregon coast... served as a temple worker for six years in the Portland Temple...

My husband suffered for years from asthma in So Cal... different things would set it off, but mainly the air pollution. I nearly lost him one night... then we moved to the San Fran Bay Area and his asthma lessened until he actually was well. We retired here to the OR coast and the dampness did not bother his asthma...

One thing about St George... true it is lovely, but a consideration would be the necessity to shovel snow in winter, and the very hot summers. I'd live there except for the heat. I like the more temperate climate of our coast... I do get weary of the grayness and lengthy rains at times without a break. But then we have several glorious days of sun and we remember why we live here. Do you think you could live on the coast vs Portland?

GG

I didn't think it snowed much there, if at all. It dips so low that it's about like Las Vegas weather. I've visited often and lived there for 6 months in my youth.

I think it depends on what sets off your asthma. With my friend, she had issues with lots of plants, mold, etc. Supposedly St. George doesn't have as many allergens as other places.

Hello EllenMaksoud...

GG

I've been living in Olympia, Washington for many years now (longest time in one place since I was born), my brother and sis-in-law live in fhe Portland, Or, area. (Maybe across the street from you, Ellen! Or maybe not. :D ). They live in Wood Village, near Gresham.

In any case, for you, GG, Ellen, my bro and myself, the concern is earthquakes. The PNW is so beautiful, and we love it here, but a cursory study of the geological situation worries me. Over the last 3500 years or so we have had a major (9.0+) earthquake roughly every 430 years on average, with a range of recurrences being from 210-910 years. The last one was in January 1700. In short, we are due for the next one. I suggest a reading of the Wikipedia article about the Cascadia Subduction Zone.

St. George, UT, seems like a good choice!

GG, do you have your hip-waders ready for the tsunami?

GG, do you have your hip-waders ready for the tsunami?

Would you believe I've already had to be evacuated once because of tsunami warning... because of one of the major Japan quakes, but by time it did reach our shores it wasn't even as bad as some of our regular storm waves...

Yes, I do get a little nervous when I think of the geological plates off of our coast... supposed to be a major shift sometime in the near future. I used to kid some of my Utah friends that they would end up with oceanfront property... yikes!!

GG