Seriously No Politics ×

Teachers Bringing Treats For Their Class On A Weekly Basis

Tacenda

As I cleaned out the pockets of my 15 yr. olds Sunday pants, & pulled out candy wrappers, a weekly occurence, or whenever I wash the pants, it made me think back to the problem at hand. That of giving treats on Sunday to get the kids to listen. Or adults, I attended a Marriage class with my husband where we'd get a treat each week. Am I being a downer if I disagree? Shouldn't children or adults for that matter, want to be good and listen for no other reason but that it's the right thing to do. Not for a reward? Besides we are told constantly not to bring treats for the class, but no one listens. My ward is terrible despite being alot of fun and generous too. But it's setting a precedent for all the teacher's that come after because the kids expect it now. My 20 yr. old son taught the 11-12 yr. olds and he had to bring a treat or else!

Is this a problem in any of your wards?

Edited by Tacenda

As I cleaned out the pockets of my 15 yr. olds Sunday pants, & pulled out candy wrappers, a weekly occurence, or whenever I wash the pants, it made me think back to the problem at hand. That of giving treats on Sunday to get the kids to listen. Or adults, I attended a Marriage class with my husband where we'd get a treat each week. Am I being a downer if I disagree? Shouldn't children or adults for that matter, want to be good and listen for no other reason but that it's the right thing to do. Not for a reward? Besides we are told constantly not to bring treats for the class, but no one listens. My ward is terrible despite being alot of fun and generous too. But it's setting a precedent for all the teacher's that come after because the kids expect it now. My 20 yr. old son taught the 11-12 yr. olds and he had to bring a treat or else!

You have a good point. I agree with you.

I've never been in a ward where we were told not to provide treats for classes, but i'm with you on not liking the idea of bribing kids (or adults) to pay attention. I don't think there's anything wrong with treats once in a while but every week seems excessive and kind of insulting in a way.

if it's a once in a while thing then go for it. There is a lady in the other ward that meets in our building who every sunday hands out treats to the kids before and after church and parents have complained about her and to her but she keeps doing it. She is one of those people that has a short fuse so no one wants to be around when she explodes so she gets away with it.

Yes treats should be limited, if not eliminated all together. I went to a recent training for Primary with the general Primary presidency. They stated that the Primary teachers in the Church use treats too often, and they encouraged to eliminate treats. Granted, your OP is about the older youth, but I think it is a problem and it begins in Primary.

I had a sunday school teacher when i was 12 who would take the entire class to the grocery market each sunday so we could pick out our own donuts-fast sunday included!

I do think the kids will think back and remember this!!! And their treats, I'm no fun.

Yes treats should be limited, if not eliminated all together. I went to a recent training for Primary with the general Primary presidency. They stated that the Primary teachers in the Church use treats too often, and they encouraged to eliminate treats. Granted, your OP is about the older youth, but I think it is a problem and it begins in Primary.

Nursery should have treats every Sunday but every class shouldn't be treated like a nursery class.

I no, I meant all ages! I've taught primary for the majority of my callings...

Our church builds in time for a healthy snack break during Sunday school just to break up the time and allow kids to have a break to refocus or as a transitional time between activities. Food is not used as a reward, rather snack time is included as part of the group fellowship time. It seems to work well for us as long as the snacks are mostly healthy. The odd treat Sunday happens but parents prefer the healthy snack break.

I should add that our service runs from 10am - 11:45 am so it kind of falls between breakfast and lunch. Maybe that's another reason snacks are appreciated. By the time parents get the family together to leave it is often 12:15 so it helpful to have a bit of fruit or veggies to tied the children/youth over.

Edited by followerofemmanuel

Our church builds in time for a healthy snack break during Sunday school just to break up the time and allow kids to have a break to refocus or as a transitional time between activities. Food is not used as a reward, rather snack time is included as part of the group fellowship time. It seems to work well for us as long as the snacks are mostly healthy. The odd treat Sunday happens but parents prefer the healthy snack break.

Wow, this would be a great time to socialize with the ward members too! I can't believe you've been allowed to do this. I would think it would have to be ok'd first. In GD yesterday they mentioned how the church needs to stay the same throughout. But it would be so nice to have something like this!!! I remember when we had a time right after SM where we would practice singing hymns. But this was eliminated. I vote this to be put into place. Is there a way to get it going? How did your ward? Too many questions sorry, I just can't get over how cool it would be!!!

Wow, this would be a great time to socialize with the ward members too! I can't believe you've been allowed to do this. I would think it would have to be ok'd first. In GD yesterday they mentioned how the church needs to stay the same throughout. But it would be so nice to have something like this!!! I remember when we had a time right after SM where we would practice singing hymns. But this was eliminated. I vote this to be put into place. Is there a way to get it going? How did your ward? Too many questions sorry, I just can't get over how cool it would be!!!

FoE isn't LDS, if i remember correctly.

