Seriously No Politics ×

Bart D Ehrman "The Lost Gospel Of Judas Iscariot"

ERayR

The Gospel of Judas, part of the Codex Tchacos, is considered to be a significant find. Essentially, the Gospel deals with private conversations between Judas and Jesus. It portrays Judas as a hero rather than as betrayer. It also has a teaching moment where Jesus scoffingly laughs at the disciples for their lack of understanding.

I believe its 3rd or 4th century and therefore a fraud. Just like most Gnostic writings. Theologically, I think its worthless.

Ehrman's book just deals with the translation process and study which included the late Marvin Meyer.

The Gospel of Judas, part of the Codex Tchacos, is considered to be a significant find. Essentially, the Gospel deals with private conversations between Judas and Jesus. It portrays Judas as a hero rather than as betrayer. It also has a teaching moment where Jesus scoffingly laughs at the disciples for their lack of understanding.

I believe its 3rd or 4th century and therefore a fraud. Just like most Gnostic writings. Theologically, I think its worthless.

Ehrman's book just deals with the translation process and study which included the late Marvin Meyer.

Thank you

If so please give me a brief review.

Thanks

Ray

There are several other Gospels which were not canonized. We have part of the Book of Mary, the book of Barnibas (which challenges the crucifiction), and in total, there are about 18 non canonical books. In my opinion, the folks who decided what books were in the bible were not trustworthy, rather being part of the apostate church.

There are several other Gospels which were not canonized. We have part of the Book of Mary, the book of Barnibas (which challenges the crucifiction), and in total, there are about 18 non canonical books. In my opinion, the folks who decided what books were in the bible were not trustworthy, rather being part of the apostate church.

Well, that's debatable, but this being the Social Hall, we will not debate it here.

Correction. Codex Tchacos is not a fraud. Dr. Jull, of University of Arizona, did the dating on it. There is obviously an older version in circulation since Irenaeus was whining about it in 180 CE. Then again, after reading Against Heresies, he did a lot of whining.

Find a copy of The Nag Hammadi Library or The Gnostic Bible and you'll see there is more than you expect.

The Early Church Fathers were not in a state of apostasy. Unfortunately, Origen was condemned by Epiphanius because of his teachings on anthropomorhism. Not that I really recognize the condemnation anyway. But I do love Origen's Contra Celsius. It's amazing and amazingly long.

Personally, the NT could have survived without the Johannine epistles (3 John is just awkward), 2 Peter, Jude and the Pastorals. I would have like to seen the Apocalypse of Peter and the Shepherd of Hermas included in the canon.