Canard As In Duck (Not Doubt). And Can I Change It?

canard78

I've just had an interesting lesson in the power of the language we use (sometimes unknowingly).

Over on the middle way thread Dan and wayfarer continue their exchange and wayfarer said:

"By continuing the raise this canard, you're demonstrating what I have been saying"

To which I nearly replied "what are you bringing me into it for?" - then googled the definition just in case.

Turns out I may have been sending the wrong message about myself to those with a broad vocabulary. (I had wondered why Prof Midgley appeared a little suspicious of my name in the thread about his article).

I chose Canard (as in the animal) because it was a nickname on my (French-speaking) mission. I only discovered that webster defines it thus:

a : a false or unfounded report or story; especially : a fabricated report

b : a groundless rumor or belief

I'm chuckling that some of you better-read folks (and I'm sure there are plenty given we're surrounded by scholars here) have presumed from the start that my name was a reflection of my doubts about the church.

I have doubts... I just didn't mean to imply as much with my name.

If I ever wanted to change my forum name, is that possible?

You can change it, you just have to ask the mods to do it. I would send in a report on your own post when you figure out which one you want as the easiest way to contact them...or in the "hot button thread".

Funny. Okay, so you're changing your name. How about we start calling you GroundlessRumor78? Heh.

Edited by 3DOP

Well, the dictionary gives us many choices:

Main Entry: falsity Part of Speech: noun Definition: dishonesty, deception Synonyms: canard , cheating, deceit, deceptiveness,disingenuousness, double-dealing, duplicity,erroneousness, error, faithlessness, fake,fallacy, falsehood, fib, fraud, fraudulence,hypocrisy, inaccuracy, infidelity, insincerity,lie, mendacity, misrepresentation,perfidiousness, perfidy, prevarication, sham,story, tale, treachery, uncandidness,unfaithfulness, unreality, untruth

Sham isn't bad, short and sweet and has a biblical feel to it. ;)

Edited by calmoriah