Seriously No Politics ×

Gallup 2012 Us Religion Daily Tracking Poll Results

Okrahomer

http://www.gallup.com/poll/159785/rise-religious-nones-slows-2012.aspx#1

The 2012 numbers reveal some interesting trends:

1. Mormon self-identification has been trending up—now at 2.1% of the adult US population.
  2. The rate of increase of the “Nones” (those identifying with no religion) seems to be slowing.
  3. Protestant self-identification is on a definite downward trend.
  4. Catholic self-identification is also decreasing—slightly.
  5. Muslim self-identification is stable.

That percentage increase must've have come from the "I'm a mormon campaign." Literally...I don't mean the converts resulting from it...just the ads alone...

That hadn't occurred to me; however, the "bump" from 2011 to 2012 does seem to suggest something interesting has happened...or is happening.

That hadn't occurred to me; however, the "bump" from 2011 to 2012 does seem to suggest something interesting has happened...or is happening.

It was more of a joke...the poll is based on people self identifying as mormon...and that is what the campaign played over and over again.

As a research nerd I had to go and significance test it. On an annual base of 350,000 a difference of 1.9% in 2011 and 2.1% in 2012 is certainly significantly different.

We can say with 99.9% certainty that this is a genuine difference and not a 'sampling effect.'

As a research nerd I had to go and significance test it. On an annual base of 350,000 a difference of 1.9% in 2011 and 2.1% in 2012 is certainly significantly different.

We can say with 99.9% certainty that this is a genuine difference and not a 'sampling effect.'

Thanks for that. Would the changes reported between 2008 (1.7%) to 2012 (2.1%) also represent a legitimate "trend"?

Thanks for that. Would the changes reported between 2008 (1.7%) to 2012 (2.1%) also represent a legitimate "trend"?

Maybe (just a shot in the dark here), a higher percentage of inactives are choosing to re-identify with their LDS heritage? Certainly baptisms and births can't account for all of it. And I don't think that declaring oneself to be Mormon without being baptized has attained any level of chic trendyness.

Who else are you planning on including in your second inquisition?

To be completely unexpected. That and to make my chief weapons surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again.

Did somebody say this already? That the statistical bump had something to do with Romney's candidacy? It would seem possible, anyway, to me.

Did somebody say this already? That the statistical bump had something to do with Romney's candidacy? It would seem possible, anyway, to me.

It had been suggested (in jest) that the "bump" was due to the "I'm a Mormon campaign", but the Romney candidacy had not been mentioned. I don't remember enough about the science of Statistics to to be very helpful; however, it sure looks like the "trend since 2008 is moving in a positive direction for the Church.

On the other hand, this may all simply be the result of our friend Nehor's neo-Inquisition. :)

Nope, just the occasional hotdog or marshmellow.

And here I thought from all the stories I've heard about scout camps that finding 'unusual' or perhaps not unusual enough items to burn was one of the major after dinner occupations.

And here I thought from all the stories I've heard about scout camps that finding 'unusual' or perhaps not unusual enough items to burn was one of the major after dinner occupations.

Oh , you mean tents and jeans and boots and such. I forgot about them. Those were supposed to be "accidents " not intentional campfire cookery.

Archived