Feel Like Looking For A Needle In A Hay Stack

The_RealEnigma

I remember when I was 13, there was this girl I really liked, we were close, we were like boyfriend and girlfriend, but our interactions were purely harmless, we respected the law of chastity and ourselves. One day I told her I loved her, and then everything went south. As I have gotten older I have looked back and thought, "You know, that was very wise of her!" Oh sure it hurt and it was hard but really it was for the best.

After that I decided I wouldn't date till after my mission, my reasoning was simple and well intentioned, I wanted to wait till I could freely get attached to someone before I repeated that mistake again. Well the road to hell is paved with good intentions, my mission came and went and suddenly I found myself no longer bound by that idea. The problem was that I had and still have a very bitter resentment of my peers in the church. Growing up I has harassed and bullied by the bishop’s son and his cronies, I had the miss fortune of being in a very cliquish ward for most of my life.

So I reasoned to myself that I needed to get an education before I got married so that I could support a family. Again my intentions were good but misplaced.

Then I joined the Army and after arriving at my first duty station was told I would be deploying in six months, so yet again I reasoned "I can't date till my deployment is done".

Eventually I had an epiphany, I realized that I had been making excusess and frankly continued to do so until a while Ago. I was afraid of marriage, I saw nothing good about it, then I read a book called "What I wished I'd known before I got married" by Gary Chapman. Suddenly here it was all spelled out, the common problems married couples encounter and what to do about them.

Since reading this book and a few others I have done and 180 about getting married but now face a dilema: I'm 30 going on 31 and feel like I'm looking for a needle in a haystack. Most LDS women in the church have married by now. All that is left (or so it seems) are the ones who don't want to get married and or have been married and are now bitterly divorced, etc.

I am man enough to admit that I did this to myself, I was stubborn and had to learn the hard way, now that I have grown to the point that I desire marriage I fear that it is too late. I does not mean that I am going to use that as another excuse but I fear that it's going to make my work that much harder.

Hello Real Enigma...

Please... please let this old lady send you heartfelt encouragement to go before the Lord... pour out your heart to him... what your fears were and now how you are desirous to marry... ask the Spirit to be with you that you will be able to find a special person that will become your eternal companion. (There are thousands of faithful LDS women who would just love to have someone like you... don't settle for anything less than someone who is also faithful LDS... keep the Spirit with you... walk a righteous path and I have faith that you will be blessed). Yes, it may take a little longer, but be patient. Try and place yourself in situations where you will meet single LDS women, even if you have to change locations, or enroll in institute, etc.

Now I'm going to talk plainly to you... don't just look for the "pretty" girls, or the most popular. Don't overlook a "plain Jane" so to speak. Be willing to get to know and date someone who at first may seem quiet or shy. Maybe she has a few extra pounds... maybe she wears thick glasses. I speak from experience... when I was in high school I was very active in school activities and ran with what could be considered the "popular" crowd. Most of the boys I dated were also active in sports, student council, etc. Then I went to BYU as a freshman... The boys from Helaman Halls ate in our cafeteria and I had the opportunity to meet and eat with many of them. I soon learned that those who weren't the best looking or the most popular relied on other things, like they had developed a wonderful sense of humor and personality... even the shy ones. I came to appreciate a fellow for who he was when given a chance to open up... I had a fantastic time and grew in maturity myself... and when I went home I planned on returning... but then I met the man who would become my non-LDS husband (a whole 'nother story) for 38 years...

My point is... be open... stay faithful... and I believe you will be blessed... Good luck...

from the beach on a sunny afternoon with "snow down to the valley floor" predicted... which usually means we will get some here on the coast...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I wouldn't characterize all women over 30 in those terms! ha! some just haven't met the right guy yet, some are shy, some just don't want to get married, some have been engaged and broke it off, some date and date and date and some live in areas where there isn't a huge LDS population-like me, but I am not a women so don't get the wrong idea

There really are plenty of single women who are your age. It is true that some of them have given up counting on having a spouse, and have invested a lot in living a fulfilled life in a different way than they had planned. So don't expect the same ease you might have had when you were younger and a recent RM. OTOH, the whole, competent woman in her own right, can make the relationship itself much richer and not nearly so scary for you. (Of course she may make more money than you and she may be very afraid at the idea that she will stay home with children, on the chance that you will be a good provider and she can always count on you --- by the time you are thirty you know lots of women who are divorced after once having thought that way.)

They might not be attending the single events (because at 30 it is hard to fit in either of the singles groups, and many places don't have enough for a mid-singles group. Tell your college roommates you are still in touch with, your extended family, your home teachers, your friends that you will go on a 30 minute date with anyone they suggest. (That may be all the time the women in this group want to spend on a blind date either. Always make it for hot chocolate or something else that can turn into a date but isn't one until you both decide it is worth it.) Join your ward choir, volunteer to do child care for the RS meetings or clean up.

Not a needle in a haystack. Just not the way you would have done it 10 years ago. You'll get there.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By nuclearfuels
      Kenya legalized polygamy in 2014.  Any readers here serve mission there and have to tell investigators they'd need to stop the practice before being able to be baptized? I understand in Latin America a lot of married people split up but forgo the legal part of making the divorce official and that has to be done before they can be baptized.
      Germany is trying to indirectly legalize polygamy for one of their migrant culture's beliefs. 
      My wife and I support our ancestors who practiced polygamy, to say nothing of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob practicing polygamy.
      Curious as to your thoughts:
      Will other African countries and European countries following suit? Will / Should people in Congress - Ilhan, Tlaib, Romney, Bishop, etc. allow migrants here to practice what their faith encourages?  Declining populations (Japan, Europe) really have two options: welcome in higher fertility populations from other countries or legalize polygamy. 

