Rep. Michael Crapo

BookofMormonLuvr

I read somewhere that he's currently serving as a bishop. That seems odd, seeing as how he's a senator. Is it possible that he is not currently a bishop, but may have been one in the past?

I think he may have been one in the past. I haven't ever heard of him before but sad day, hope all the best for him and his family. Is there any penalization for doing something like this? I have no clue

I think he may have been one in the past. I haven't ever heard of him before but sad day, hope all the best for him and his family. Is there any penalization for doing something like this? I have no clue

The most reliable source on the web, wikipedia, says he was first called as a Bishop at age 31.

He could face Church discipline, but that is unlikely. He could face censure by his colleges in the Senate, but that is unlikely. His political career is in jeopardy from the voters in Idaho. He will probably face revocation of his drivers license, a stiff fine, and auto insurance rates going through the roof. Jail time is also possible but unlikely.

Just to repeat alcohol and driving don't mix.

Seems rather odd. For someone who had been a bishop at 31 you'd assume a long history of sobriety. There doesn't seem to be any indications of past history, so I'd say it's unlikely that he was at any point an alcoholic (though not impossible), which is why I think it's odd that someone at that point gets involved in drinking. An affair wouldn't surprise me (across the board I mean, not him specifically). I just see alcohol as a rather unusual temptation in the absence of a past history (which I'm not saying he can't have). Anyway, just thinking out loud. Let the flaming begin.

I just see alcohol as a rather unusual temptation in the absence of a past history (which I'm not saying he can't have). Anyway, just thinking out loud. Let the flaming begin.

Very high stress job with alcohol all around. Not surprising actually. I have seen it happen with less stressful jobs. What is shocking to me is that he went out in public after drinking (driving), but drinking does lower one's caution.

Very sad. Hopefully this will give him an opportunity to figure out what he needs in his life to balance it better as if he is this stessed out to be doing this kind of stuff, his family is suffering from the stress level as well and they need him to face it in a more practical way.

Senator, not Rep. And he blew .11 --- this isn't his first time drinking. And you can't get church discipline for word of wisdom issues --- that is in the handbook. But Idahoans don't tend to be very forgiving of those who claim membership and don't live the standards.

Seems rather odd. For someone who had been a bishop at 31 you'd assume a long history of sobriety. There doesn't seem to be any indications of past history, so I'd say it's unlikely that he was at any point an alcoholic (though not impossible), which is why I think it's odd that someone at that point gets involved in drinking. An affair wouldn't surprise me (across the board I mean, not him specifically). I just see alcohol as a rather unusual temptation in the absence of a past history (which I'm not saying he can't have). Anyway, just thinking out loud. Let the flaming begin.

It wasn't until i went to my husband's work Christmas party that i realized how much peer pressure still plays a part in what and how much adults choose to drink.

He works for a wealthy company and the party was held at a japanese steakhouse, the kind where they chef stands in the middle of a sitting area and performs while he cooks. The owner of the company had flown in to be there but otherwise it was just people from the local office (about 17 with spouses). Part of the entertainment is the chef attempting to make the people drink sake, which he squirts into their mouths from bottles. He was VERY insistent (in a joking, 'friendly' type of way) that each person at the table join in and i saw grown men and women drinking way more than they wanted to only because other adults were chanting and doing everything in their power to try to get them to do so.

I felt bad for a couple of people who clearly did not want anymore but they just did not seem capable of saying no.

I've heard that there is quite a culture of drinking in the senate (which could be gossip, i really have no way to verify). If that is the case, it wouldn't surprise me if the Senator succumbed to peer pressure and started to join in with his collegues.

He could face Church discipline, but that is unlikely. He could face censure by his colleges in the Senate, but that is unlikely. His political career is in jeopardy from the voters in Idaho. He will probably face revocation of his drivers license, a stiff fine, and auto insurance rates going through the roof. Jail time is also possible but unlikely.

Just to repeat alcohol and driving don't mix.

The Handbook specifically states that WoW violations are not cause for formal church discipline. Not that his bishop won't ask to speak to him about it.

And he won't be a serving bishop while serving in a political office. As I recall it, the policy is to release those who have been elected to public office. The office becomes in effect their church calling.

But male elected LDS still serve as home teachers.

There seems to be no history of alcohol use presented so far. But it does seem unusual to go from a presumed non-drinker to DUI in one fell swoop.

I don't see why. I haven't had a drink since age 18 (legal age in England, where we lived at the time), but I'd bet I could get sloshed in one fell swoop. Teetotalers get drunk the same way as lushes. One drink at a time.

I would think they are likely to get drunk faster as their body is not used to it, but this is guessing.

They are likely to feel the effects sooner, yes, but their blood alchohol will go up at the same rate. Or at least, I guess so. Whether alcohol uptake occurs faster for those not used to it is a medical question, and I am probably unqualified to answer with certainty.

The Handbook specifically states that WoW violations are not cause for formal church discipline. Not that his bishop won't ask to speak to him about it.

And he won't be a serving bishop while serving in a political office. As I recall it, the policy is to release those who have been elected to public office. The office becomes in effect their church calling.

But male elected LDS still serve as home teachers.

It wasn't just the WoW violation. Drinking isn't a criminal act in this country. However DUI is a criminal act in every state in this country. He should be thankful that no one was killed or injured. Which, if someone was, would make it a felony here in California. Also he brought public disrepute to the Church. TTBOMK Church discipline can vary from excommunication down to a long talk with his Bishop. The former isn't likey to happen but I imagine the latter will.

I would think they are likely to get drunk faster as their body is not used to it, but this is guessing.

We all show differences when we drink alcohol. Some "handle it" well, others not so much. But that probably has more to do body mass to alcohol intake percentage than being "used" to it. A BMI of .11% is legally drunk in every state that I know of, and .08% in mine.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't just the WoW violation. Drinking isn't a criminal act in this country. However DUI is a criminal act in every state in this country. He should be thankful that no one was killed or injured. Which, if someone was, would make it a felony here in California. Also he brought public disrepute to the Church. TTBOMK Church discipline can vary from excommunication down to a long talk with his Bishop. The former isn't likey to happen but I imagine the latter will.

The Senator has pleaded guilty to the DUI. I couldn't give a hoot about his drinking, but driving with a BAC of .11 was criminal. I suspect in time we'll hear more from this Senator as underlying causes become increasingly unbalancing unless he gets some serious help.

The Senator has pleaded guilty to the DUI. I couldn't give a hoot about his drinking, but driving with a BAC of .11 was criminal. I suspect in time we'll hear more from this Senator as underlying causes become increasingly unbalancing unless he gets some serious help.

The drinking is between him and his Bishop. The DUI is between him and the state. Not a fun position to be in. I too hope he gets all the help he needs very soon if not immediately.

Archived