Many LDS wards have a meal after the block of meetings is over (i've been to three that did such-usually called it something like 'munch and mingle' or the like). It's just a potluck thing and only works when you are the last ward to meet in the building but it is a fun time to socialize with each other.

Many LDS wards have a meal after the block of meetings is over (i've been to three that did such-usually called it something like 'munch and mingle' or the like). It's just a potluck thing and only works when you are the last ward to meet in the building but it is a fun time to socialize with each other.

Correct, just Christian :) I just thought another perspective might be helpful.

:good:

It's not really a problem here but it happens, but I agree it shouldn't.

One solution is to start giving healthy snacks like maybe fruit or little cups of trail mix or nuts, dried fruit, etc.

I did that with a group which expected snacks, and every week fewer and fewer took the healthy snacks. Then occasionally I would "forget" to bring them.

Pretty soon none were expected! I was seen as a "health nut" but I can think of worse things!

I should add that our service runs from 10am - 11:45 am so it kind of falls between breakfast and lunch. Maybe that's another reason snacks are appreciated. By the time parents get the family together to leave it is often 12:15 so it helpful to have a bit of fruit or veggies to tied the children/youth over.

Oh my! They can't go without food for an hour and a half?

In our church for example, my personal meetings, which I attend due to my callings, usually run about 6 hours and everyone's meetings last at least 3 hours.

This can work if it is kept simple, but that itself becomes a task.

What happens is that it tends to become more elaborate every time. We tried it with everyone bringing a sack lunch so they would not have to work on Sunday to prepare an elaborate meal.

But of course then you know what happened. Somebody brought a crock pot, then another brought cold fried chicken. Then people started bringing food that needed to be heated. Tables had to be put up and taken down.

Then we had refrigeration problems- you could not leave out a casserole for 3 hours without people worrying about if it would still be good. Then people started going home to get the prepared food and bring it back so it would be fresh.

The whole thing mushroomed! Things got more and more elaborate. Pretty soon the meal was becoming more important than the meetings!

There is no reason this could not work but somehow the ground rules must be enforced without hurting people's feelings! Good luck!

It must just be that I'm in Utah. The only time I hear of this happening is with the SA wards.

Oh my! They can't go without food for an hour and a half?

In our church for example, my personal meetings, which I attend due to my callings, usually run about 6 hours and everyone's meetings last at least 3 hours.

:rofl: Yes, I am sure they can. It's just a tradition that seems to work with our kids and youth. The kids will certainly not starve. We have found the snack time especially helpful for new comer children/youth as there is a bit of "get to know each other time"built in and that helps them to feel more welcome and it helps to keep the kids engaged. It is really more about the fellowship than food but a healthy snack is pretty harmless in the spectrum of things. Wanting to learn about God and his plan for our lives should be motivation enough to learn but fostering community and fellowship are also good motivators for those who aren't completely motivated for all the right reasons. This reminds me that there is more than one approach to doing things ;)

Edited by followerofemmanuel

Everyone opposed to treats in class, I have the solution for you....contact your Primary President and Bishop and volunteer yourself to be primary teacher, then you can teach the children the gospel and how to sit still and listen.

Edited by DavidB

This can work if it is kept simple, but that itself becomes a task.

What happens is that it tends to become more elaborate every time. We tried it with everyone bringing a sack lunch so they would not have to work on Sunday to prepare an elaborate meal.

But of course then you know what happened. Somebody brought a crock pot, then another brought cold fried chicken. Then people started bringing food that needed to be heated. Tables had to be put up and taken down.

Then we had refrigeration problems- you could not leave out a casserole for 3 hours without people worrying about if it would still be good. Then people started going home to get the prepared food and bring it back so it would be fresh.

The whole thing mushroomed! Things got more and more elaborate. Pretty soon the meal was becoming more important than the meetings!

There is no reason this could not work but somehow the ground rules must be enforced without hurting people's feelings! Good luck!

Yes, this could be a problem. Just some orange slices or something would be nice. Just as a way to talk for minute. Or even bring your own snack to nibble on. I'm in it for the socializing, sorry but I just envy a little bit the other faiths that have the coffee and donut thing. But really not for the food per se.

Every opposed to treats in class, I have the solution for you....contact your Primary President and Bishop and volunteer yourself to be primary teacher, then you can teach the children the gospel and how to sit still and listen.

I've been a primary teacher and yet am still opposed to treats in class on a regular basis. It's not like everyone who thinks they aren't a good idea only does so because they've never had to try to get kids to sit still and listen.

Everyone opposed to treats in class, I have the solution for you....contact your Primary President and Bishop and volunteer yourself to be primary teacher, then you can teach the children the gospel and how to sit still and listen.

In the days before the three hour block we always fed our small kids before we went to our church meetings. By the time they were out of Nursery it was not a problem. Barring some exceptional medical problems there really is no excuse they can go for 3 hours before eating once they are past about 8 years old.