Get Ready

cdowis

http://www.maiateas.com/support-files/food_storage_recipes.pdf

I have decided to follow the prophet, and this is a very good time to do food storage, but the problem for my family is to actually eat what we store. My family is very reluctant to do this so I have a difficult conversion process.

So, here goes. I am using this recipe book and we decided to make one new meal or dish each week to become acquainted with our food storage. I am somewhat blunt, but basically I said, "Learn to eat this, or someday we will die." I pointed out what happened to the Hurricane Sandy victims who were forced to drink flood water filled with pollutants. When the time comes that we need to go to our storage, that is not the time to learn how to use it.

So, over the post weeks, this is what we have done.

Used powered milk to eat boxed cereal -- the young kids and myself drink it with no problem because the cereal masks the flavor.

Made oatmeal cookies. Based on that experience, we decided to add raisons and perhaps brown sugar or molasses to our larder.

Oatmeal cereal (again with raisons). I was surprised when my wife pronounced it as "good".

We need to add additional items, such as a good can opener, and a coffee grinder for cracked wheat. We also learned to very old wheat does not sprout very well. Need new wheat, I suppose.

This is an exciting project, and look forward to the next week. Perhaps check our water supply that has been stored for several years, see how difficult it is to use a pump.

Anyway, I really feel this is the time to "follow the prophet" in this regard.

In the future, you might want to emphasize buying items for your food storage based on what you normally eat. An emergency is not a good time to alter your eating habits.

If you can find a copy of Food Storage for the Clueless, I highly recommend it. Perhaps there is a website based on the principles it teaches out there.

I have found that spices are very important. Oatmeal is pretty bland, but add abit of cinnamon really adds to the taste.

Thanks for the suggestion on the book. I will check it out. I understand there was some books on dried mixes, such as soup mix, if anyone knows the title.

Edited by cdowis

I can't recommend The Book of Tofu enough. Easy to make, very nutritious, easy on the digestion for the very young, to the very old. It can be used for everything from salad dressing to main dish.

Most dried soup mixes last for a long time, up to 25 years if kept in a dry cool dark place. Be careful if your family is sensitive to MSG or its close cousin the glutamates Dry soups can have a lot.

Make sure you use up and rotate your spices every six months. Ground they lose flavor quickly after that. Use whole and grind your own whenever possible. A small mortar and pestle works for most families, or a small electric coffee mill works fine too.