Pushed by politicians, polygamy enjoys a heyday among Christians in ...
      Germany: Citizenship for Polygamous Migrants?  
    • By nuclearfuels
      So now that President Nelson has shown us how he roles and how the inspiration he receives roles, I can't help but ask/ponder aloud with my cyber-ward-family/friends (I don't know any of you well enough to consider our relationship to be that of frenemies, my apologies):
      - I figure we have maybe two years until the BSA program (love it or hate it) will be replaced
      - Several years ago, maybe 10+ years, there was talk about mini-Temples being created in levels other the main entry level of stake centers; wondering if this idea might come back?  Really I'm just looking for an excuse to goto Ireland and a Temple openhouse seems to be that opportunity; slainte!
      - Wondering if any of you have written to General Authorities and asked about topics like these; anyone received a response?  Since "marriage" has been legally "redefined," I'm curious to ask the GA's if redefining marriage in the vein of Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Moses, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young and many others defined marriage.  Waiting for SCOTUS to "redefine marriage" again (before reinstituting), would be more palatable no doubt, but aren't we on kind of an accelerated time schedule/ last days etc.?  And when you attend the Temple, don't the Sisters outnumber the Brothers by a factor of 3 to 1, on average?
    • By MeeMee
      My question as I am still a new convert is how many times can you be sealed to someone or others. Say for example you were sealed to your current husband but he pass away. Years later down the line you meet someone and want to get sealed with the new husband instead. How does it work in the end. I never understand this and every time I ask someone nobody seems to really want to explain it. Please clarify only if you truly have the answer.
      Thank You

• By Five Solas
      Related to the “Baptisms for the Dead in the Second Temple?” thread – but now the question is whether LDS-style “temple marriages”/”eternal marriages” were performed in the Second Temple (prior to its destruction in 70 AD).
      In the previous thread we established vicarious ordinances for the dead were not authorized until after Christ’s resurrection.  Therefore it would have been a very short window of opportunity (from a historical perspective) for any such proxy work to have been performed in the ancient temple.  And no one on that thread made any argument in favor of such work being done there.  So I think we succeeded in getting that answer.
      So now I want to shift gears and focus on ordinances for the living, using marriage as an example.   Is there any evidence to suggest temple marriages/eternal marriages were performed in the Second Temple?
      If so, what is that evidence?  What do folks think?
      --Erik
      PS.  I remember a stake fireside, back in my LDS days, where the recently-released temple president (Seattle temple) came and spoke.  (This would have been early in the last decade.)  He was old and frail and strikingly tall and thin – but he had a strong voice and expressed himself clearly.  He had held the position for a long time and was much admired and respected, and I recall a sort of hushed reverence in the room.
      I came motivated by some mix of loneliness (I didn’t have anything else to do on a Sunday evening) and some curiosity (I had never met a temple president before).  So I didn’t have quite the same sentiment as others.  And as a result, I undoubtedly gave his words a more critical reception.
      He talked about being asked numerous questions in his capacity at the temple, participating members sometimes looking to him for guidance and clarity on difficult questions—and how he would always admonish questioners to seek out the answers themselves through a combination of prayer and meditation while there.  He didn't answer questions, he redirected questioners--that was an important part of his calling. 
      But what really caught my attention was his expressed belief the temple was carrying on “the same” practices and tradition that had been done at the time of Christ—and indeed all the way back “to Adam.”  How exactly that last bit was possible—no one asked, and I dismissed it as a bit of hyperbole (although he gave us no reason to think he considered it such).  The LDS temple and what transpired therein was connected to antiquity.  He wanted us all to understand he had played his part in a truly ancient play.
      Afterwards with a few folks who were left I made a small joke that the City of Bellevue (where the “Seattle” temple is actually located) probably wasn’t appreciating their growing herd of feral goats (referring to the ancient Israelite practice of “scapegoating” – where one goat would be sacrificed and the other banished to the wilderness, Leviticus 16:8).  But as was not infrequently the case, my humor fell flat.  (Yet another spiritual moment soiled, dang it!)
      So it was particularly interesting to me to read the replies on that other thread.  The old gentleman would have disapproved.
    • By nuclearfuels
      So it's like this-
      Got two brothers in Northern UT.
      These bro's, like me, aint got game.
      One of them speaks with a friend who is a lady at work.
      Lady friend talks about how great it would be to own a puppy.
      During my weekly call to my bro's I've asked if I could send a stuffed animal puppy, real live puppy, or gift certificate to buy real live or stuffed animal puppy to lady friend.
      Got a solid NO GO on those three suggested approaches...since this bro has been fired from the UT Tax Commission after calling a lady friend who gave him her phone number. Her Dad went ballistic, got his daughter (bro's friend), his wife, himself, and my bro fired.  This bro also got a DUI for driving to slow due to not taking his medication when he was in MT or ID, like 10+ years ago.
      I still want to send some type of puppy. Ladies, what would you suggest?
      Bro number 2 likes a lady friend from ward he just moved out of.
      Bro 2 doesn't drive.
      He'd like to send his lady friend (not girlfriend) some flowers (not roses) and invite her to some of the xmission website singles activities in northern UT. 
      Ladies, would that be too forward?