Seriously No Politics ×

News

Thanks for sharing your news with us. I am so glad that you felt loved and supported today. Congratulations !

Edited by followerofemmanuel

This morning, during Holy Eucharist, I was baptized into the Episcopal church.

Well...if you were going to be baptized into another church at least it was the American descendent of the good ole Church of England. Maybe you can do something about slowly integrating yourselves back into British North America?

All said tongue in cheek, of course.

Congrats Valentius :)

Well...if you were going to be baptized into another church at least it was the American descendent of the good ole Church of England. Maybe you can do something about slowly integrating yourselves back into British North America?

All said tongue in cheek, of course.

Congrats Valentius :)

I know you're an Anglican at heart...its only natural since you're Canadian.

These are the publicly asked questions that make up the first half of the celebration:

1) Do you renounce Satan and all the spiritual forces of wickedness that rebel against God?

2) Do you renounce the evil powers of this world which corrupt and destroy the creatures of God?

3) do you renounce all sinful desires that draw you from the love of God?

4) Do you turn to Jesus Christ and accept him as your Savior?

5) Do you put your whole trust in his grace and love?

6) Do you promise to follow and obey him as your Lord?

The Baptismal Covenant:

A) Do you believe in God the Father?

--I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.

B) Do you believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of God?

--I believe in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord.

He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit

and born of the Virgin Mary.

He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried.

He descending to the dead.

He ascended into heaven,

and is seated at the right hand of the Father.

He will come again to judge the living and the dead.

C) Do you believe in God the Holy Spirit?

--I believe in the Holy Spirit,

the holy catholic church,

the communion of saints,

the forgiveness of sins,

the resurrection of the body,

and the life everlasting.

Book of Common Prayer, pp. 301-304

Just out of curiosity, how'd you go from atheist to Episcopalian?

Honestly, I've never seen someone switch belief structures in such rapid succession. I'm sure it's happened before, it's just astounding to kinda watch from a fairly big distance.

Anyways, take care.

With luv,

BD

Perhaps you've seen this. I've posted it here before. However, for your consideration and convenience:

http://www.greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/toward-interreligious-oneness/

Likewise, I have also posted this here before, but I'll repost it for your consideration and convenience. Here is the "money quote":

If you are an honest, upright, decent, moral, caring human being who happens to derive your morality from a source other than religion, more power to you. Likewise, if you possess those traits and you derive your morality from a religion which differs from mine, more power to you.

And here is a link to the article in its entirety: http://www.tooeletranscript.com/view/full_story/21179443/article-Religion-and-culture-are-inseparable-%E2%80%94--no-matter-your-beliefs-or-lack-thereof.

Best wishes to you for continued happiness on your faith journey. :)

Honestly, I've never seen someone switch belief structures in such rapid succession. I'm sure it's happened before, it's just astounding to kinda watch from a fairly big distance.

Anyways, take care.

With luv,

BD

The question is even quite troublesome to me as well. I watched a sermon that shattered my atheistic worldview. The pastor who gave the sermon stated that the good and moral life that atheists do live assumes the Christian worldview. This was absolutely the most influential statement that has ever annihilated any argument I could have against God. In and of itself, it proposed a logical and rational mindset that doesn't seek to prove God's existence but to give God the benefit of the doubt and to trust Him, trust His Son and to trust Resurrection. I did not believe, with his statement in mind, that I could not respond accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Perhaps you've seen this. I've posted it here before. However, for your consideration and convenience:

http://www.greatgourdini.wordpress.com/2012/04/16/toward-interreligious-oneness/

Likewise, I have also posted this here before, but I'll repost it for your consideration and convenience. Here is the "money quote":

And here is a link to the article in its entirety: http://www.tooeletranscript.com/view/full_story/21179443/article-Religion-and-culture-are-inseparable-%E2%80%94--no-matter-your-beliefs-or-lack-thereof.

Best wishes to you for continued happiness on your faith journey. :)

Both links were wonderful. Thanks for sharing, Ken.

The question is even quite troublesome to me as well. I watched a sermon that shattered my atheistic worldview. The pastor who gave the sermon stated that the good and moral life that atheists do live assumes the Christian worldview. This was absolutely the most influential statement that has ever annihilated any argument I could have against God. In and of itself, it proposed a logical and rational mindset that doesn't seek to prove God's existence but to give God the benefit of the doubt and to trust Him, trust His Son and to trust Resurrection. I did not believe, with his statement in mind, that I could not respond accordingly.

I hope this helps.

Bravo.

Both links were wonderful. Thanks for sharing, Ken.

You're quite welcome. :) I'm glad you enjoyed them.

Anyways, take care.

With luv,

BD

Paul and Alma the Younger were even quicker, but they managed it only twice. ;)

I hope this helps.

Is this it or along these lines?

The existence of moral obligation and moral indignation cannot be made intelligible alienated from the existence of the Christian God. An objective morality presupposes God as the founder of that law of good. In the Christian worldview, the moral law is an idea within the divine reason of the eternal God, an idea that behavior that best affects the happiness of being is morally obligatory. This moral law, summed up in love, is the standard by which God voluntarily governs Himself and impresses as obligatory upon the minds of those sentient beings He has created.

The atheist who defends the myth of relative morality proposes his version of moral obligation just as vigorous as does the Christian theist proposes his. "No one has a right to force his moral code on others." "Every one has the right to freedom of thought and opinion." "Tolerance of alternative lifestyles is virtuous." "The Catholic priests are wrong to molest little boys." "Christian churches were wrong to defend slavery in the American colonies." "Criminals shouldn't be punished, but treated with compassion." "Women should have the right to choose to get an abortion." "People shouldn't kill abortionists." "Society should care for the poor." "No one should discriminate against another because of his sex, race, or sexual orientation." The moral commandments of the atheists go on and on, and don't you think for a moment that they are any less dogmatic about their moral code than the Christian theist is about the Bible's.

You can give your opinion as to how you think men should live, Mr. Atheist, but that's all it is, consistent with your worldview, it's your opinion. The question is, WHY should men live as you say? Because of pragmatic concerns? Because it'll go better for them in this life if they do? Well, what if they disagree? Is it thereafter good for them to do as they wish without regard to their fellow man because, after all, there is no such thing as right and wrong, there is no future day of reckoning, and they think it's better for them in this life to do as they please rather than as you please? All you can do, atheist, is disagree, but you cannot, consistent with your worldview, have moral confidence in condemning immoral behavior. Atheists, to condemn immorality, must borrow the worldview they reject, the Christian worldview, without which moral indignation makes no sense.

http://rightremedy.org/booklets/47

Good reasoning there. Also, Dr. Johnston should be LDS with all the, kids. ; > ). Nice looking bunch too.

Edited by Darren10