Dreams

Does it mean anything if you see a bird in your dreams?

What if the bird looks like it's dead, but it's still breathing?

Some people believe that if you see birds in your dreams it means that someone you know is in danger of dying.

Is that true?

What if during your waking hours, you drop a picture and it lands face down?

Is that a warning?

(I don't know if this is superstition, or if God speaks to people in such ways, but these kinds of things trouble me sometimes.)

There's nothing in LDS doctrine to answer these questions. The people who know the most about dreams are the Aborigines of Australia. The followers of Carl Jung also have some useful ideas on dreams.

In my experience, omens are typically accompanied by a strong intuitive sense that the event has meaning and that you need to pay attention and ponder it. I would ask the querent how the event felt to them, what the picture meant to them, etc.

About the dream, again, what did it feel like to the dreamer? How did she experience the bird? What kind of bird was it? Most of the time symbols in omens or dreams are interpreted through the person's relationship with the symbol.

So does that mean that if the person had heard that seeing a bird in a dream means death (or the danger of death) that that's what it actually means?

Not quite. Does the dreamer most respond to a bird in a dream with the idea of death, or does she most respond with some other idea? Simply hearing about a meaning doesn't create that meaning in her dreams.

Now, it should be pointed out that some birds, especially corvids, are considered psychopomps in many shamanic traditions.

Are all dreams messages from God?

And do things like falling pictures have meaning?

I would say no. Some may be just indigestion. I once had a dream that I was being chased by a bear. In my dream I rolled under a log to escape the bear and rolled right out of bed. I don't know if it meant anything but it sure hurt to fall out of bed onto a hard floor. Thinking about it it may have been a warning to get bed rails.

Edited by ERayR

Are all dreams messages from God?

And do things like falling pictures have meaning?

Some dreams are from God, some are from the intuition/subconscious, some from other sources and some have no meaning at all.

The falling picture usually is just a falling picture, but it your intuition tells you to pay attention then do so.

I would say dropping a picture face down is no more than dropping a picture. If drop a picture or flip a coin 100 times, probability says 50 times would be face down (unless the picture frame were inbalanced one way or t'other).

I can accept dreams as a form of communication for two reasons:

- the scriptures have plenty of examples of dreams for revelation

- a dream is the chance for your sub-concious mind to sort out it's junk. You could have (sub-conciously) noticed something that the dream tries to bring to your attention.

As for birds and dying. No, not in and of themselves every time. But... Isaiah and Jesus taught in parables and symbols that had relevance to the audience.

If God wanted to warn you of someone's death and if He wanted to do it in a dream and if a dead bird already exists for you as a symbol of death, he might use that. But he might not for me because it has no meaning and I would ignore it.

On the other hand, if you place meaning on the symbol, your sub-concious could also use it in dream, even if the death concern had no real foundation - that it was just a worry (e.g. A loved one going off to do a tour of Iraq).

Finally, I think 99.99% of what we dream is meaningless, beyond it's usefullness to allow the mind to relax.

Some people believe that if you see birds in your dreams it means that someone you know is in danger of dying.

Is that true?

Is that a warning?

(I don't know if this is superstition, or if God speaks to people in such ways, but these kinds of things trouble me sometimes.)

Sounds like a lot of superstitious nonsense...to be blunt. However I do believe dreams can be forms of revelation in some cases. Especially if a message is communicated. If it is a puzzling symbolic dream (as in the ones that Daniel and Joseph) if God provides an interpretation then it can be a revelation. But many dreams are just that dreams of no real import other than perhaps it may mean something that is deep in the mind that one is dwelling on. I do believe that inspired dreams are rare and that most fall into the meaningless category. As for dropping a picture being some sort of warning, superstitious hogwash...sorry for the bluntness. But it sounds too much like "throwing salt over one's shoulder" or not "putting a hat on a bed" these are folklore that has no real basis in fact or truth. At least that is my take.

Is that true?

Is that a warning?

Omens are for pagans.

If you have a dream that means something (Lehi's dream for example) then you will know. Other then that enjoy dreams as you can and avoid the ones that are nightmares.

Note that if you want to have trippy dreams listen to "Phantom of the Opera" while reading Revelation right before going to bed. I had dreams about a seven-headed dragon wearing phantom masks. It was fun.

Omens are for pagans.

If you have a dream that means something (Lehi's dream for example) then you will know. Other then that enjoy dreams as you can and avoid the ones that are nightmares.

Note that if you want to have trippy dreams listen to "Phantom of the Opera" while reading Revelation right before going to bed. I had dreams about a seven-headed dragon wearing phantom masks. It was fun.

intriguing! I once had a dream where I was in Elder Russell Nelson's office, eating M&M's and talking about them-I hope it never comes true

The significance of a dream can often be determined by how we express it:

"Last night, I had a dream that my grandfather told me to buy stock in Chevron"

"Last night, my grandfather came to me in a dream and told me to buy stock in Chevron"

Does the second statement describe something different than the first?

Edited by cinepro

dreams can be a lot of fun if you can remember them. In order to really understand your own dreams you have to understand yourself. I know that sounds like %$7$ but it is true. If you really want to understand dreams I suggest research and lots of it also meditation. Carl Jung is a good place to start also some new age type websites have some good info but you have to sort through all the crap to get to it. (and there is a lot of crap out there) One other thing there are people out there who dream the future. It is a lot more common than you think most who do this shrug it off as deja vu and never make the connection to their own dreams. whether you decide to do more research or shrug it all off good luck to you.